Warning - 660 total GPS failure

Seems like there are three members on the Zumo forum with this fault, so low numbers so far, but thanks for the heads-up.

A couple of those had the fault straight after doing the 3.30 update, so hopefully those who are OK after doing the update will be OK long term ?

My 660 got the 3.30 upgrade on registration last week, worked fine (only in the car so far, want to be 99.9% happy before re-wire GS for it, taking out 2610 gubbins...) until yesterday when the maps disappeared! Still navigated but screen blank; tried restarting route and turning off and on again, no joy. Then when switched on in house, map back?

Is this common?

CoGS

I lose maps if I change any menu settings during a journey but only when I am in a speed camera area. This happens a lot on the M1 J28 to J25 where there are average speed cameras that the GPS knows about.

Sometimes I can get the maps back by turning off and on again but sometimes I have had to take the battery out to get them back.

Very confusing and not consistant

Tom

Hmmm....

Curiouser and curiouser!

It was on that same stretch of the M1 I had problems: on my way up from Leicester to Alfreton it was fine, I was impressed with the speed camera warning! But as i approached J28 it froze (the map, still got nav prompts). Then on the way back I lost maps completely. Though the lane prompt page popped up as I approached M42?

Years ago I had similar experience down at Castlemartin, Pembs but that was attributed to MOD activity :augie

Is this something that a hard reset might cure? I haven't amassed much personal data yet to lose ;)

It just seems unreliable. My old 2610 never lost anything (til I dropped it).
I have just contacted Garmin, and they say it will be 5-6 WEEKS before they can send me another. Due to lack of stock. Probably replacing lots of other units that are faulty.
Don't buy one..

I had the same problem on mine (M1 Jcn 28 - 25) and similar problems in Coventry, one where it re-routes me on a trip 2313 miles from the destination that is 7 miles away!

I think this problem is down to the routing information in the map data rather than anything particular to the 660 - or does anyone with a 550 and 2010 maps want to prove me wrong?

My 660 was just cutting out. Would load up to 21% and just cut out! I purchased it from Touratech UK, but am out here in Thailand. I took it to ESRI ( Garmin importer) and after two hours and no charge it seems to be OK now. Still a bit worrying on a new peice of kit just a couple of weeks old....

On the M1 Jcn 28 - 26 thing, I just ran a little experiment using the GPS simulator:

I created a route from Jcn 28 to somewhere south of Jcn 26. Asked it to simulate the route and sure enough the map display puked when it hit the roadworks (indicated by the 50 mph average speed camera warnings).

At least knowing this, we should be able to get Garmin to investigate and fix as it is a repeatable problem and you don't even have to go there to experience it.

If I get time this week, I'll give Garmin support a call and see what they say. If I get anything good back I'll report back here.

Dave

I re-ran North on M1 last Wednesday and, lo and behold, same thing happened! Approaching J26 the map froze and, when tried to correct, maps lost all together. Did anyone going to Lumb Farm have the same problem? :( I really hope this is a geographical glitch that GM can fix (the J26 triangle??) Otherwise, my 660 has been OK.... So far :augie Even tied in my phone in less than5 mins :)

I re-ran North on M1 last Wednesday and, lo and behold, same thing happened! Approaching J26 the map froze and, when tried to correct, maps lost all together. Did anyone going to Lumb Farm have the same problem? :( I really hope this is a geographical glitch that GM can fix (the J26 triangle??) Otherwise, my 660 has been OK.... So far :augie Even tied in my phone in less than5 mins :)

now you mention it.
i did loose my mapping for a short while sat night after joining the M1 at junc 25 heading south from l/farm.

Do you want to make up a Mapsource route, which we can then all try in simulator mode.

We may find a comon factor that's cuasing the problem.

Try turning off the camera warnings - I read somewhere (but can't remember where) that there is something odd in the way that the camera warnings work on this particular stretch of the M1 which affects the screen refresh.

Out of interest, Garmin have just updated the Zumo 550 software from 4.70 to 4.80 to try and fix this UK problem on the 550. Sound the same as what you are describing above ?

Perhaps you need to contact Garmin to see if they are aware of the same problem in the Zumo 660

Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80
Corrected an issue that could cause the map to stop updating when approaching specific safety camera locations in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom