Top box/Panniers combination question.

Steve B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having read much about top boxes and panniers I need some comments on what the best combinations are.
It's my intention to travel across Canada for a year and I'm pondering how much volume of space I need, including a tank bag. I'm wanting a top box for now to carry bits and pieces for everyday use (a TB being more secure than a tank bag).
I've pondered at Verns panniers as they are 3mm thick aluminium (I think) and my other alternative (TT Zega) are only 1.5. But the big issue is whether a large (52 litre) top box can be used with big ali pans (i.e. lifting the pan lids whilst top box being left in place). I've also seen the TT Zega TB turn side ways but this obviously loses the option of carrying a pillion and removing the grab rail.
I also noticed 'Mike O' doesn't have a TB on his.Am I being too greedy wanting lots of space?

What do you use (or suggest?)

Cheers for all the info I know is out there.

Steve B

:thumb

I've got the Al Jesse Odyssy panniers and a Givi E52 top box, and have no problems opening the panniers with the top box in place (although the righthand lid does just touch the bottom of the topbox as it opens).

I also have an older squarer GIVI box, the panniers do not open with that in place.

The GIVI fitting rack does require the removal of the grab rail however.

I also have a baglux Omega tank bag, and I would NOT recommend this particular bag. It is two big, sits too far back, and sets off the horn when on left lock.

I have a set of Aerostich Tank Panniers, and I think these are fantastic. Unfortunately they are very expensive in terms of pounds per litre.

MMM

It was my intention to come again.This time I might have the new light kit fitted too. Might also indulge in the cheesy pomme frites.
Can't remember what the date for the next one is though.......?

Looking forward to it.

Steve B

Verns panniers

I have Verns panniers , but no top box , suggest you get a Touratech Rack extender , and go for a waterproof bag (name escapes me) on the back , that will give you flexibity!

Aerostitch do some great "pony expess" type saddle bags that straddle the tank , and you could also add a tank bag , but this would be over egging it a bit !!;)

I think the bag Podger is talking about is the Ortlieb.

Touratech sell it but it's cheaper from http://www.traveldri-plus.co.uk/

I originally had the same space greed you have and bought the Zega Special set (to maximise space but minimise sticking out) and bought the huge Zega TB

This actually *won't mount* let alone open with the side panniers in place. You could devise spacers, extenders etc to raise the TB but I figured the higher up it goes the worse it gets.

I ended up sticking to the standard Zega TB and have some Ortliebs to lash tents and other odds and ends on.

I don't do tankbags and have never really felt the need for more space than I've got.

The Zegas also are large flat surfaces for the cross-winds to catch and this is another reason not to get the monster TB from Touratech - your bike would become the biggest, heaviest box kite in the world :D

Ortliebs come in light weight (which I use as liners for the luggage. I know the Zegas are already waterproof but you still have to carry stuff to an from the tent/hotel in the rain!) and the heavier weight which will stand tents and heavier/pointier things better.

I think the guy from Travel Dri Plus will be at the BMF in Peterborough so you might get show prices. That's assuming you're coming :roll

Hope that helps

panniers

I've just ordered a set of Jesse panniers which at 2mm are the same thickness as Verns I think but with the benefit that they are removable. I was after something strong and spacious and they were hardly any more expensive than the Touratech Sondersystem because of the $ exchange rate.

I'll probably go for a removable plastic Givi (or something) on the back.

Colin.

the same thickness as Verns I think but with the benefit that they are removable.

I had the same issue with Verns panniers (I already have the Touratech system) but having seen Andy Leet's, there is only 1 more nut to undo than on the Touratechs. The onlt difference being that you need a spanner with Verns, but you could always change the dome nuts for a hand wheel type fixing from Axminster tools...:beerjug:

I've just ordered a set of Jesse panniers which at 2mm are the same thickness as Verns I think but with the benefit that they are removable.

I had the same issue with Verns panniers

Is it that Verns panniers can't be taken off that easily? I note Mike O always has his attached.
I don't mind carrying the panniers in an out of motels, camp sites etc (easier to move as a job lot than carry loads of individual items) which is why I'd like as much space to carry stuff for a years trip (tank bag included) It's just having the choice.
Thanks for all the input.......so far. I'll also be picking brains at the Chew Magna meet.

Steve

Steve B said:
Is it that Verns panniers can't be taken off that easily? I note Mike O always has his attached.
I don't mind carrying the panniers in an out of motels, camp sites etc (easier to move as a job lot than carry loads of individual items) which is why I'd like as much space to carry stuff for a years trip (tank bag included) It's just having the choice.
Thanks for all the input.......so far. I'll also be picking brains at the Chew Magna meet.

Steve

Vern's can be removed relatively easily - you need to use tools, though, unlike Jesses. The problem is that Verns let in water from every hole. In order to have any semblance of waterproofing with them, you need to use loads of mastic sealer. If you continually want to remove and replace the panners, you're going to have to re-mastic them, or put up with water ingress. By contrast, I never had a leak develop in either my Zega (TT) bags or the Jesses.

I leave my Verns on all the time - I'm gradually (after 18k miles and 3 months) getting to make them waterproof - they caught me out the other day by letting water in through the rear catch plate - so that'll have to come off for sealing soon...

Be wary of exhaust gases as well - the pipe (whether original or after market) on your bike may point outwards sufficiently to endanger the content of your left pannier (the angle the pipe is at seems to vary from bike to bike, due to variations in manufacturing tolerance). Some people have had problems with system bags with heat damage - I had big problems with Verns (though none of this kind with Jesses or Zega/TT). I did manage to melt a left indicator with my Jesses - solved by repositioning the indicator.
I believe Vern has developed an exhaust gas deflector to counter the heat problem (I had an exhaust dealer weld an extension pipe onto the end of my standard can - Zega/TT 'Special Set' bags come with a bolt on pipe extension) - I am unaware of any move by Vern to improve the waterproofing...

Mike:)

Mike,

Sounds like you need positive air pressure piped into the panniers to stop the water ingress -- set up a little air pump and tubing to run with the ignition on - could be an aquarium pump or small tyre-inflator pump ?

just a wacky idea

Phil

motomartin said:
Mike,

Sounds like you need positive air pressure piped into the panniers to stop the water ingress -- set up a little air pump and tubing to run with the ignition on - could be an aquarium pump or small tyre-inflator pump ?

just a wacky idea

Phil

:yelrotflm

What if it went wrong, though :eek

Attachments

• condom-being-inflated-over-mans-head-anon.jpg
    condom-being-inflated-over-mans-head-anon.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 333
Panniers to me = metal boxes to take your kit round the world & keep it safe & dry

No rocket science, no hi-tec needed - just waterproof boxes...

Mike:(

Sounds Like you miss those Jesses you sold me MikeO ??

I have the Jesse bags with the Pizza box top box. Ideal for stuff you want easy access to. Big enough for a lap top should you want to lug one around. I was thinking of adding a rack to it for strapping more stuff should I need extra carrying capacity.

Because of the good exchange rates, getting the Jesse bags through KiwiBob in Germany is a good deal at the moment. No worries about the dreaded import duty and vat either!

Attachments

• gs adventure.jpg
    gs adventure.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 138
Sounds Like you miss those Jesses you sold me MikeO ??

Sounds like he can't make his mind up which ones to have.:D

So Mike, give us a summary of each pannier system so I can decide which ones to buy.

Steve B

Back
Top Bottom