BMW StreetGuard 3 Suit?

strod

Reaction score
Has anybody got experience of the BMW StreetGuard 3 suit?

It is a fairly expensive purchase which I'm considering, so if possible, I'd appreciate hearing the opinions and experiences of others who have already battle tested it!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Limited use of mine so far, a warranty replacement for my SG2 that discoloured.

Like the SG2 the material is initially stiff (even stiffer than SG2, something I would not have thought possible!) but wears in. Seems waterproof so far - the SG2 was very good in that respect and to my mind was a strong point - not so much that it was waterproof (at that price it ought to be) but that the outer material did not get waterlogged even in all day rain.

The armour is much more obvious in terms of size and feel, but not necessarily a bad thing that, and the untested claim is that the outer material is 20% more abrasion resistant than SG2.

It seems like it will be much as the SG2 in use, dry, heavy (to pick up, but not noticeably to wear), with underarm zipped ventilation, genuinely waterproof pockets, and a useful, easily detachable storm collar. The main zip arrangement is better than SG 2 - having a single water and windproof zip design. The SG2 had a labyrinth dual zip arrangement that worked, but took longer to secure. It seems like it will share the SG2's feature of not being the world's warmest suit. The insulation liners zip in and out easily.

I think that the sizing is as the SG2, but it does not appear to allow for the larger armour dimensions, so bear that in mind - especially when considering what you may want to wear beneath it in the winter.

As always, try sizing carefully before you buy, and perhaps take along your choice of winter wear to make sure it will fit beneath the nominal 'right' size.

If it is as user friendly as the SG2 I will be happy. Early days strongly suggest it will be.

Has anybody got experience of the BMW StreetGuard 3 suit?

It is a fairly expensive purchase which I'm considering, so if possible, I'd appreciate hearing the opinions and experiences of others who have already battle tested it!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

I've had mine (silver, orange, black) for a few weeks now. So far, so good. I haven't had rain, though. It does seem heavy when you pick it up, but it's not noticeable worn. I've taken out the inner linings, will wear them post-October.

I like the pockets arrangement, the hand-seal arrangements and the neck cuffs. I've not seen another on the road yet, but that's more a positive than a negative.

I tried one on, thought it was very short and lacked any lower back protection.

Had one for a few months now and to date no probs. It has been totally waterproof and warm enough with the liner removed. I bought a bigger size, as the reports I read about the SG suit stated they are not a warm garment, this will allow me to wear an extra fleece should I ride through the winter. I also prefer a slightly looser jacket. I'm a 43/44" chest(depending on the Guiness situation) and I bought a size 56, although in hindsight I reckon I could of got away with a 54. Seems a good jacket. :thumb2 Not tried the trousers although I'm seriously considering buying a pair, it's just the price £400+ for a pair of breeks. I'll Keep using my Halvarsson Cobra's.

Interesting i have had my SG3 suit now for about 6 weeks. The first jacket leaked under both arms, now replaced but noticed this morning the main zip has lost 2 teeth low down, so not very impressed so far considering the cost. This jacket does seem water proof though as are the trousers. I will let you know what they say about the zip!

Streetguard 3 also for skiing!

I bought Streetguard 3 last July in time for my 3 week European bike tour and it came through with flying colours. No leaks at all in some of heavy rains encountered. I was also caught in a freak hailstorm in the Dolomites with flash floods on the roads. Quite scary but my SG3 still withstood all the weather could threw at me keeping my T-shirt and pants underneath completely dry! I left detachable inner thermal linings behind at home but I was mostly comfortable in the temperature range from 10 to 30 deg C. A little too hot from the low 30's but with armpit vents open and front zip partially opened down my chest, you are OK on the move. For hot weather riding abroad in the summer, I think I will go for BMW ComfortShell or equivalent but am very happy with SG3 which is definitely more suited to the UK climate all year round or winter/spring/autumn in Europe. SG3 may be an expensive investment but should look after you for the next 5 years or so. Besides, as a bonus, I'll be wearing SG3 on ski slopes next winter as it is perfectly adaptable for skiing with protectors removed for extra freedom of movement on skis!:thumb

Zipper

I really liked my Streetguard 3. I got the full suit, partly because it's one of the few jackets that comes in a euro size 64.
Unfortunately one month in the waterproof zip dropped a pair of teeth low down so the fastener came off in my hand! I've had to wait 2 weeks for a replacement.
I noticed that the same pair of zipper teeth on the replacement are a touch looser than the rest. Could history be destined to repeat itself again before Xmas? I checked two other jackets in the dealers- one had wobbly zipper teeth at the bottom, one didn't.

Aran

I've had mine (silver, orange, black) for a few weeks now. So far, so good. I haven't had rain, though. It does seem heavy when you pick it up, but it's not noticeable worn. I've taken out the inner linings, will wear them post-October.

I still like it, although it's been hung up in the garage since November.

I know that this thread has not had a post for a while but thought I would add my review of the SG3 as it may help someone. I have had the SG3 suit for just over 2 years and ride professionally in all seasons in the United Kingdom, so my kit has some stick and I need it to work well.
I was first attracted to the SG3 because of the bonded Gore-tex which stops the suit getting heavy when wet and therefore cooling you down and I can say that the suit performs really well on this count. In two years the suit has never let a drop of water in and I have been out on the bike for in excess of ten hours at a time in pouring rain.
What else to say about the suit? Whenever I put the suit on I get a real feeling of protection. The fabric is a bit stiff at first but breaks in with time but I feel that it would protect me well in a spill, which fortunately I haven't test. The armour feels great and top quality, yes its a bit stiff, but on the bike it is unobtrusive. Points that I really like about this suit are the cuff in the sleeve which fits inside the glove helping to keep out the rain, the pockets which are totally waterproof and have kept my mobile phone dry in all weathers without problem, and the cool-black really does work when the temperatures get up in the British summers. Plus I really like the look of the suit, after 20,000 miles it still looks smart.(mine is in black).
However, I fell that overall the suit has been somewhat of a let down to me. The cuff, which is a great idea, is just a bit too loose on the wrist, letting in draughts. The collar doesn't have the ability to tighten up close to the neck and again this allows cool air down the back of your neck. Although this might be OK in hotter climates, its definitely a down side on a cold January in Manchester. Overall the suit is colder than others that I've had in the past and has needed an added thermal base layer when I compare it to the Alpine-stars suit it replaced. I have used the suit in all seasons but at times I have been quite cold and that wasn't something I anticipated on a suit of this price.
My biggest gripe with the suit is the main zipper on the jacket. This is a single plastic item which when fastened is totally waterproof. The zip is made by RIRI and has very large teeth which I have found doesn't make it the smoothest to fasten fully. As a result the zip lost two teeth after the first 6 weeks and was replaced under warranty. The second jacket lasted longer but lost its teeth after 2 years. As this jacket had been replaced under warranty BMW have refused to replace it again.
The clothing come with a reasonable 2 year warranty but if you are spending in excess of £600 on the jacket alone, I would expect it to last far more than 2 years, as mine has done.
I so wanted the SG3 to be the best suit ever but overall, even though it has some really good features, it has been a disappointment. To me it doesn't really matter as my employer buys my kit but I would be really miffed if I had paid my own money for something that is now useless.
I must be in the minority as everyone else gives the SG3 rave reviews, but I doubt that heir kit will be as used as mine.
I hope that this review helps someone to make an informed decision before making a large financial investment in their clothing.

I still like it, although it's been hung up in the garage since November.

As an update, mine lost zipper teeth low down a few days before the warrranty expired, but BMW replaced it. I'd changed out the GS from a silver 2009 to the 2010 30yrs anniversary model, so asked if they'd mind replacing it with a black jacket. No probs.

I still like it. Comfortable, waterproof, and it looks good.

Would I spring for another? Probably not. Would probably get something from HG or other, something less expensive that will last just as long.

Very happy with mine. I use a silicon spray on all my zips (i think i got that from Hein Gericke) and never had a problem.

Very happy with mine. I use a silicon spray on all my zips (i think i got that from Hein Gericke) and never had a problem.

Spoke to BMW about my zip not being very easy to use. They suggested using the very technical fairy liquid applied on it. Worked a treat :thumb2

i'm very happy with the suit when it comes to being waterproof, it's 100% even in heavy rain!

also went through spain last year with temperature above 40 degres celcius and it was great too!

BUT... the zip... it's been a disaster (still is!) and sadly the jacket is out of warranty! a friend of mine bought one too just over a year ago and he had similar problem, broke some tooth, BMW changed the jacket for him and said it was a common fault. it seems that BMW has now 'improved' the zip.

i would be keen to see what 'foo monger' has done about his zip's missing teeth.... i don't seem to be able to contact him via PM
(he wrote the following:My biggest gripe with the suit is the main zipper on the jacket. This is a single plastic item which when fastened is totally waterproof. The zip is made by RIRI and has very large teeth which I have found doesn't make it the smoothest to fasten fully. As a result the zip lost two teeth after the first 6 weeks and was replaced under warranty. The second jacket lasted longer but lost its teeth after 2 years. As this jacket had been replaced under warranty BMW have refused to replace it again. )

My zip has now lost half a dozen teeth and it is a real exercise to use it!

does anyone know where i could have the zip replaced please?
cheers!

I've owned a SG3 for just over 2 years [Jan 2010]and haven't experienced the zip issue mentioned. I find it comfortable and warm in the winter and cool in hot weather with the liners removed and vents open under the arms.

i'm very happy with the suit when it comes to being waterproof, it's 100% even in heavy rain!

also went through spain last year with temperature above 40 degres celcius and it was great too!

BUT... the zip... it's been a disaster (still is!) and sadly the jacket is out of warranty! a friend of mine bought one too just over a year ago and he had similar problem, broke some tooth, BMW changed the jacket for him and said it was a common fault. it seems that BMW has now 'improved' the zip.

i would be keen to see what 'foo monger' has done about his zip's missing teeth.... i don't seem to be able to contact him via PM
(he wrote the following:My biggest gripe with the suit is the main zipper on the jacket. This is a single plastic item which when fastened is totally waterproof. The zip is made by RIRI and has very large teeth which I have found doesn't make it the smoothest to fasten fully. As a result the zip lost two teeth after the first 6 weeks and was replaced under warranty. The second jacket lasted longer but lost its teeth after 2 years. As this jacket had been replaced under warranty BMW have refused to replace it again. )

My zip has now lost half a dozen teeth and it is a real exercise to use it!

does anyone know where i could have the zip replaced please?
cheers!

I got my zip replaced by a company in Burnley, Lancashire. They were recommended by Williams BMW in Manchester, where I bought the jacket from.

They do work by post and it cost me £60 to replace the zip. Ive been really impressed by their work and they taped and heat bonded all the seams again so its still totally waterproof.

Can't praise them enough.

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/

Having owned my suit 3 yrs now, done 13 k mls in it my zipper just went. Mine is silver, orange, black and is incredibly filthy and won't clean up in the wash as recommended by bmw. Absolutely waterproof, too hot above 25 degrees and collar doesn't stay upright, folded double. For the cost not sure it offers enough value for money.

Back
Top Bottom