BT020s - no chicken strips

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I had new tyres fitted, Bridgestone BT020s. After 50-odd miles of gentle scrubbing in I noticed that the "chicken strips" - unused portion of the tyre at the edge - were very thin on the rear tyre.

After a further 100-odd miles of going at my normal pace, the strips are almost non-existent on the rear (although what I'd call normal on the front). I don't think I've been cornering faster or leaning further than before, but the same strips on Tourances were about three time as wide. It has been warm and dry here this weekend, but I've only ridden on roads I've ridden many times before. I certainly wasn't touching pegs or anything else down (and could well s**t myself if I did).

I assume this just reflects a different tyre profile. The tyres themselves feel great. As confidence-inspiring when leant right over as Tourances, but without the slightly vague feeling I used to get from Tourances at lesser angles of lean.

Is it possible to ride "off the edge" of tyres, or am I worrying needlessly? Anyone else noticed this on BT020's yet? Any reassurances gratefully received.

Robin.

spheniscidine said:
.........I certainly wasn't touching pegs or anything else down (and could well s**t myself if I did).Robin.

....Hmmm....obviously not going quick enough, then.......!!

Re: No Chicken Strips

Do you mean the mould flashing on the edge of the tyre where the Tread meets the Wall ?

I have no personal experience of Brigstone 020's on The GS But I can confirm that when I owned a BMW K1200RS I noticed that it varied tyre batch to tyre bactch. Had some Metzlers MEZ4's which were not a great tyre for the K1200RS and they had a mould flashing which could remove tarmac. Seriously thick, but in general I have noticed on Bridgstone BT 010's and 020's that the mould flashing is quiet thin as I said in 180-60-17 & 120-70-17, but it certainly does not impede the quality or performance of the tyre.

If you mean by chicking strip, the bit of tread you are not using in your cornering, then do not worry, If you are leaning it as far as you are happy, why worry !!!!!!! Also most road going tyre bias means that the tread patch join to the wall is thinner, No need for it to be thick unless your only riding is consistantly around a rouandabout ..........:p

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the 020 Tyres you have fitted to your GS, as I said for a road going tyre and my experience with them on a K1200RS I think they are tricky to beat. Currently Running Bridgestone Trailwings on my GSA, Not to bad once warm but skippy when cold I find

Apropos new (road focussed) tyres, the D607s are proving to be quite stunning. These are I am sure in the same league as the Bridgestones, but there is of course the downside of wear. Whilst I am not bothered in the financial sense, I am not looking forward to the rigmarole of changing them too often.
I suspect that my rear tyre will be VERY lucky to see 3000 miles. Good fun though:D :D :D

020's

I have them fitted to mine,but in 17 inch form and there is no way I can lose that chicken strip,I have lost it on other sport tyres that I have had fitted pirelli dragons/dunlop sportmax,but not these babies the profile is just to round,more touring than sport.I won't be useing them again as I found them not very good in the wet and take a long time to get warm.Andy

Attachments

• rear tyre.jpg
    rear tyre.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 444
Sizes

Front - 110/80 ZR 19
Rear - 150/70 ZR 17

I'll post some photos later in the week. From the look of the tyres, I don't think I ride as hard as Andy Malton!!

I chose BT020's on the basis that they should give better cornering grip (i.e more safety margin) than on/off road tyres, however road focussed. I've had several sets on previous bikes, also includig a K1200RS, and always found them great in the wet.

All OK so far, but I'll let you know how I get on if anyone's interested. Tyres can be a bit subjective, though, so don't take my word for anything!!!!

I'm off for a week in Germany soon (which is why I bought them) so should be able to get a couple of thousand miles in and form some proper opinions.

Robin.

I have to disagree with Andy on this one, because I find the 020's simply stunning in the wet!!

I have used them on many bikes and it is definately my tyre of choice for all round riding,quick when you want, extreme angles of lean at will, cruising regularly down the motorway, all perfect on the 020's.

Im currently running the new Dunlop D607's which I find very impressive but wear rate is awfull! You can touch the tyre and the rubber comes off on your hands! Very good tyre but doesn't stick to the road aswell as 020's when cranked right over!

Deffinately going to be ordering the 020's, can't beat them!:D

I had them on one of the first R1100Rs and they were very good indeed. But that was a while ago and it does depend on the model also I think.

I've got BT020's on R1100R alloys fitted to my GS:

120/60 ZR17 front
160/60 ZR18 rear

No chicken strips here........ (cue testosterone fuelled comparisons)

Front:

Attachments

• dscf0006.jpg
    dscf0006.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 392
They have been incredibly good wet or dry, though I got the wrong profile front tyre (should be 120/70 ZR17) so I'll correct this on the next pair. I intend killing these off at the TT in June.....

Rear:

Attachments

• dscf0003.jpg
    dscf0003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 375
ming said:
Nice rusty disk though!

Aye, but they rattle nicely. Full floaters......just shitty spring steel circlips. :(

Anyone tried Pirelli Diablo's? They got a really good write-up in Bike magazine this month & seem well priced.

I'll be interested in what sort of mileage you can get out of BT20's on a GS, I've had them on previous bikes, but always thought that a side benefit of the 'normal' gs rubber was that it lasted a lot longer than the likes of the Bt020's

020's

Paul Young said:
I've got BT020's on R1100R alloys fitted to my GS:

120/60 ZR17 front
160/60 ZR18 rear

No chicken strips here........ (cue testosterone fuelled comparisons)

Front:
Paul, I have a rear 170/60 and front 120/70.I also have a m8 with same set up and even doing the stelvio pass with all them corners and the pace I/we ride at we found it impossible to get rid of it.Iwould be very impressed if you can get to edge especially on the front if it's a 120/70.It wierd other tyres no problem,but these no way.I am not sure if this a good thing or not as no rubber on the road equals no grip and a bike down the road. ATB Andy

Attachments

• front tyre.jpg
    front tyre.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 328
I run the same front Tyre as Andy M.......I can't get it to the edge either.......It's not as if I "steer" round corners........

In fact many-A-time Mrs CC has her Boot lifted off her pegs on contact with the road surface when things get "Spirited" in the twisties............:D

Must be the difference between the /60 and /70 profile......

CC

:cool:

strips

phew,I am glad it's not only me.I was stating to question my techniques.Andy

Wow CC & Andy, I feel like I'm in illustrious company here. To be honest, I think that the main difference is that I'm on a 160 profile & 18" rear rather than your 170 profile, 17" one. The slightly lower profile front may also help but I doubt it.

I also learnt to ride on smaller capacity bikes than my mates so learnt to follow them & keep up by keeping up the corner speed. One of these guys followed me along the A59 from Clitheroe to Bolton Abbey last year & was amazed at the confidence I had in the front tyre's grip as he had never watched me before. At the time, I was on TKC's on the original rims & he was on an Adventure with Tourances or Bridgestones (can't remember which) but the road was ideal - twisty, no cameras & dry with light traffic.

I'm well chuffed with the BT's & if they give 4-5k miles, that's much better than the TKC's I used before.

HTH,
:)

Back
Top Bottom