Where to put the Kenwood.........???

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in the process of sorting an Autocom system for my GSA. I have spoken to GS Rich and he says that ther is no room under the seat for anything other than the logic box.

Ideally, I would like the walkie-talkie hardwired and secure on the bike rather than in a jacket pocket/ tank bag (dont like tank bags) etc. and was wondering if anyone had some natty ideas??

Thanks in advance....:)

What it really needs is a lockable plastic (not metal as it will interfere with signal) box that can be bolted on. Or not, what do you think, do most of you keep the walkie - talkie in tank bags or their pockets????:nenau:nenau

Would appreciate any advice.

Tank bag for me. Not a problem when you get used to connecting/disconnecting it.

Kenwood

I've used the tank bag but you can get a small magnetic type pouch/bag from Autocom. Small enough not to get in the way ,big enough to do the job.. My other choice is the 'bumbag', everything fits neatly within, leaving you only with the power lead to connect to.. Alternatively, I have a small bag which sits behind the seat and attached to the plate by straps, out of the way and the radio aerial is out in the open - best for reception/transmission.. All methods have worked well for me during quite a few long trips in groups..

Hope the above helps you...

Joe C...

Si
I've a 1200GSA.
My Autocom unit is on the back of the tank, under the seat, secured by rubber bands to the "handbook holder". The power feed is from the back of the accessory socket. My radio is in the tool tray (it's a Motorola) and is conected to the Autocom unit for power ie it's hard wired to the bike. I leave the radio switched on all the time and the whole lot comes on with the ignition.
Cheers
Geoff

I have a K1200S - I know - wrong site!!

As stated above - wrong bike for here... but...

I was told repeatedly in the last 10 days round Europe that the range of my radio was crap...

Kenwood and perfect when upright - but when squeezed horizontally under seat (permanently powered when ignition on) not so good

Saw loads of bikes with external aerials and thought this may be the answer - thoughts??

Si,
I have purchased a small grey electrical enclosure from Maplins along with a 16mm cable gland. The radio fits inside just fine and the antenna goes out through the cable gland. ( you have to drill the box in the correct position for the gland to line up with antenna).
The cabe from radio to autocom is run through a small slit cut into the box wall and sealed with self amalgamating tape (or silicon) . The box is then mounted into the space under the rear carrier, bolting through holes for top box mount. The box is IP 69 and with a bit of sealant this can be maintained.
Mine has been like this for two years with no water ingress or problems. total cost about £6 and about half an hour to fit.
The only "down side " is that the lid has to be removed to change the channel.

Regards,
Dave.

how about in one of these?

01-055-1226-0_I_01.JPG

Back
Top Bottom