Got a Husqvarna 250. What now?

NorthernBoy

Reaction score
Sorry, no pictures yet (I pick it up this week), but I've just been bought a lovely 10 month old TE250 for my birthday by the wife, and am just waiting for the road loom and lights to be fitted so that I can ride it home.

I was torn between getting the 250 and the 450, but thought that on the dirt I'd actually be better off with the smaller bike for now. I'll be riding it to and from the track on the road, for which I know that the 450 would have been better, but this one won out because it was newish, close, and from a dealer, with a proper warranty, and, at £3,300, I think that I've got a decent bargain.

So, the question is, are there any modifications that "everybody" does on these? I've already read something about the ECU strangling the bike on the standard settings, and how I should be disconnecting the lambda sensor to get the full beans, but is this right?

Next, do people go for slime in the tyres (or even those bizarre tnnis-ball type things), are there any airbox mods that need ot be done, and so on?

I won't be using it to compete, so am unrestricted by any race regs, and just want to be sure that I'm getting the most from my new bike.

As a potential next step, I heard that the 250 is just a sleeved down 450. If that's the case, will a new barrel and piston get me the 450, or is it a whole world of effort if I end up going that way?

First thing you should do is ride the thing. Don't fanny about changing it until you know what to change! Position of controls is about all you need to do.
Some people swear by slime in the tyres, "tennis balls" are as expensive as mousses, but no one I know likes them. Mousses are expensive and work. Up to you.
Enjoy!
Mark

Forget about 'mods' for now, concentrate on you and your riding gear. This has to be right, if your not fit, your in for a shock. And if you get cold, mistakes develop and turn in to accidents.

Why so eager about the 450....... you don't know if you can ride the 250 yet.

I've said it thousands of times before, so one more won't hurt...... if your wondering where to ride it, the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) is the best way to get yourself on the legal trails.

Oh, I have a couple of 'do nots':-
Do not leave this bike unattended outside the confines of your house/garage unless it is locked in a vehicle.
Do not ride it around or near any chav/scrote pits.
Do not let visual contact be made by people passing your house, put the bike out of sight on return home everytime.

Hopefully the tips above will mean you can keep the bike with out feeding into the pool of stolen pogos and making the scrote's life easy.

If, at some time, you would like a visit to North Wales, you a very welcome on one of the trail rides that I lead. I can cater for newbies upwards, so a ride can be concocted to suit.......

Timpo.

Why so eager about the 450....... you don't know if you can ride the 250 yet.

I crossed the Sahara on a 450, and loved its ability on the faster sections of piste, but was also happy with it in the more technical areas. I also did Baja a few years back on an older 250, and did miss the extra kick sometimes, especially at altitude. This 250, being a much more modern bike, with fuel injection, is hopefully strong enough in the engine department, but I'm curious as to what need to be done to give it the extra horses that a prolonged blast across a valley-floor piste needs.

I'm not sure what you mean by not knowing if I can ride the 250. Why would I not be able to? I coped just fine with bikes from a DT200WR to a CR500, and plenty inbetween. They are all rideable, it's just that some are better for different things.

If, at some time, you would like a visit to North Wales, you a very welcome on one of the trail rides that I lead. I can cater for newbies upwards, so a ride can be concocted to suit.......

Thanks, I may well take you up on that, although it'd be after winter ends, me being something of a nancy nowadays when it comes to mixing dirt and cold in large quantities.

Oh, I have a couple of 'do nots':-
Do not leave this bike unattended outside the confines of your house/garage unless it is locked in a vehicle.
Do not ride it around or near any chav/scrote pits.
Do not let visual contact be made by people passing your house, put the bike out of sight on return home everytime.

Yep, thanks. It will be in a secure garage with 24 hour security in Canary Wharf, which is hopefully enough to stop it going missing. Yuu never can be sure, but at least this way there's always someone watching it on CCTV.

I'm not sure what you mean by not knowing if I can ride the 250. Why would I not be able to? I coped just fine with bikes from a DT200WR to a CR500.

Apologies NB, I read your first post as if you had just purchased your first dirt bike.
Nevertheless, my invite to you still stands, North Wales beckons, you'll love it. OK, it is getting cold up here now, but in the spring you'll be fine..... summer gets a bit too warm.......:D

Best of luck with your new steed.:thumb2

Timpo.

On the slime question, yes I use it in my tyres and since I've been using it, quite a few years now, I've never had a puncture.
But of course that doesn't prove it actually works.
Enjoy your new bike.

Back
Top Bottom