Speed Triple

Happy Meal

Anyone here own a Speed Triple? I'm thinking of changing to an 07 Speed Triple from an 06 12GS as I want to try something completley different and just wondering what they're like to live with?

Other bikes I'm considering are an 07 FZ1 (the half faired one) or an 1100s Monster although the latter might be slightly beyond my budget

All comments appreciated

Cheers!

Cheers Kenny - I read that they are heavier than the average naked bikes and require a bit of hussling in the corners - true or false? Hangover permitting going to try and get a few test rides at the weekend

Licence looser if you do not show some some self restraint :augie Fast, Fun, slick handling and wheelies like a stunt bike. The baby brother the Street Triple is the same only smaller. Be sure to check the head bearings etc as they can/do/get wheelie(d) so the front end can get a hard life in the wrong hands :rolleyes:. Recommended, but not as a replacement for the GS if you want good comfort/protection over any distance..but then I am sure you new that.

Adie

I've got an 05my 1050 Speed Triple (it's my 5th fuel injected Speedy) and I absolutely love it but if I was only allowed to have one bike the GSa would be staying

If it were my money and I was buying again I'd be looking at an 08my bike as it comes with a slightly bigger pillion seat and Brembo's as standard :thumb

They're not the sort of bike you can do loads of miles in one hit on not like you can on a GS/GSA :D

My wife runs an 09 Speed Triple - a surprisingly versatile bike. Great engine, good handling and great brakes.
Fit a fly screen and you can even tour on it - she went down to the Lot Valley on it in September and got over 50 mpg.

Personally I prefer my 990 Superduke but that is far more focused than the Triple.

Get a test ride and enjoy :D

I have the updated 08 58 plate Speed Triple in black, only 900 miles from new and loads of bling, most of the R&G catalogue on it with belly pan/headlight cowl and pillion seat cover amongst other bits. Was going to sell it in the spring as i am not using it :augie

Thanks guys - suppose it comes down to a test ride really but glad to hear the Triple is as good as the journos say it is

Paul S - the local Triumph dealer is also the KTM dealer and has an 07 Superduke so I'll think I'll give it a go also, although I ride KTM's off road and think I fancy something different. What are the running costs like between the two??

Big Den - what could you possibly be suggesting??? I'm in Belfast and have to either trade or get rid of the GS. Methinks it will be a trade at this time of year! Would be interested to know what value you'd put your bike though. Local dealer is actually marketing their 07 bike as an 08 one - didn't inspire confidence when I had to point this out to them!

Touring wise - if a trip to Scotland proves big miles aren't possible on the Triple, luckily there's a Blackbird in the family garage that I can use

Isn't pontificating about new bikes great

I love trumpets, loads of stainless steel,braided lines from new, top quality build.With all the bits and v low miles would want £6500 for mine. Also has anodised brake master cylinders, loads of other kit Inc trumpet alarm

The Ultimate Speed Triple

Just what the title says............

Attachments

• Triumph Speed Triple.jpg
    Triumph Speed Triple.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
I love trumpets, loads of stainless steel,braided lines from new, top quality build.With all the bits and v low miles would want £6500 for mine. Also has anodised brake master cylinders, loads of other kit Inc trumpet alarm

Don't suppose you fancy a swap for a Tiger 1050???

Fazer

i brought a FZ1 new in 2007, fast as you would ever want and practical enough for every day use. Only thing on long rides it gave me a big headache with wind blast and touring capabilitys were not great.

I changed to a new 12gs and now have a 12GSA and i wouldnt swap it for any other bike at present.

I went to Belgium this year with my mate on his speed triple, he got the same MPG as me but his seat killed him and i ended up carrying his luggage :augie

Longdog, got an 08 1050 Tiger aswell, as i said i like Trumpets :thumb
Mine is the same as the red one without the can and its black. There is no comparison between a GS and muscle naked, totally different purpose and ride. I went from a new ADV to a R1 as i wanted something totally different and after 3 years on the ADV i was missing the speed thrill :D mind you the R1 nearly had my fillings and back out within 3 months, did the job it was ment for though.
Full spec on the Triple:

880 miles
FSH
Black
Triumph alarm system
Seat cowl/belly pan/cockpit cowl
R&G - all of the protection listed in the catalogue
Small rad shrouds
Triumph bar end mirrors
Triumph rear wheel caps
R&G rad and oil cooler guards

Has so much R&G on it i even got a fair discount from my insurers :D

and anodised brake master cylinders front and rear :thumb2 all original bits in the box. With the exception of the red one this is the best looking one i have seen.

Paul S - the local Triumph dealer is also the KTM dealer and has an 07 Superduke so I'll think I'll give it a go also, although I ride KTM's off road and think I fancy something different. What are the running costs like between the two??

Superduke does about 33mpg :eek: which is way less than the Speed Triple. KTM first running in service will also cost £240. Otherwise costs are similar.

Big Den - your bike sounds mint. If I manage to sell the GS for decent money then I'd be making you an offer.

The one I'm looking at is on for £5,495, 4,600 miles, crash bungs, hugger, and fly screen. Dealer took it in with Arrows low rider exhaust and is looking £6k incl the exhaust. Subject to seeing my GS he sounds like he'll take a straight swap

Paul S - I suspect the difference in mpg might be due to attitude of both the bike and the rider???

LBL - how was the fuelling on the FZ1? Mags say it was fixed on the 07 models but I've been told it's still not great?

FZ1 fueling

LBL - how was the fuelling on the FZ1? Mags say it was fixed on the 07 models but I've been told it's still not great?

I had the new black engine model and it was spot on, never had a problem with it what so ever, i could poodle around in top gear at 30mph and crack the throttle and off she would go, never a hesitation at all.

As i said, it was only the long days riding with wind blast at higher speeds and its touring capabilities made me change.

It was a handsome little machine.

Attachments

• FZ1.jpg
    FZ1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 88

Back
Top Bottom