Wanted - stainless steel rod

shugie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm trying to mend a table on a boat, and need to reinforce the table legs internally with something strong that won't rust. I'm not entirely sure what the legs are made of though, they don't have any rust, but were welded to a mild steel plate that has rusted. Magnets stick to them quite well.

I need two rods of outside diameter 36.5mm, and about 200m long, preferably with chamfered ends to help with the introduction into the legs. The material needs to be strong, as in a good sea the table is an important support for those making their way to the khazi, or heads in boat speak. Stainless seems a good idea, but I'm open to suggestions. Epoxy will hold the rods in place in the legs.

You need to post a coupla pics, Shugie - what you are describing sounds a bit clumsy?

36.5mm OD steel bar?

Al :thumb2

I don't presently have anything much to take a picture of, although I can do a simple drawing if that helps?

The inside diameter of the broken table leg is 36.5mm and I want to repair that with something strong that can be epoxied inside. As the repair will be close to the base end of the leg, and the leg is subject to substantial sideways force at the top, the insert needs to be strong and long enough to transfer the load into the remaining part of the leg. The wall thickness of leg is 3.8mm, and on closer inspection there is some rust around the area where it was welded. said weld rusted and caused the failure. External reinforcement isn't possible.

i think nylon bar would do the job, and a lot lighter than a metal bar,,,,,,or do u mean tube??

Nylon bar sounds a good plan, plenty of strength and no risk of corrosion, but there's a bloke on ebay selling a 2m length of 35mm nylon bar for £25 plus shipping, so it might well be worth a punt. That would give me enough to do the whole length of both legs.

Would epoxy bond nylon to steel?

Nylon bar sounds a good plan,

Would epoxy bond nylon to steel?
Nylon has a kind of slippery finish that might cause difficulty in obtaining a strong bond, but as you are gluing a rod inside a tube then a good rough up with abrasive paper and a solvent wipe ought to make it bond well enough to work for a table leg.
Stewart

Nylon has a kind of slippery finish that might cause difficulty in obtaining a strong bond, but as you are gluing a rod inside a tube then a good rough up with abrasive paper and a solvent wipe ought to make it bond well enough to work for a table leg.
Stewart

Plenty of acetone from cleaning up fibreglassing stuff, will try that and the trusty sikaflex instead of epoxy.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sikaflex :thumb2 the nylon and steel ought to hold it until the Sikaflex hardens :D

Stewart

I have a load of stainless tube of varying dia, You can have some for nowt - but you would need to collect (and bring an angle grinder to cut) - Send me a PM if interested. (I am between Basingstoke & Reading)

Sikaflex :thumb2 the nylon and steel ought to hold it until the Sikaflex hardens :D

Stewart

Sikaflex..... what would i do without this wonderful substance ... Two instances come to mind in the last couple of years.

A work college refused to adjust & lube the chain on his ZX9, and as predicted the chain snapped and smashed a hole in the casing around the gearbox sprocket.... after removing the oil & crud laid the bike on its side, cleaned the area with brake cleaner & applied a couple of layers of sikaflex.
Allowed it to cure for a weeks... the bike is still running completely oil tight.

A friend had an Austin A30, the front engine mounting perished..... sikaflex to the rescue.... constructed two new mountings using this most versatile substance..

Back
Top Bottom