Planning to ride the Isle of Man July, 2010

chiefrider

Reaction score
Greetings from the Pacific North West (Pacific North Wet), USofA!

My wife and I hope to travel to the Isle of Man late July next summer. I hope we can borrow or hire a motorcycle to ride (not race!) two-up the TTcourse. I've never visited the IoM before.

I am an experienced motorcycle rider, riding since 1967.

My father's mother's father was from the Isle of Man.

Can anybody help me out here? I can offer a host tales of Airhead Adventuring in Northern Canada and Hand-shift Motorcycling Hi-jinks!:beerjug:

Tom in Salem, Oregon

1947 Indian Chief
1953 Indian Roadmaster 80
1967 Honda CL90
1993 BMW R100GSPD

American Motorcyclist Association
Antique Motorcycle Club of America
Oregon Trail Chapter of the AMCA
Oregon Vintage Motorcyclists
BMW Motorcycle Owners Association
Airheads Beemer Club
Iron Butt Association
Ugly Mugs Motorcycle Gang

For bike hire try here...not a huge choice on the Island...you would need to book it in advance ;)

http://www.jasongriffiths.im/motorcycle_hire.html

I would be glad to help as a guide and show you some good single track roads/views...you would also be welcome on one of the local IAM group rideouts. Please feel free to get in touch closer to your visit :thumb2

Hi

I have a number of contacts but you need to subscribe to avail of them

:nenau

There's a few of us tossers on the IOM Tom and as Wideload said, there's plenty of scope for a meet up or a tour (although I'll leave the off road stuff to him). I'm houseless at the moment but if that changes I'll be happy to offer you some hospitality.

Just out of interest, why? :nenau

Access to PM's ??

chiefrider,just a thought, the Southern 100 Club are holding a Race Meeting on the Billown Circuit on the 12th/13th/14th/and 15th July 2010. It may not be the TT,but it might give you a flavour of Road Racing on the Isle of Man.

http://www.southern100.com/home.htm

I'll be on the Island for this week,so if you are around,maybe we can organise a meet ?

Hi Tom ,

For a bike you could try asking Manchester's BMW dealer if they would rent you one.

http://www.williamsbikes.co.uk/

They are about 15mins from the airport. If you do fly into Manchester I'd be happy to pick you up and get you to a hotel and then take you to Williams'.

You could also try Southport Superbikes. They have BMW and also other franchises so you might be able to get something other than a BMW.

http://www.southportsuperbikes.co.uk/

Depending on how long you stay then I'd be happy to show you some of the beautiful scenery in the Peak District National Park an hour South East of Manchester or North Wales 1.5 hrs to the South West.

I've done some biking in Northern Oregon plus down the full length of the coast from Astoria and you are damn lucky to have some great scenery not to mention having MT, WA and CA on your doorstep.......
:drool

Ian

Hi

I have a number of contacts but you need to subscribe to avail of them

:nenau

Just out of interest, why? :nenau

Thats what I was thinking .....

Access to PM's ??

The guy's email address is in the post above :nenau

Thanks!

Keep the ideas coming.

I teach, therefore I get summers off (I'm a lucky bastard, but someone's gotta be). My wife is not, but she was able to secure July 23-Aug 22 off.

We plan to do most of our riding the first week or so, and much of it, hopefully, in the Alps. I'm looking into motorcycle rentals there (Knopf in Germany?), as well.

This will be our 25th Anniversary. Can't be all about the riding (she tolerates my madness, but doesn't share it). And my preference about the IoM would be to ride the circuit when the racing isn't happening.

I do want to return, someday, to take in the racing. For some reason, though, my beloved wouldn't find watching the races very fun.:nenau Therefore, attending the races would be pretty much have to be a guy thing.

For what I want to do, I actually would enjoy a smaller bike (250-400cc) without gear, staying on the Island a couple nights and stowing the luggage where we're staying. The bike would have to be two-up capable.

Tom in Salem

chiefrider1953@hotmail.com

Keep the ideas coming.

I teach, therefore I get summers off (I'm a lucky bastard, but someone's gotta be). My wife is not, but she was able to secure July 23-Aug 22 off.

We plan to do most of our riding the first week or so, and much of it, hopefully, in the Alps. I'm looking into motorcycle rentals there (Knopf in Germany?), as well.

This will be our 25th Anniversary. Can't be all about the riding (she tolerates my madness, but doesn't share it). And my preference about the IoM would be to ride the circuit when the racing isn't happening.

I do want to return, someday, to take in the racing. For some reason, though, my beloved wouldn't find watching the races very fun.:nenau Therefore, attending the races would be pretty much have to be a guy thing.

For what I want to do, I actually would enjoy a smaller bike (250-400cc) without gear, staying on the Island a couple nights and stowing the luggage where we're staying. The bike would have to be two-up capable.

Tom in Salem

chiefrider1953@hotmail.com

Hey Tom,
there is SO much to do here - with or without bikes; with and without racing ... I know you will have a good time. There is an American/Manx association - big time here too - so you could look into that via the internet and perhaps get help there with looking up where your ancestors on your dad's side came from. Put in his last name and no doubt you will get a fair amount of history.

When you get in - go to the Welcome Centre at the sea terminal and there is a wealth of info there - non bike and bike related for both your tastes.

As Chris and Dave and Dave say (Wideload, Piebaps and Dee Tee) - we would all be happy to help so just give us a shout when you are sorting things and we can see what we can do.

Dave? homeless??? whats going on hon? Gosh guys ..its been ages since we all met. Fancy a pint at the Mitre soon? Shim and we meet there a fair bit ... and we can drag along a few other folk ...Brian where are ya?

anyway - I digress. Have fun planning your trip and if you need anything - just shout. Moo@manx.net.

kindest :)

Not homeless as such, just "between houses".

I sold my cottage to my Dad and moved into Grainne's. I will buy somewhere else as soon as I find a suitable pad.

When are you next at the Mitre?

hi guys!

Moo im still here, just busy with work n stuff. as for a loan bike for the man, if i've still got it, my little ttr 250 is sat in the garage and off roadable (has pillion pegs too:)
yeah a meet up at the mitre would be cool just say when :D
red stan is without a bike at the mo, haha the old duffer dropped it and broke his collar bone:blast and he tells me to take care!! as an instuctor i bet he did it in a professional manner!:augie

This idea is heating up......

Thanks, Moo & everyone!

I might have to spend more than a couple days on the Isle--or endeavor to make timely returns.

Tom in Salem

Manxpanzer & his TTR250

.... as for a loan bike for the man, if i've still got it, my little ttr 250 is sat in the garage and off roadable (has pillion pegs too:)
yeah a meet up at the mitre would be cool just say when

That Yamaha just might be the ticket, if it's available! :thumb2

I mostly want to ride the TT course. I figure, with stops, I could make a day of it, with the wife most likely wanting to get off the bike and having a look around here and there.

I would expect to arrive at the Isle July 25, give or take a day or two. We'd like to fly into a major airport, then use public transportation to the IoM, having (hopefully) already securing lodging for two nights.

On that day we'd have a grand and glorious time pottering around the 37.7 mile course, not counting sidetrips.

Let's keep in touch. :beerjug:

Tom in Salem chiefrider1953@hotmail.com

:moped::bounce1aye the ttr will/should still be in the garage waiting. bit weedy 2up but it does the job. just give us a shout when your over, (do you want road or off road tyres on it?)
and just make sure you got insurance, not too bothered if the bike gets broke ( been trying that myself) just for you and the missus to ride it?

manxpanzer@msn.com:augie

Moo im still here, just busy with work n stuff. as for a loan bike for the man, if i've still got it, my little ttr 250 is sat in the garage and off roadable (has pillion pegs too:)
yeah a meet up at the mitre would be cool just say when :D
red stan is without a bike at the mo, haha the old duffer dropped it and broke his collar bone:blast and he tells me to take care!! as an instuctor i bet he did it in a professional manner!:augie

heya Bri - yes I heard from yer dad about his tumble. Sounds bloody sore :( Not on here too often anymore so sorry for lateness in reply... plus having major problems with me bloody shoulder which is causing nerve pain in my hand. Did it on the 3rd November ..... still not right. Orthopedic surgeon referral (may be July apparently - before I am seen); on a teaching course this year ... across in Birmingham .... will be fun if I can't write. Typing is bloody painful .... moan moan moan ..... one day I won't be in pain :tearsLots of drugs .....

Right side again (was with the hip too); trapped nerve, neck issues ... :(:(:(

I'll stop moaning now ... and make a suggestion for Mitre night .... how about a week on Friday? I'll natter to Jay and see if that suits him too (he's not on here much either) and then see if you lot can make it? Dave? Chris? does that suit you?

The Mitre
7.30pm
Friday 15th Jan.

If you can come ...great ... if not... never mind we will see you another time.
Speak soon
Moo x