Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alps 09 in pics

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Trying to work out what can be done next year to equal this
    You're leaving the planning a bit late aren't you - you've only got a little over 11 months to go

Sounds like you all had a great time tho'

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    You're leaving the planning a bit late aren't you - you've only got a little over 11 months to go

Sounds like you all had a great time tho'
    Barely enough time to sort my pencils.

Had a great time, though

www.humvee-graphics.com Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I got more.............

Day 8
    Many were going their separate ways today, the Northern lads were heading for their ferry (Zeebrugge to Hull ........) the official route was approximately 125 miles with an option to shorten it to just over 80 for the weak willed/the lazy or the sightseers...........
    A plan had been hatched over the previous night's meal to take the tourist train up The Eiger,a train ride-in Switzerland
    The trip involved 2 train rides,swapping trains at 5000feet,it was a clear day and the views,as expected were spectacular..................

After changing trains at Kleine Scheidegg we boarded the second train,this train stops twice for 5 minutes,interested passengers can leave the train and walk down a tunnel where there are windows........the views are spectacular but not for those who suffer from vertigo-are they Angie

The next pic is one that I took of a print in the observation deck-which is reached by travelling another 100plus metres in a lift............

From the outside it looks something like this..................

And to prove I did actually brave the elements............

Inside there were the usual "tat" shops (more fridge magnets.....) a cafe and restaraunt etc. there was also the chance of a walk through tunnels in the glacier,the tunnels had strange powers which conspired to make camera's not work or to alter peoples appearance in strange ways.........

Ice sculptures? yup loads of them

We never intended to stay that long and having got the 9.30am train up the mountain it was surprising how long the trip had taken,Gerry and i arrived back at the station in Grindelwald at 3.30pm !
    More pics-taken on the ride back down the mountain........

Gerry and I took the easier 80 odd mile route back to the hotel in Vevey,later that evening the remaining 8 of us enjoyed a great meal and a few
    Tomorrow we would split and go our separate ways, myself , Gerry,Lee and Richard would leave together and stop overnight in a kyriad hotel leaving a short ride on Sunday to get the Brittany Ferries fast service from Caen to Portsmouth it's supposed to end there................
    It's been a great trip,thanks to all who took part and thanks especially to Mark & Claire
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike
    web shop; www.humvee-graphics.com The originals and the best
    Limited range of our products available on e-bay, our shop; humveegraphics
    Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/humveegraphics

Deleted Member I
    How much did the trip cost? What type of accommodation was used in the end? camping, **/*** or ****+?

Anyone got the routes on Garmin files?

Looked like a great route.

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    How much did the trip cost?

dunno. got a big stack of receipts though. whatever it was, it was worth it

What type of accommodation was used in the end? camping

hotels. usually a choice of high end or more reasonable offered.

**/*** or ****+?

no, you got me there.

Anyone got the routes on Garmin files?

yes. PM me your email and i'll bung them over.

Looked like a great route

it was

Quote Originally Posted by cookie;2028722

[B
    **/*** or ****+?[/B]

no, you got me there.

I think - but don't quote me on it that the uncertain one is referring to the quality of the accomodation ie was it 2/3* or 4*+ rated?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomboxer View Post
    I think - but don't quote me on it that the uncertain one is referring to the quality of the accomodation ie was it 2/3* or 4*+ rated?
    you're right. i was a bit slow on the uptake there.

answer would be **/*** mostly, with a ****/***** option in some places.

Images that make you wanna just sack off going to work for a bit and just take off........

Anyone in?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    As this is the last night the whole group will sit down together for an evening meal something a little special is called for....................over a beer it is decided we are having a "Mongolian buffet" meal,nobody is entirely sure what that entails,some of us recall Timolgra's thread and wonder how we might deal with rampant,vodka fuelled,homosexual Russian truck drivers...........
    2 wheel

We are calling into Grindelwald next month. The meal format looks interesting

Was this at the hotel or did you go elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
    2 wheel

We are calling into Grindelwald next month. The meal format looks interesting

Was this at the hotel or did you go elsewhere?
    Sorry I've only just seen this
    The restaraunt was on the main route through town from the railway station to our hotels, there is a Bar called Gepsi and a restaraunt called Barry's it's upstairs in the restaraunt, street name; An Stotzhalten / Tuftli
    Hope that helps
    Visit our web shop for stickers/graphics/pannier wrap kits for your GS/Adventure bike

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 wheel humvee View Post
    Sorry I've only just seen this
    The restaraunt was on the main route through town from the railway station to our hotels, there is a Bar called Gepsi and a restaraunt called Barry's it's upstairs in the restaraunt, street name; An Stotzhalten / Tuftli
    Hope that helps
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
    Thanks
    on the main street, walk past the bus station and continue for about 300m, its on your left hand side, entry way has a model of the Eiger, and the restaurant is upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by SubMonkeyBoy View Post
    Thanks for a great bit of inspiration, I'm currently doing the planning for my first Euro-Tour.

I like the idea of doing big miles initially to get into the area then doing more sensible miles in the mountains. Also I've got 12 days which means I should be able to do lots of passes even though my mate and I are faffing with tents every day :-(

Anyway wish me luck and when I get back I'll stick a whole load of photos on (I'll have to subscribe first - doh!)
    Good luck and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by kirky1298 View Post
    cracking pics and ride report ,, any chance of the gps file for my first solo euro excursion next year ???
    Has any one got the gps routes available please. PM. or send to

Johnbeach62@hotmail.com.

Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
    Has any one got the gps routes available please. PM. or send to

Johnbeach62@hotmail.com.

Cheers John
    sent

Thank you very much

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast