What jacket to buy???

(RIP) Miff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My ageing Akito Cobra is really in need of replacing. I've had it for approx 10 years, and it cost me £100 (with a free pair of gloves worth £40).

So, What do you tossers reccomend??

I want a cordura (or similar) jacket. Quite long (NOT a blouson style). Warm and shower proof. Armour is a must.

I don't often ride in the winter, nor when the weather is really crap. I don't really want a BMW jacket as they are wayyyyyy too expensive, and I don't like wearing branded gear on the same brand of bike.

Price wise, as little as possible (see details of teh Akito above).

Oh yeah. It'll need to be a SMALL or Med.

Thanks in advance

I think Rev It ticks all the boxes.

I've got the Cayenne Pro Jacket and Pants which very similar to the RP2 but a fraction of the price. The Off Track Jacket and Dakar Pants are also very popular.

There's plenty of threads about these jackets, have a search.

You might find a sale on at Lind BMW in Norwich - especially if you take a smaller size.

Im using a Held Jacket, excellent piece of kit FULLY waterproof, and warm had minor issue when first bought it and was immediately swapped with no argument at all.

revit do make warm jackets, but their waterproof material is worthless! just make sure it's gore-tex and not some 'own brand' equivalent.

I will agree with Don E Leee.... +1 for RevIt....there are duable, great quality and all the plus that you can find in a BMW suit (especially the Cayenne Pro series..) but half the price....
If you consider that RevIt are expensive and you want something cheaper...HG has a series of clothes that I believe that can do the job...

Although from my personal experience... go for RevIt... as for the waterproofing quality...I tested them in simple rain..hard rain...in "Noe style" rain...and I was happy...but always will say something different bsed on his experienced....

I agree that Hein Gericke do quality kit which is very keenly priced. On the other hand, I don't think you could do better than an Aerostich Darien, although with the shipping and probable Customs duty, they're not exactly cheap.

Seeing as you like Akito and you don't want to spend alot - freinds of mine are raving about the new Akito Desert suit. Its 200 pounds delivered.....for the whole suit.......

Seeing as you like Akito and you don't want to spend alot - freinds of mine are raving about the new Akito Desert suit. Its 200 pounds delivered.....for the whole suit.......

I've been using my Akito Desert suit for the last 15 months and it's great except for the annoying zip-in plastic waterproof membrane liner. Way too much hassle to put in and out. I bought a light PVC plastic rain suit (ISS I think) which is much more convenient (if a little flappy).

Mind you, I saw this suit on another UKGSer post a few minutes ago and am very tempted, although as a one-piece suit it's probably a different beast to what you're wanting...

A mate bought a Hein Gericke Devon 3 suit for a recent trip to the Alps. He was very happy with it. He's probably a medium. http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/products_id/5018 - if you buy the older mk2 jacket then it is £30 cheaper.

I went to HG with the intention of buying a Devon jacket. Being short & fat I couldn't find the right size: often the arms are far too long in a jacket that goes around my girth. I ended up spending twice as much on a HG Cruise 2, which is a fabulous jacket. Very warm and dry.

If you do go to HG and decide to make a purchase then buy gift vouchers first before making a purchase as you will get a bonus e.g. with the £150 Devon jacket you will get £30 of vouchers to spend on other stuff.

"XMAS XTRA!
From now until Christmas Eve we’re offering you an Xmas Xtra! If you buy a £50 Giftcard, we’ll give you a £10 Giftcard for free. And if you treat someone to a £100 Giftcard we’ll give you a £20 Giftcard free! It’s up to you whether you pass this festive bonus onto a loved one or keep it for yourself!"
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/192/products_id/5925

Annoyingly, I bought my jacket the week before this promo was announced :rolleyes:

I've been using my Akito Desert suit for the last 15 months and it's great except for the annoying zip-in plastic waterproof membrane liner. Way too much hassle to put in and out. I bought a light PVC plastic rain suit (ISS I think) which is much more convenient (if a little flappy).

Mind you, I saw this suit on another UKGSer post a few minutes ago and am very tempted, although as a one-piece suit it's probably a different beast to what you're wanting...

Got to agree, the Akito suit is a real bargain, I spotted a BMW instructor wearing one a couple of years ago and was so impressed i went out and bought one, some parts are low rent, especially the inner zips, but for the price its a nice warm and dry winter kit, much warmer than my Rukka jacket, and a lot cheaper! :rob

Many thanks for all of your suggestions.

After searching several shops I finally settled on a FT Fusion Tour in black. The link is for the same jacket, but with a different name :nenau :nenau

I found an Akito desert, but it was too big, and I wouldn't give that particular shop my money (long story involving MOTs and extra charges for work they didn't do).
Lind BMW. WAAAAAYYYYY too expensive.
Hein Gericke. Nothing I liked and also silly money. The Mrs liked the BRIGHT YELLOW jacket :eek :eek :eek but not for me.

Last visit to Tinklers, and she picks up the above jacket. She likes it and so do I. I think it's last years/seasons model, but it was reduced from £150 down to £50 :JB :JB :JB :JB :JB

It's even got Titanium shoulder bits, so should spark nicely if I crash.

It's so warm, I might even take the bike out this weekend.

Ah...memories.
My first accident aged 16 on my Fizzy was outside Tinklers in Norwich. I was so busy looking at some bike parked outside I didn`t notice the car coming the other way as I turned right! Poor old dear thought she had killed me, bless her.:augie
Looks like a nice jacket by the way and for £50 you can`t go wrong.:thumb2

The Akito Desert jacket is very cheap to buy and the old maxim "you get what you pay for " applies here......The main zip broke on mine after the second time I wore it and both the retailer (Ghostbikes in Preston) and the main supplier (in Cumbria) refused to repair it under warranty because I had lost the receipt.........admittedly it was my own fault for losing the receipt but the jacket was obviously unworn and their only excuse was "You might have bought it abroad!.." .......So if you only want a jacket to last you 2 trips then buy this one; if you expect a jacket to last longer than 2 trips then spend the extra and buy a proper jacket from a quality company............spending more on good quality clothing is far cheaper in the long run..........My experience with an Akito Desert jacket has not been a happy one.......and I gave it a 1 star rating only because I was unable to give it a zero......

Back
Top Bottom