Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do's and don'ts of Salisbury Plain

DONT BOTHER WITH THE PLAIN!

Just paid my £250 Christmas party gift to Salisbury Magistrates for being 10 feet off the highway at Christmas even though the MOD police didnt know where we were on the OS!, open day means just tarmac ..... really just forget it.
    I will use paid club meets in the future and non UK.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by DollyRocket View Post
    I, along with a number of others from this parish often go and have a day on the plain, normally at weekends and always when there are no flags / beacons flying. There are a number of legal byways that crisscross the plain which you can occasionally miss and inadvertantly travel down trails that appear identical but not actually legal byways. Does anyone know what the range wardens will let you do and what they wont?

LOL that last time I was stopped on Salisbury Plain on my err I mean your 525 Mike was by a Land Ranger and what a splendid chap he was too

As has already been said it's best to be polite and carry a map and if confronted remove your helmet and engage them in civil conversation. Ask advice and act dumb and remember no one likes a smart arse

Land Rangers are there to stop you getting blown up

Land Wardens are there to stop you having fun

The Land Ranger that stopped me said that he was happy for bikes to ride all the tracks as long as you stayed on the tracks and didn't stray. He said that but the next Land Ranger may not agree so it really is rider beware
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

Is there a dead simple numpty route that any idiot (thinking myself) could follow, also dead easy for a first off-road foray.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Is there a dead simple numpty route that any idiot (thinking myself) could follow, also dead easy for a first off-road foray.
    Or me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Try Bakermans Ride out.....you will enjoy

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245582

Salisbury Plain

Hi

I would like to go for my first outing to Salisbury Plain.

We will be travelling up from the Southampton area by van.

Please could somebody advise a suitable place where we can park up, unload the bikes, and then access the Plain.

Even better, does someone have a planned route for a reasonable days riding, that I may pilfer

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dazlove

I will probably aim to get out there in the next few days if I can. (took the time off work so it should be relatively quiet).

I normally park at Larkhill Church car park or the Solstice Services (tell them inside that you want to leave your trailer/van there and they are normally happy and have kept an eye in the past for me - helps if you also buy your lunch from there too

There are a couple of parking spots up from a byway from Netheravon. If you have a trailer - make sure you padlock it on to something unboltable on the car.

Loddon Vale TRF
    http://www.lvtrf.co.uk

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Will have a look at the maps to plan a route from there.

Just managed to get the first 3 hrs on my new 530 EXC, so just serviced it.

Just itchin' to get out now!

Regards

Dazlove

undead Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    dont get caught

always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by STUBBS View Post
    dont get caught
    I have been toodling around the plains since 1977 and have never been fined. I've had my wrist slapped a couple of times
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

A good day out

Just to say.....

Finally got to take the 530 out onto Salisbury Plain on Friday.

Parked up on the BOAT adjacent to Stonehenge Car Park, and off we went on a pre-programmed (Memory-Map Adventurer 3500) loop which we managed twice.

Had an absolute blast with all types of terrain. The ruts on some of the runs took a bit of getting used to!

We even laughed when I christened the new bike......that puddle can't be that deep....oh bugger I can't see the front wheel...took two of us half an hour to extract her, but she fired up OK after.

Only saw 3 other bikes all day.

Will certainly be planning another day out and will upload the route for others wanting to take the plunge.

Best regards

Dazlove

Isn't that BOAT TRO'd at the moment?

Glad you enjoyed it... Give me a PM next time, I may tag along..

Loddon Vale TRF
    http://www.lvtrf.co.uk

I am surprised that you found any water at all, it was like the Atacama desert when I was last out on the plain and I cant remember any rain since last year
    Too shiny and clean to use it properly.

TRO

Quote Originally Posted by DollyRocket View Post
    Isn't that BOAT TRO'd at the moment?

Glad you enjoyed it... Give me a PM next time, I may tag along..
    I think pretty much all of the BOATs in the area are under threat with a TRO looming in the near future. I think the objections need to be in by either the end of May or End of June, just what I had heard. Probably worth dropping a line to the local TRF, who should have the details to hand.

Just to say, that we should all get involved to stop this sort of thing happening. A recent case in Surrey, meant two lanes being closed, but do to a massive amount of objections, the proposed TRO's were quashed. I have no doubt this was assisted by the TRF calling in all members to help.

Back to your question, there weren't any signs up, and we were directed there by the Stonehenge parking assistant, and the lane had alot of cars all parked along it.........Sods Law, though, they would target the solitary bike!

Will keep an eye out on the TRF site, but certainly look forward to many other trips on the Plain..........just off now to fit some 17"s to get some road work in

Best regards

Dazlove

Just Checked

FYI

Just had a look on both the Wilts Definitive Map and Trailwise and the track (AMES12) is still a legal BOAT.......for now!

Regards

Dazlove

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazlove View Post
    Just to say.....

Finally got to take the 530 out onto Salisbury Plain on Friday.

Parked up on the BOAT adjacent to Stonehenge Car Park, and off we went on a pre-programmed (Memory-Map Adventurer 3500) loop which we managed twice.

Had an absolute blast with all types of terrain. The ruts on some of the runs took a bit of getting used to!

We even laughed when I christened the new bike......that puddle can't be that deep....oh bugger I can't see the front wheel...took two of us half an hour to extract her, but she fired up OK after.

Only saw 3 other bikes all day.

Will certainly be planning another day out and will upload the route for others wanting to take the plunge.

Best regards

Dazlove
    Hey Dazlove
    I'm hoping to go to the plains fairly soon for the first time. Do you still have any of the tracks available?

Do you think a 990adv will be able to handle the route you took?
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast