'DO NOT REMOVE HELMET' stickers - can you get them?

Montrose Sun

Reaction score
Does anybody know where you can get a helmet sticker (around 2'' by 1'') that says

'Do not remove my helmet if i am in an accident' or words to that effect.

Also, if the sticker was a wee bit bigger perhaps and had my blood group on it too, that would be good.

I know for a fact that all DSA supplied helmets have this on them but i havnt managed to find out where from.

I know Glo-Marka do them but it doesnt ellaborate too much, no blood group and is a bit big - http://www.glo-marka.co.uk/gallery.php?cat=5

2 wheeled humvee from this forum cant help this time.

Can anyone help please?

Ta, Dave :)

The blood group part may make you feel better, but in practice, it's useless- nobody qualified to give blood would do so until they'd cross-matched your type from an actual sample.....the logic being that you could have borrowed the helmet, or have just bought it 2nd hand etc. and giving you the wrong type could kill you.

Stickers available from HERE or HERE or HERE or many many other places.

Google is your friend :)

Would you not want someone to remove your helmet if you were chocking on your own vomit or had an airway blocked ???.

Having thought about this for all of about 30 seconds (less time than I'd have to think in a real, emergency situation), I reckon I can categorically state that, as a competent first aider, if I found a biker lying in the road, after an accident, who, as Steptoe says, might be choking on vomit or having difficulty breathing (ie on the verge of expiring If i did nothing), I wouldn't be looking to see if there was a sticker denying, or indeed giving me, permission to remove a helmet. I would just, preferably with assistance, take the bloody thing off. If I failed to save said biker's life or did so, but aggravated any spinal injury (this is the justification for being careful not to remove a helmet unless it's absolutely necessary), I am confident that no court in this country would hold me liable. It would be seen that, under the circumstances, I had acted in the best interests of the casualty.
Think about it, Dave. I really am making these comments as the kind of guy who, I hope, would never stand around dithering, while a fellow human being was suffering, or, at worst, dying.
I'm trying to be helpful, rather than critical. No offence is intended.
Cheers
Geoff

Let me know your blood group, and where to send it and I'll get you a couple FOC...

looks like this
attachment.php

If I'm wearing your helmet with a blood type sticker, would I get your blood type after an accident? :eek:

Liv.

My Arai Tour X-3 comes with a handy little system, that allows the helmet to be removed whilst keeping the cheek pads positioned naturally, supporting my head (I hope :D)...

I asked the local Hein Gericke lads whether paramedics have been given training to use such a system and apparently they have, but I'm not completely sure about that.

I might fabricate a sticker to indicate where the tabs are to remove the helmet, because by default they are buried a good couple inches inside the cheek pad.

Having been a first aider for more than thirty years and trained First Bike on Scene practitioner the instruction is to remove the helmet if the person is having breathing difficulties, helmet removal is harder than you imagine, it really needs two people to be safe, in a real life situation the downed rider is pretty likely to be drowning in his own vomit and any first aider present has the non choice of doing nothing and watching the rider expire or removing the helmet, a sticker on the helmet would not make any difference, if the casualty is well enough to argue the point he can remove his own helmet. We could all potentially help ourselves by learning and practising helmet removal and getting some training, I would rather have someone who is trained to do so removing my lid though in real life I wear a flip front lid that only needs opening.
Stewart

If I'm wearing your helmet with a blood type sticker, would I get your blood type after an accident? :eek:

Liv.

No and that's why there's no point having a sticker with your blood group on it. I believe that even if you had your blood group tatooed across your forehead, you'd need to be cross-matched before being given a transfusion.

Having been a first aider for more than thirty years and trained First Bike on Scene practitioner the instruction is to remove the helmet if the person is having breathing difficulties, helmet removal is harder than you imagine, it really needs two people to be safe, in a real life situation the downed rider is pretty likely to be drowning in his own vomit and any first aider present has the non choice of doing nothing and watching the rider expire or removing the helmet, a sticker on the helmet would not make any difference, if the casualty is well enough to argue the point he can remove his own helmet. We could all potentially help ourselves by learning and practising helmet removal and getting some training, I would rather have someone who is trained to do so removing my lid though in real life I wear a flip front lid that only needs opening.
Stewart

I do first on scene training and i never instruct on helmet removal, there are many problems associated with this and as Stewart rightly states, its a two person job.
I can get an airway without removing a helmet, its called a jaw thrust, i have never come across anyone vomiting into a helmet or otherwise due to road traffic collision, and i have been to enough.
airway, breathing, circulation are main priority
bits of visor/helmet/screen etc removed from face eyes throat
bikers dont usually land flat on their back, so helmet removal becomes very difficult
helmets due to shape and design unless supported by a fangled 'c spine' collar (the ones bmw sell) could and do rotate :eek:

anyhoo, blood group sticker, na not required, a name is better as hearing is the last sense to go.
PM me if anyone wants further info.

Harry

No and that's why there's no point having a sticker with your blood group on it. I believe that even if you had your blood group tatooed across your forehead, you'd need to be cross-matched before being given a transfusion.

Thank you for writing that!:thumb2

Some years ago I was wearing a special bracelet, a tiny SOS box, with my name and blood type inside it.
Doctors told me that would not help much as they do as you wrote, because they do not know if the information inside are correct or for me.
But if I was a diabetic or something like that, it might help a little.

:) Liv.

You probably wouldn't even get cross matched. You'd get my blood.

O neg :thumb2

It's why I give blood and have done since the day I was allowed to.

I've had call to have transfusions twice in my life, but I've given that back tenfold (and slightly more now)

So when you next find yourself bleeding under the wheels of a car, just remember me and my blood saving your life.

Or, you could get yourself down to your donor centre and do your bit... :augie

You probably wouldn't even get cross matched. You'd get my blood.

O neg :thumb2

It's why I give blood and have done since the day I was allowed to.

I've had call to have transfusions twice in my life, but I've given that back tenfold (and slightly more now)

So when you next find yourself bleeding under the wheels of a car, just remember me and my blood saving your life.

Or, you could get yourself down to your donor centre and do your bit... :augie

I gave blood before, but when I started to take pills for my blood pressure they threw me out. :tears

I'm A neg so I could use your 0 neg! Stay healthy, we never know... :bounce1

:) Liv.

I am a paramedic. Removing a modern, well fitting full face helmet whilst still maintaining neutral alignment is not easy and definately requires 2 trained people. Motorcyclists are far more likely to get a C-spine injury than any other road user due to the extra weight of the helmet. If the rider is concious and alert DO NOT REMOVE THEIR HELMET, if they choose to remove it themselves thats up to them but if they can they probably don't have a spinal injury anyway.

If they are unconcious keep their head still and try and lift the visor/chin bar and check the airway is clear and that they are breathing. It is very unlikely that they will vomit, the danger comes from the tongue which can fall back and block the airway or as I had the other day bite it in half so you have bleeding and tissue clogging things up.

If you have any doubts that the airway is not clear and the rider is struggling to breath/not breathing you must do something quickly or they may die. Either move the rider so he is in the recovery position allowing any fluid to drain, perform a jaw thrust which lifts the tongue or remove the helmet as carefully as you can.

It's a frightening scenario to be in and if it is really serious you won't get the time to ponder on your course of action, you certainly haven't got time to wait for us to arrive!

I have been to dozen's of motorcyle accidents, most fortunately are relatively minor (if you call broken legs minor!), I have only treated 2 who had serious airway problems despite many with lowered levels of conciousness. So you will be extremely unlucky to find yourself in this position, but it may happen. What I've said is for guidance and is not a substitute for some proper training, there are plenty of company's doing it out there and hopefully it might just safe someones life one day.

Ride safe out there

Back
Top Bottom