GPS for Car and Bike

suipedali

I want to buy a unit for both car and bike. Anybody want to share their experiences?

Gary

I have a GPS V which I do use in both but as I bought it primarily for the bike I didn't want anything too big.

If I was planning on budgeting for both I would have gone for the Streetpilot III deluxe. It comes with brackets for the car, you just need one for the bike from Touratech.

Why the Deluxe?

128MB Data cartridge wil mean less downloading of detailed maps and it comes with all of western Europe Unlocked.

On the SPIII a nice lady talks trhough each turn, on the V its an audible bleep.

Only the GPSV and SPIII offer true turn-by-turn navigation, you'll probably come across the 176 in your research, looks and smells like a SPIII but falls short on the navigation side. Also the BMW navigator - a re-badged SPIII with BMW dealers pre-loaded FWiW.

One last word of warning, some places will offer you cheaper SPIII's from the States - WALK AWAY FROM THEM the reasons why can be found in the GPS section of this board.

Yes, I'd agree with what Jud9e says.

With the SPIII Deluxe, you get a beanbag mount (which works surprisingly well), a stick-on dashboard mount which comes with 'removable' or 'permanent' sticky things (I've used the removable item in my car, and the whole thing is rock solid!) and a fag-ash lighter power lead-cum-loudspeaker for the lady's dulcet tones (in English or Italian out of the box, with French and German available on enclosed CD to load in).

The Mapsource CDs come with unlock codes for all of Europe and, as I discovered this week, the Atlantic basemap (less detailed than Mapsource) covers not only Europe but all of Africa too.

The 128MB chip is big enough that on my forthcoming run to the Sahara, I can have turn by turn routing from my front door to Gibraltar and then use the basemap for Morocco.

For my bike, I got GPS Warehouse to throw in an extra powerlead (without speaker) so I could hardwire it and a carry case. A Touratech mount is expensive, but real quality kit.

City Slicker has added to his SPIII a small speaker (a la car telephone) which he has mounted under the rev counter. You could use an ear-piece or, no doubt, wire it into an Autocom.

GFI

Greg

ditto all the above - I've also wired the StreetPilot lll into my Autocom (used Autocom's lead which incorporates a suppression circuit allowing you to power the Autocom & the Garmin from the bike without cross-interference). 'Bitching Betty' successfully navigated me around Germany for 10 days - outstanding (if bloody expensive!).

MikeO:)

Back
Top Bottom