100% waterproof one piece?

My 'Stich did leak at first but has been dry since I got busy with the tent seam sealer...

So far........

I still carry an HG 2 piece waterproof suit on long trips just in case....

YES Alpinestars El Nino (see Ride report)

100% waterproof in some of the worse conditions ever including a Tropical Cyclone when I was down under.

Expensive but always kept me dry

I need to correct a previous post, the Vanucci one piece does not come with a thermal liner, I was getting two suits mixed up.

So, anyway, I ordered the Vanucci suit on 09/03/10 @ 17:17hrs. Delivery quoted as 2-3 weeks as they were out of stock. Early afternoon on the 17/03 this appears

4445290676_c388784fa1.jpg

Inside

4445290886_3ec26dc131.jpg

Ohh, reading materials as well. Shame I don't speak or read German:blast

4445291326_6360e3703f.jpg

I had the BMW suit in a large but was restricted to only one or two thin layers underneath it so moved up a size which turns out to be probably nearer half a size and the right decision. I am 1.78m (5' 10") tall and weigh 92Kgs (202lbs or 14st 6lbs).

4445291604_91031518ca.jpg

Very similar in overall appearance to the BMW suit

4445290356_97c02235fc.jpg

A stretch panel at the lower back for flexibility when seated which is difficult for a photographic numpty to get a good image of. The hi-viz means you can't use flash and I don't have steady arms or a tripod for a slow flash free exposure.

4444623451_ff77144d3d.jpg

and two sets of velcro for adjusting the arms

4444520603_a6a7e568c2.jpg

The sleeves have a zip and velcro tab. The zip is probably not necessary and if I wear my gloves over the sleeves I won't use it and will close the cuff tighter with the velcro. If I have my gloves inside the cuff the zip will just close. (I wear summer perforated gloves with a long cuff all year prefering muffs and heated grips to thicker gloves)

4445291228_0672446d64.jpg

This flap covers a what is hopefully a proper waterproof pocket

4445291114_f30fa5db7e.jpg

with the zip on the underside of the flap

4444519965_ede47a370f.jpg

There are three other outside pockets which aren't claimed to be waterproof and one internal pocket which is unfortunately quite small, about 13cm x 17cm

It also has stud and velcroe closed gaiters in the legs

4444519735_568307f8aa.jpg

My first thought was that the legs are too bulky, as in too much material but I guess they would still close over motocross boots if you opted for those.

A bit of hi-viz material on the front

4444519629_37aa5318e1.jpg

and behind

4444520147_9ac332217d.jpg

The main zipper has an inner flap with a return. At the bottom of the zip there is an additional web of material to form a pocket. It has a little drain hole which you can just see at the end of the zipper tab.

4445427880_7f41d3b94d.jpg

So to summarise about £50.00 cheaper than the BMW equivalent, including delivery from Germany, of which I had three in 6 months all of which leaked and the last one suffered from catastrophic (exagerate? me? noooo) failure of a leg zip.

The legs on the Vanucci suit zip up the inside and have velcro flaps to close over as well as flaps with a return on the inside to hopefully channel any water that does get in down and out at the ankle. This is instead of the BMW system waterproof zips on the outside with no external flaps. So that makes the Vanucci a bit more fiddly to get into. Masses of adjustment with the velcro straps at the waist. The neck is quite large. I wear shirts with a 16½" or 17" collar and can still easily close the neck over a high necked fleece. It may prove too large for staying dry in the summer without an additional waterproof kneck cover of some kind.

Armour at the shoulders, elbows and knee with a foam back pad supplied which I will upgrade. It also has pockets to take hip pads which are not supplied.

I haven't been out in the rain enough to discover how good it is but water from a hose just runs off as you'd expect from a laminated material treated with Scotchguard.

First decent rain ride

in the new suit. 32 miles with about half of that in steady heavy rain and I emerged from the suit comlpetely dry.

The 3 outside pockets that are marked "not waterproof" and described on the Louis site as "partially waterproof" stayed drier than the "waterproof" pockets on the BMW Coverall. In fact all the pockets remained completely dry.

So far I'd recommend this suit.

Anyone tried the new Spada one piece suit? About £150 - or is it too cheap :)

I've just caught up with this thread and so a bit late but good luck with your new suit. I have a one piece Olympia Phantom suit which I think is exceptional value for money. I've been in torrential rain and its proven to be 100% so far. I've never had to use the thermal liner as I always have a full set of clothes on underneath and that is sufficient. Great value too. I have the more subdued Grey suit not the Canary Yellow one although to be honest I do like that and its a be seen be safe kind of yellow too:augie

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/phantom.htm

AndyT:cool:

I've just caught up with this thread and so a bit late but good luck with your new suit. I have a one piece Olympia Phantom suit which I think is exceptional value for money. I've been in torrential rain and its proven to be 100% so far. I've never had to use the thermal liner as I always have a full set of clothes on underneath and that is sufficient. Great value too. I have the more subdued Gret suit not the Canary Yellow one although to be honest I do like that and its a be seen be safe kind of yellow too:augie

i like that too :thumb

Hein Gericke one piece black suit oversuit cost £23 about 10yrs ago. Never let a drop in on Scotland trips and IOM which are generally a very good test!! Rode for hours in it and no leaks.

I have been using an Alpinstars 'El Nino' one piece waterproof for a couple of years. So far no leaks and I have been out in some pretty awful weather. IMHO very good value for money(less than £100). When not in use it has its own pouch so that it can be carried/worn like a bumbag.(also doubles up as a pillow when camping).

Steve

Used this as well, damp crotch after a while in really heavy rain.

I've a big BIKE test of about 10 suits. PM me your email for a copy. I'm using it to replace the one I've got which leaked pretty much straight away.

I've a big BIKE test of about 10 suits. PM me your email for a copy. I'm using it to replace the one I've got which leaked pretty much straight away.

Why not just send him the clothing advertisers' name with the biggest advert in the magazine ? I bet that's the one that wins......:blast

in the new suit. 32 miles with about half of that in steady heavy rain and I emerged from the suit comlpetely dry.

The 3 outside pockets that are marked "not waterproof" and described on the Louis site as "partially waterproof" stayed drier than the "waterproof" pockets on the BMW Coverall. In fact all the pockets remained completely dry.

So far I'd recommend this suit.

Cheers for an excellent, detailed write up on the suit, Packer...I'd gone through the same options that have been discussed here & was about to go try on a BMW Coverall, despite the crap BMW labelling down the front, when I came across & was impressed by your write up on the Vanussi.

I ummed & ah'd about ordering one from getgeared.com in case it didn't fit, but took the plunge when I saw they do freepost returns for unused items...anyway I'm glad I did. This is an excellent bit of kit which feels very substantial and well made - I feel safe in it. The hard armour all fits well, both on & off the bike. I bought XL, and at 5' 10", 100 kilo's and a little on the chunky side round the middle, it fits perfectly.

Not tried it in the wet yet but goes on quickly & easily over my work shirt & pants, which is exactly what I bought it for - so I'm happy I went for this one. Cheers again.

Why not just send him the clothing advertisers' name with the biggest advert in the magazine ? I bet that's the one that wins......:blast

Ok well the two they found best value were the BLH Light @ £26 and the Held Monson at £57.

Only 4 of the 15 suits tested were waterproof when pressure washed. Just shows how much shite there is for bikers. :rob

I've just caught up with this thread and so a bit late but good luck with your new suit. I have a one piece Olympia Phantom suit which I think is exceptional value for money. I've been in torrential rain and its proven to be 100% so far. I've never had to use the thermal liner as I always have a full set of clothes on underneath and that is sufficient. Great value too. I have the more subdued Grey suit not the Canary Yellow one although to be honest I do like that and its a be seen be safe kind of yellow too:augie

i like that too :thumb

i liked it so much i bought one from Revzilla in the states. - about $500 door to door

Delivered in 6 days

perfect fit - 2XL

its the dogs bollox

heres a pic of me in it :augie

2010_phantom01.jpg

Has anyone tried the Admiral suit from Spidi, £599.99 as advertised in the Grand Prix Legends catalogue ?
Looks good ,write up good but would like to know if it works eh !!

www,grandprixlegends.com

Theres got to be a good un amongst the options on here so far ! :D

Back
Top Bottom