Use of GPS in Eastern Europe

barrykirkham

Planning a trip to the old "Eastern Bloc" in a couple of months' time (Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia).
Have heard tell that Police/Customs in these countries can be very suspicious of these units and may even refuse to allow them to be imported or even confiscate them.

But that's all I have..."friend of a friend of a friend 3rd hand Travellers' Tales". Anyone actually visited any of these places with a Garmin in plain view and care to tell me of their experiences?

And while I'm here could I ask exactly the same Q about bike-2-bike radios?

TIA for your help, Barry

Barry

As you may have read elsewhere, we just riden through Poland and Czech Republic using both GPSs and bike-to-bike radios. No problems (in that regard) from the local police.

Greg

Last year we rode through:-
Bulgaria
Romania
Moldovia
Ukraine
Russia and
Georgia.

No problems with GPS in any of those countries BUT if entering Russia be prepared for a long bureaucratic process AND most importantly make sure you have an International Driving Permit. It is simple and cheap to obtain an IDP fromö the RAC; without it you could have significant issues if stopped by the police...DAMHIK :)

Most of the counties you are travelling through are now EU anyway so there shouldn't be any problem.

Ian
Istanbul

Greg Masters said:
Barry

As you may have read elsewhere, we just riden through Poland and Czech Republic using both GPSs and bike-to-bike radios. No problems (in that regard) from the local police.

Greg

Thanks, Greg: both my Q's answered! B

Back
Top Bottom