Modifying the indicator switches

Fair enough, but - is there any other motor vehicle around which uses more than one switch to operate the indicators? I can't think of any vehicle manufacturer who's decided that one switch isn't enough.

And that includes those manufacturers who make BMWs with more than two wheels.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the horn button's in the wrong feckin' place too. :p

The only thing that hits the horn button on my bike is the feckin tank-bag!

:rob

The only thing that hits the horn button on my bike is the feckin tank-bag!

Sounds about right. For horn duties I tend to substitute a quick toot on my left indicator.

Fair enough, but - is there any other motor vehicle around which uses more than one switch to operate the indicators? I can't think of any vehicle manufacturer who's decided that one switch isn't enough.

Not many manufacturers use the flat twin engine or weird front end either! It's only a feckin indicator switch. Live with it for godsake. If one wee switch upsets folk so much they must have feck all to worry about. Maybe they should think about a nice sensible bike with normal switchgear,suspension,engine etc & buy 1 of the many boring Jap bikes.

Not many manufacturers use the flat twin engine or weird front end either! It's only a feckin indicator switch. Live with it for godsake. If one wee switch upsets folk so much they must have feck all to worry about. Maybe they should think about a nice sensible bike with normal switchgear,suspension,engine etc & buy 1 of the many boring Jap bikes.

It's not "one wee switch" though, is it?

IT'S FECKING 3!!!!!!

:mad:

Have you thought about getting a nice wee Versys? :augie

Look boy, I had BMs before they felt the need for 3 switches where one would do...an I've had a few o'the Jap thingies too..so don't be patronising me now..

:beerjug:

My BMW doesn't have a flat twin engine or a weird front end (unless you count upside-down forks :D).

And I can worry about lots of things simultaneously, thanks.

And - at present - my F800GS is the bike I want. :beerjug: Like Mr K, I just have to live with the switches I don't want.

Look boy, I had BMs before they felt the need for 3 switches where one would do...an I've had a few o'the Jap thingies too..so don't be patronising me now..

:beerjug:
Wouldn't dream of it. :) PS Can you pat your head & rub your tummy at the same time?

:topic

Now you've all given your opinions of why the switches are great / crap, how about you actually answer the guy's question?

try looking at Harley Davidosn V-Rods - some of them have stuff very similar to the BMW system.

try looking at Harley Davidosn V-Rods - some of them have stuff very similar to the BMW system.

"One swallow does not make a summer" - but point taken. Wouldn't have one of those though... :D

THE 3 SWITCH SYSTEM IS SHITE!!!

I agree and have only ever really ridden BMWs - the one switch system prior to about 1990 was far better.

I have never really got used to using the RH switch

I did :blast See below :comfort

No ya didn't. These are his questions:

"Anyone got any experience of moving the indicator cancel button to the left handlebar?"

And:

"Figured there may be an easy way to extend the wiring over to the left and put a switch of some sort over there?"

Neither of which was answered by:

"get out and do the miles and learn how to ride it properly"

You might as well have posted "fit new tyres" or "paint it pink" :nenau

A reasonable reply to the original question I thought, removing the need for him to spend extra money and possibly ruining the bike in the event of any warranty claims or when he came to sell it on :D

I dont get this, I can jump on different bikes with little difficulty, I can drive left had drive vehicles, jap cars with reversed stalk controls, old citroens with non cancelling switches on the dash, I dont even need velcro on my shoes, I never understood journalists criticism of the BMV indicators :nenau

Stewart

I dont get this, I can jump on different bikes with little difficulty, I can drive left had drive vehicles, jap cars with reversed stalk controls, old citroens with non cancelling switches on the dash, I dont even need velcro on my shoes, I never understood journalists criticism of the BMV indicators :nenau

Stewart

Me also

I (contravercially) was thinking of this same problem on my way home today. Whilst I appreciate that I bought the bike like this with full knowledge of the switch system.

My thoughts are it may be possible to fit a small "push to make" switch behind the auxiliary light switch (because I have them fitted). It would then be possible to simply push it with the side of my left index finger and let my throttle hand do what it has always done. Stop and go.

Before I get beaten up over this, I have tried to get used to it (although I've only done 2k miles so far), having ridden Jap bikes for 37 years but am of the opinion that If I can change it to suit me better then its worth considering. A bit like modifying the seat or changing the gear lever to suit yourself. I could have left my own seat high but I have now lowered it and it has improved my riding and enjoyment of this bike tremendously.

I could struggle with it but I enjoy my riding and I do not really want to endure it if I do not have to.

OK ....umbrella is up......

Back
Top Bottom