33 bhp restriction certificate

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys,
Any ideas on this ? A relative has bought a 400 sports bike, it comes with a restrictor kit and certificate.
Is there any re-validation of the restrictor & certificate needed when the bike changes hands ?
Presumably the certificate shows the VIN & registration & date of fitting etc, anything else we should be looking for ?

Thanks
John

i fitted a restricted kit to my sons 650 dakar and there was no paperwork.

I contacted the insurance and they took our word that it had been fitted.

i did however take loads of pictures during the fitting of it, just in case i needed them.

i think most insurer's will 'take your word for it';)

33bhp

Doing the same thing for my lad's bike. He passed his bike test a month ago, and is 19. He bought a 610 Husky and we are getting it restricted by GH in Colchester - they put it on the Dyno and will give you a piece of paper saying job done with details of the bike's new power output. Not sure how much weight the bit of paper carries - after all you could derestrict the bike any time. But the insurance company were happy to give him cover and just took his word over the 'phone that the bike was restricted. I guess in the event of a disputed claim they would check the bhp and if it's over 33bhp then cover would be not be valid.

Tallthinhack :moped::tarka

yes. you need to bring the bike and the cert to a dealer who can fit the kits, he then checks the kit is fitted and issues a cert in your relatives name.
the cost can vary. our local man charges £25.

yes the insurance company will take your word for it, if there is a claim and its not done then ure screwed.

When a kit was fitted on my sons Bandit the garage had to send a copy of the paperwork off to DVLA so i guess the owner would have to be changed to keep the police computer up to date.:nenau

so i guess the owner would have to be changed to keep the police computer up to date

To be pedantic, police forces do not hold any vehicle details. It is the DVLA that hold the data. Police officers simply have access to the DVLA data.

I would also be careful about assuming it is OK as an insurer has accepted it. Insurers will generally accept everything you tell them, they will only check that what you have told them is correct if you make a claim - and they want to get out of it. Also note that making a false statement to gain motor vehicle insurance is a specific offence.

yes. you need to bring the bike and the cert to a dealer who can fit the kits, he then checks the kit is fitted and issues a cert in your relatives name.
the cost can vary. our local man charges £25.

You will usually get a certificate when the kit is fitted. However, there is NO legal requirement to even have a certificate and if you do have one it relates to the bike and there is NO need for it to be in the current owners name if the bike changes hands. Garages sometimes charge silly money for this certificate and claim that you MUST have one.

This is just a nice way for a garage to make some easy money. Some companies charge £50 and more for this 'certificate' that you dont need.

yes the insurance company will take your word for it, if there is a claim and its not done then ure screwed.

This is correct, you dont have to have a certificate for your insurance and the police wont ask you to produce such a certificate. You just have to have a bike that really is restricted. If its not then you are in trouble.

:thumb

As Rushy says. If your relative has a crash or gets caught doing a silly speed, his bike will be examined.

I have several bikes that I am thinking about restricting to 33 bhp for my other half when she does her A2 test later in the month.

There is no question of her even needed 33 bhp at the moment (she is knocking on a bit and I doubt if she would want to do more than 70mph)

I was thinking of simply reducing the amount she can open the throttle.

I assume I would just take it somewhere with a dyno and get it measured.

am mainly thinking of my 400 superdream or the GS550

any ideas ?

mmm
when i got my sv650 restricted i was told that a copy goes on the national database that the police can access. my insurance company at the time wanted a copy of the restriction certificate. the law is there for a reason. the folk aren't stupid. if u have a crash or there is suspicion that the bike is not restricted im sure the fuzz can take it for a spin and establish very quickly whether ot not the bike is restricted.

i had my sv dynoed for i had carb problems cause of the restrictors.......she was making a very feeble 25bhp:aidan

mind you 230miles to 16litres of fuel is sorely missed!

I have several bikes that I am thinking about restricting to 33 bhp for my other half when she does her A2 test later in the month.

There is no question of her even needed 33 bhp at the moment (she is knocking on a bit and I doubt if she would want to do more than 70mph)

I was thinking of simply reducing the amount she can open the throttle.

I assume I would just take it somewhere with a dyno and get it measured.

am mainly thinking of my 400 superdream or the GS550

any ideas ?

For absolute peace of mind, do it properly! (ie get it restricted). Its sods law that if you don't restrict it, and declare it, something will happen and you could end up in court. Of course if you do restrict it, nothing untoward will happen in the two year period and you'll wonder why you did. (its a bit like wearing waterproofs when it threatens rain .... :thumb)

There was an article fairley recently about this in one of the mags. I cannot remember which one but you not need to get certs re validated when you sell/buy a bike. I think it was in MCN and they chalenged one of the big names in restrictors on their advice to get them checked and they back tracked. F1 international was the company I think. JJH

I never had a certificate when I bought my 650 new. I enquired what proof was needed of the restriction when insuraning it and they said none. They insured it at the same price as an unrestricted 650 but it would invalidate it if I rode it derestricted due to not having the correct licence entitlement.

I have a plan.

I am going to tie a piece of string from G/F to plug lead.

if she falls off, she will pull plug lead off.

Then we will say it was always off, therefore, bike was less than 33bhp

:blast

You will usually get a certificate when the kit is fitted. However, there is NO legal requirement to even have a certificate and if you do have one it relates to the bike and there is NO need for it to be in the current owners name if the bike changes hands. Garages sometimes charge silly money for this certificate and claim that you MUST have one.

This is just a nice way for a garage to make some easy money. Some companies charge £50 and more for this 'certificate' that you dont need.

This is correct, you dont have to have a certificate for your insurance and the police wont ask you to produce such a certificate. You just have to have a bike that really is restricted. If its not then you are in trouble.

:thumb

+1 proof is on Police and they will dyno if they suspect the bike is over the restricted limit. Get a manufacturer kit and do it properly for peace of mind.

The only way the police would even know that a bike was restricted or not is if they checked the riders license and it was a restricted one.
Then if a road traffic infringement had occured ie riding with out the correct license your insurance would then be invalid.
The DVLA only hold the information of the original bhp of the bike correct on the V5 and manufaturers data.
The 650GS my wife bought was a non restricted and standard the correct 33bhp adapter kit was purchased from BMW and I fitted it took a photo and contacted Carol Nash.
All they were interested in was the fact that my wife was complying with the relevant law regarding a restricted license and did not want any paperwork to confirm the fitting of the kit.
This is no different to driving without an MOT if your involved in an accident the insurance company is with in its rights to decline cover.
As others have said the cert is con to get money from less informed new riders.

Both my sons moved straight from 50cc bikes to 33bhp restricted GPZ500s. Bike was restricted by dealer with all relevent paperwork. After 2 years, older son traded up to Fazer 600 with full power. That bike was subsequently passed on to younger son who had it restricted whilst I was away in January.

Younger son crashed Fazer 600 recently and police phoned me whilst I was in Casualty and queried why he was riding 600cc bike on restricted licence. I explained that bike was restricted to 33bhp and he was happy to take my word for it. I did tell him I had the paperwork at home if he wanted to see it. Luckily perhaps the first police on scene was a friend and simply told the main investigating officer that I knew about bikes and to accept my word.

Personally, I think the police would have to have reason to suspect that it was not restricted before they would make further enquiries as it is simply more work for them. They accepted that my son crashed at about 40 mph in a 60 mph zone so no reason to create extra work. One of his friends has an unrestricted bike that alledgedly does "120mph" so he would have a lot more trouble if stopped at those speeds.

Definitely no need to have new cert for new rider.

The bottom line is that if the bike is not properly restricted and to find that out they will test it, so the paperwork is irrelevant here. If its not correct then your insurance will be invalid and you will
- driving without insurance
- driving not in accordance with a license

which means 6 points and a hefty fine and if you are a new rider then 6 points means that you lose your license. BTW that only applies for your first license, so if you took your driving test 20 years ago and took your bike test 2 months ago they deem you as a 20yr motorist so the new driver rule does not apply.

In my area the Police recently starting seizing the de-restricted mopeds:clap

Back
Top Bottom