Thread: The bikes and the gear....

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe

The bikes and the gear....

OK the trip ended abruptly in northern Pakistan, but we had done some 7,500 miles on crap roads and no roads to get there

In any case the F800GS has now done 36,000 miles

36,000 great miles I might add

So how did the bikes and the equipment fare? Wunderlich helped me no end by giving me stuff to test and evaluate... no holds barred, saying nothing here that I haven't already told them

Throttle lock ... great piece of equipment

Seat ... slopes forward and so uncomfortable when braking downhill. A pre production test piece, I hope they listen

Engine protection guard/oil filter/heat exchanger ... Fiddly to fit, over the top and takes twice as many mounting screws, some small and fiddly, to mount, in comparison with the BMW piece. Having said all that it doesn't even protect as well as the BMW one, leaving the lower engine nearside and offside, the lower exhaust, unprotected

Trax Panniers ... They leaked from the outset, the frames are flimsy and bend oh so easy. Held together by Zuz quick release fasteners the frames and panniers bent at a drop from standstill and for the rest of the trip were out of alignment. Sue dropped her bike several times in the Gobi desert four years ago and the Hepco Becker panniers/frames never flinched! I guess you get what you pay for! The locks could easily be 'sprung' ... not impressed

Rear hugger ... a bit of a fiddle to fit, but it certainly kept the rear suspension unit clean

Wilbers suspension ... supplied by Wilbers and a revelation. Bloody fantastic. The front springs and oil, and rear unit, made soooo much difference

Pivot Pegz ... great piece o' kit. They made standing on the pegs sure footed. Beautifully made they should be mounted on a wooden plinth and displayed in your dining room

Tank Bag ... the Wunderlich tank bag is the tops. No reservations 10 out of 10. Does what it says on the tin

Peli camera case ... fitted as a 'top box' was the tops too. No dust, grime or grit got in there. Wired with a 12v car cig lighter outlet I was able to charge the mobile phones, iPods and Samsung NC10 lap top while in there

The DID chains fitted to both bikes never even needed adjusting

Samsung NC10 laptop ... top piece of equipment. WiFi in several hotels, able to download and re-size photographs, and compose updates even when camping, to send later

I must load it with more games than Mahjong for the next adventure

GPS - BMW Navigator III+ ... Maps of Europe down to street level, otherwise the track logs were downloaded on a regular basis for the website.

GPS - Garmin Quest ... Great piece o' kit, had the World map installed and otherwise used as a compass to the days end destination

Sue's TTR 250R

Larger 22L petrol tank

Home made pannier frames to keep the Australian 'AndyStrapz' throwover panniers in place. Worked a treat, were more waterproof, sandproof and crashproof than the Trax panniers I totally agree here with Timolgra that maybe soft throwover panniers are much better for the real rufty tufty overlanding adventurer than hard cases could ever be

GPS - Garmin Zumo 550 with maps of Europe installed and the World Map on an SD card

Two bits of equipment neither of us would do without?

1) a pair of Crox

2) an iPod

Maybe nothing to do with the engine protection plate, probably just a 'one off' but after many miles in roadworks a small stone had been thrown up in to the radiator fan housing. When later, riding in to Quetta, the fan was asked to come on, it couldn't, and the engine overheated and spewed boiling water all over the instruments and inside of the windscreen. It's a testement to the strength of the engine that no lasting damage was done, but for a moment is was touch and go

Riding together, a Yamaha TT250R and an F800GS we averaged the same mpg, about 80 ish. We were able to wave and smile to people, stop and talk. At greater speed we would have missed soooo much.

Couldn't miss the fecker that turned in to Sue's path though. Even Houdini couldn't have got out of that one

1) Pannier frames
    2) Twisted pannier frames
    3) Well they leaked before
    4) Hugger keeps the Wilbers clean for sure
    5) Pivot Pegz
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

More piccies...

1) The fan housing... a stone in here almost bust the engine
    2) Engine protection ... not! Twice as many mounting points, some small and fiddly, and doesn't protect as well as the BMW version with half the mounting points

The bike went down three times and the engine bars never touched down, so 'over the top' ?? Over to you....

3) Relocated front brake reservoir came to no harm after three falls and one submission
    4) Peli case 'top box' came out tops
    Adventure.GS

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Handguards by Wunderlich? They look to give better weather protection compared to the BM ones.

TTR250R

Sue's TT250R had home made pannier frames and throwover panniers by AndyStrapz, (Australia) and they faired much better than the Trax panniers on the 800. More crash resistant, more waterproof and more dust/sand proof

Adventure.GS

Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    Handguards by Wunderlich? They look to give better weather protection compared to the BM ones.

Shhhhhhhh they're from Touratech

Wunderlich never noticed, but just happens John that they do the job better

I wuzn't about to give them up

Adventure.GS

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Shhhhhhhh they're from Touratech

Wunderlich never noticed, but just happens John that they do the job better

I wuzn't about to give them up

Ok "Wunderlich" ones they are

Interesting seeing the mods and how the little bike seemed to do all that the 800 did

Nice one Micky, it's very useful to have a 'real life' report on how equipment fares rather than what amounts to no more than speculation
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    Interesting seeing the mods and how the little bike seemed to do all that the 800 did
    Let's change the perspective here for a mo ... the 800 did all that the TTR did also ...

But one thing is for sure John, you don't need a big bike... that's an ego thing methinks

Any bike will do... for sure any bike will do

For South America I'm seriously thinking about geting the '79 MZ Supa five out of the boxes and rebuilding

Adventure.GS

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just fitted a 1450 Pelicase as a top box on my new bike. What size was the Pelicase you put on the 800 Micky?
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Just fitted a 1450 Pelicase as a top box on my new bike. What size was the Pelicase you put on the 800 Micky?
    Can't remember the model designation, but it's not particularly big, as you can see from the photo's.

I wired a car cig lighter socket inside, wired through a Centech unit next to the battery, and can charge the mobile phones, the iPod and lap top while on the move. The Samsung NC10 is secured in to the top lid of the Peli case with velcro straps and foam, and to date hasn't come to any harm, even on some of the roughest terrain possible, and a collision with a car

Adventure.GS