Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiring a wobbly box in NZ recomendations

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Hiring a wobbly box in NZ recomendations

Anyone got any first-hand experience of hiring a motorhome in NZ. Like the look of Mighway.com to rent directly from owners etc. I would be going in Jan/Feb 2018. Hiring for 12 days....

Any experience of this or other options would be welcome.

Cheers all,

I don't know them, just seen them about https://www.justgo.uk.com
    Sell my bike?
    I would rather stick wasps up my arse !

Any....other options would be welcome.
    We are in November 2017. You are off to NZ to hire a motorhome in January of 2018 and you are only asking now, on a motorcycle forum inhabited mostly by blokes who stay in the UK, venturing (most often) not much further than Europe on their two wheeled steeds?

A two second Google search of 'motorhome hire nz' turned up lots of advice, including the TripAdvisor NZ forum. I'd be spending a reasonable amount of time looking there, not here.

One last thought, January / February is the depth of our winter, which suggests it's pretty much the height of summer down under. I'd consider getting my skates on, before the decent rentals are all gone. But hey, that's just me.

Look in Smiths or another big magazine shop...
    Look in the rear of THE MMM Magazine....it,s all about motorhoming...
    or search for it on line and look at the fotums pages..

Look at Motorhome Bookers in uk we used them for NZ no problems and a good deal Did north to south in 3 weeks
    Abide with me !

Ah, the shakey Islands.....Have done it twice. ( as old codger says , take 3 weeks , maybe more)

Arguably the best place in the world to tour in a motorhome.
    Stunning scenery, have a fabulous trip.

We used; https://www.justgo.uk.com/nz-motorhome-hire.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    We are in November 2017. You are off to NZ to hire a motorhome in January of 2018 and you are only asking now, on a motorcycle forum inhabited mostly by blokes who stay in the UK, venturing (most often) not much further than Europe on their two wheeled steeds?

A two second Google search of 'motorhome hire nz' turned up lots of advice, including the TripAdvisor NZ forum. I'd be spending a reasonable amount of time looking there, not here.

One last thought, January / February is the depth of our winter, which suggests it's pretty much the height of summer down under. I'd consider getting my skates on, before the decent rentals are all gone. But hey, that's just me.
    Yep, done all that, just thought there might some on here with some sage info, and only just decided to go... family stuff... sorry if I offended you with my lack of planning

Thanks Charles and Wreford... I will check out the justgo website now... got 17 days on the South Island so really looking forward to it... on my bucket list

Quote Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
    Look at Motorhome Bookers in uk we used them for NZ no problems and a good deal Did north to south in 3 weeks
    Cheers OC, will check them out too.... munch appreciated

Apprentice to the Chief Idiot Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    As others have said it is the middle of our summer in NZ.
    Prices will be high as companies fleece customers for their summer holidays. 12 days is not enough to do both islands. Pick an island and tour it then come back and do the other one.
    Even as a local 6 days round the South Island is pressing it and I’ve seen it all several times. Chinese New Year is February 16 and the country gets full for that with companies again fleecing customers.
    Accommodation will be tight in the South Island around the tourist resorts over these months even for wobbly boxes. Wild Camping is frowned on in most of the resorts even for fully self contained vehicles.
    Apart from that it will all be fine.
    Come on over and enjoy but don’t speed as police instigate a 4kmh buffer during large holiday periods.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post

Loads of time to organise and book.
    Try this:
    https://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations?region_id=2

Have a look here ... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdi...tion-Continues

Mike seemed to manage fine without a camper. Hiring a car is another option.

Kia Ora
    Last Xmas I did a quick blat around the South Island from Farewell Spit (top) down west coast to Bluff (bottom) then up east coast. It was a biking trip rather than scenic looksee, and this still took a brilliant 7 days. Accommodation is going to be your greatest concern. Its not only the Kiwis on holiday at this time of year, but everyone wants to join in on the party.
    A lot of councils are really stamping down on this "freedom camping bullshit". Recently the country has had an infestation of generally younger "world-travelers" who believe everything should be free and that its their right to drive in crapped out vans, piss and shit everywhere, dump their trash, and then f...ck off. Councils have begun to listen and are really clamping down - as they are the ones left with footing the clean-up bill.
    Don't let me put you off. NZ is a super fab place to travel especially the South Island (Te Wai Pounamu)by motorhome. And though slightly bias the country is generally safe to travel, roads are okay, and english is fairly well spoken throughout. BUT you are intending to travel at the height of the holiday season and there will be a number of tourist spots which will be populated beyond breaking point.
    For me 12 days would only just be enough for the top half of the South Island or the bottom half of the North (Te Ika a Maui) don't plan to do 1000's of kms but rather plan for heaps of stops where you can experience such things as walking, biking, kayaking etc.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Haere Ra
    "You're getting old when you don't care where your spouse goes, just as
    long as you don't have to go along. "

Been there twice in campervans, once with Wilderness who have now moved to the high end and this year with Kiwi Campervans, both times in a VW T5 hightop.

Not a cheap way to do it, budget on about £180 a day all in including your van, insurance, site fees, fuel, food etc but excluding flights.

As advised above, I would stick to doing one half of one island in 17 days otherwise it will feel like a military operation, like you are just on the road all the time. The roads are good but much like Scottish A roads you won't be getting anywhere fast. 250-300km feels like a long day's driving in a 'van.

We never had any bother finding sites, it's best to phone ahead in the morning if you're heading to the tourist spots though.

I can't recommend the Rankers NZ App https://www.rankers.co.nz/about/official-camping-nz-app highly enough as you can download the maps to your device for offline use as phone signal / wifi can be patchy.

At the lower end of the market you will be pretty much 'on your own' once you've left the depot, a quick look at the reviews on Rankers will tell you that.

Free maps are available from NZ Open GPS Project and worked fine in our Garmin. I've got a load of gpx files and other stuff, if you're interested PM me.

Have fun, we absolutely love the place and intend to return once circumstances allow.

Is there an optimum period when to visit. We're considering a 22 day tour using a car and pre booked hotels/B+Bs?

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

We have been both times end of Jan onwards, have been lucky maybe but generally had good weather. Was cool around the south of the south island in early Feb, maybe a couple of weeks earlier would have been warmer down there but otherwise generally in the 20s.

The locals' holidays tend to end around Waitangi day on the 6th Feb, things are noticeably quieter on the sites after that. It's a very outdoor lifestyle the Kiwis lead so camping / outdoor days with the family are popular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast