More picture EM 2009

Someone explain to me the point or thought behind taking a bivvy bag to a weekend bike rally when you ride a GS solo and could quite easily fit a tent on it. What do you do with all your gear if it rains all weekend, is it making some kind of statement? :confused:

I don't know the fella but I don't see why he has to explain/justify to anybody why he chose the type of accommodation he lives in when he goes camping. Just my point of view.:thumb

Someone explain to me the point or thought behind taking a bivvy bag to a weekend bike rally when you ride a GS solo and could quite easily fit a tent on it. What do you do with all your gear if it rains all weekend, is it making some kind of statement? :confused:

You just can't help it can you :blast :trippy

I don't know the fella but I don't see why he has to explain/justify to anybody why he chose the type of accommodation he lives in when he goes camping. Just my point of view.:thumb

He doesn't, I'm just trying to undersatnd why you would choose a bivvy over a tent, I can see all the disadvantages but wondered what the advantages were thats all.

You just can't help it can you :blast :trippy

What ask a question :confused:

I for one don't subscribe to the Ewan & Charlie method of overloaded bike syndrome. I've listened to Austin Vince, Dave Lomax (Adventure Spec), Walter Colebatch and many others on keeping the bike as light as possible.

We all knew the weather would be fine and so before the winter sets in I personally wanted to sleep al fresco. I have asthma so the cool night air was very welcome. :thumb2

If it had rained I had dry bags, my bivvi is waterproof, my ortlieb pannier's are waterproof so there would have been no issue.

3936774535_0a07a173f5_b.jpg

of course if the weather turns then I use the tent

2912853438_7e8568cd5b.jpg

and if two up it's the full monty.

3755266012_040636f8aa.jpg

always fancied a BIVVY BAG but don`t know much about them, but surely they are not as heavy as a TENT and a sleeping bag combined :nenau

In the right situation yes as I say I can see the advantages. Travelling on a dirt bike, camping rough and as light as you can in warm climates they must be fantastic.

In the right situation yes as I say I can see the advantages. Travelling on a dirt bike, camping rough and as light as you can in warm climates they must be fantastic.

But the chap in that one looks to have a normal sleeping bag as well, so all you save is the tent, and the difference between a small tent and the bivy when packed surely can't make that much difference?

I like everywherevirtually's setup. Much more versatile than a conventional tent setup. I may go down that route, already got the tarp, just need the bivvy.

Good to talk to you on Saturday night everywherevirtually, those led's looked great, tho the right one was bluer :D

But the chap in that one looks to have a normal sleeping bag as well, so all you save is the tent, and the difference between a small tent and the bivy when packed surely can't make that much difference?

Who cares:blast:nenau

I like everywherevirtually's setup. Much more versatile than a conventional tent setup. I may go down that route, already got the tarp, just need the bivvy.

Good to talk to you on Saturday night everywherevirtually, those led's looked great, tho the right one was bluer :D

It was good to talk to you RC. You're right about the blue LED :augie Although I put my muffs on today so now I have a new challenge of where to put them.

What I liked about the Tarp was it had 6 plastic pegs and that was it. It was down and packed in minutes. My tent is 6kg. The Tarp just over 1kg I reckon. I've recently changed my exhaust and saved another 3kg. I've lost 2kg in weight in the last few months so that is 10kg. That's a fair weight saving.

Austin Vince used bungee cords to anchor the tarp to the bike. Versatility is the key. From now on though it'll be the tent and tarp combo

It's quite simple: He doesn't own a tent.

:)

Back
Top Bottom