Unplanned Alps sept 09

what did you spend over the course of the trip

what did you spend over the course of the trip

approximate costs -
£85.00-ferry [Portsmouth to He havre www.ldlines.co.uk ]
£350- hotels / food
£300-fuel [2500 miles]
£735-total [ish] call it £800.00
remember i did this trip alone and used hotels.
you could reduce costs if there is more than one.
Or camping /mixture camping / hotels

If i can do it, so can any one of you. :thumb

I've just sat down and read that whole thing from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. Well done.
Off to Yerp on the GSA with the War Department in July. Cant wait now after seeing those pics.
Good show!

Kev :clap

Thanks for the inspiration Ash! :beerjug:

UmbrailPass.jpg

P1000632.jpg

P1000653.jpg

P1000658.jpg

P1000497.jpg

STUSTEVEWANK-1.jpg

Excellent :thumb

Rode many of them passes last year, absolutely fantasic, I even rode the Umbrail on a ZZR1400 (two-up) the unpaved section is smooth and well graded, but I would not want to ride it in the wet!

Agree with Stelvio not being best road to ride, we got snow at the roadside on the summit last August which made it extra special, but it is relatively congested by Alps standards (but still much less so than roads near me)

I reckon the souther ramp of La Bonnette (Restefond) is much better, it does not have clearly defined stacked hairpins, but twists and turns for about eight miles with I would guess over 100 twists / bends, most of which are second and third gear on the GS - all on wide, open, smooth, grippy tarmac, and you can see well ahead all the way down.

Of the passes you mention I remember the Oberalp (and the roads from there all the way down to Chur) being great and really liked the Fluella pass as well.

For those that have not yet been to the Alps, just do it, nothing in the UK comes close, the roads are generally in far better condition, have far more twists and turns per mile than anything in the UK and for the most part there is very little traffic, we got all the way down Bonnette without overtaking another vehicle, and often managed to ride for 10, 15, 30 minutes or even longer without seeing another vehicle and I do not recall getting held up for long once in the mountain roads (Apart from coming across a huge cycle race on the galibier)

Bump for an inspirational RR from a great guy:clap:bow

SEEMS A LIFETIME AGO NOW..........:(

Back
Top Bottom