Kids computer

columbus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a computer for my daughter who is 7 years old:angel. The options I have are

1 - update our desktop which is over 10 years old

2 - Give her access to this laptop which is my main one.

3 - Buy her one of her own so that she can do as she wishes without any worries about damaging / wiping my laptop.

I am not to hot on computers so any advise / experiances is much appreciated as she is using computers every day at school and her knowledge is quickly catching up on mine.:rob

thanks

Kids download stuff, downloading stuff is a great way to get a couple of good looking viruses. Updating an old machine would be the perfect solution as it's usually cheap to do (most of the time) and is a great start for anyone new to computing.

ILMV

I have been thinking about getting a computer for my daughter who is 7 years old:angel. The options I have are

I am not to hot on computers so any advise / experiances is much appreciated as she is using computers every day at school and her knowledge is quickly catching up on mine.:rob

thanks

being 7 she ll probably know more than you;)

ask what she can do
what she wants to do
what shes been doing on computers at school
can they log into a school network to go over the lessons they have been doing

try a local repair shop for a decent upgraded one:thumb2

if it will have internet access install K9 - it should keep her safe ... (and it's free ):thumb2

What about those new portables based on the Intel Atom processor, f.ex. Acer, Asus etc. They are relatively inexpensive and give good value for money.

Why does a 7 year old need internet access?. If she has a genuine need (as opposed to demanding use of Twitter/Facebook etc.) then parental supervision means she won't be allowed either to download questionable software or give out personal information to the undesirables who use childrens' networking sites to search for vulnerable victims. Allowing a little girl unrestricted and unsupervised internet access is like letting her out on the street in a short skirt and no knickers.

Back
Top Bottom