Off road ride

SkyGod

What Tyre pressure you running
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there going to be an off road ride at this bash?
:thumb2

Last edited:
I`m happy to pop down and see what I can find. Anyone local enough to start me off?

STill not 100% I can make it as work is a bit last minute for me but if if I can find a route I can always pass it on.

SKYGOD , ime fairly local to the area and have just started hunting out some local lanes, ive never organised or led a ride usually tagging onto rides organised by others (poor excuse i know) The lanes i have found and ridden so far i have done easily on 650 x challenge and i think that they would be do able on a 1200 gs, the lanes are nothing like as challenging as North Wales or the Peaks.
I am still finding the trails, and as i get closer to Craven Arms / Ludlow the trails seem to be getting longer and a little more challenging.

Be happy to meet up and see how we do.:thumb2

I have marked up all the BOATS onto Ordnance Survey maps and have started finding / riding those from the Shifnal area out towards Claverley / Quatt and Bridgnorth, i have started to find those from Bridgnorth towards Craven Arms (SW) and as you say they are getting longer and more challenging, will try and get out over the New Year break and ride as many as i can and try and put a route together, as i said earlier i am new to organising a rideout so it may be a bit hit and miss:augie

Sorry chaps but I cant do a recce now. off for a few weeks in the morning with work but hopefully back for the event.

Happy new year to you all.

Top of this page, just under Nippy Norman ad

UKGSER 2010 EVENTS, just watch and wait till sunny shropshire bash is shown and double click on it:thumb

OFF ROAD RIDE

Right then, i did a recce today for an off road ride at the bash, ill be happy to lead, but remember i aint led a ride before so you will have to bear with me. (having said that i didnt get lost today !)

Okay i set off from Broseley and headed towards Craven Arms, distance of about 40 miles, taking in 12 totaly legal byways (BOATS), there is a good cafe at Craven Arms for a sandwich and tea stop , and then did the same route in reverse, total 80 miles, now ime open to suggestions if people dont fancy doing the same lanes in reverse, there are more lanes south of Craven Arms heading towards Leintwardine but i think this would add a fair few miles on to the day to take these in, which would probably mean that we would have to do a quick blast back via A roads on the way back, so as to not get caught out on the trails in the dark.

I did the recce on an X Challenge and all lanes were easily doable, there was only one which i thought may be tricky on an 1100 / 1150 / 1200 size bike and that was an uphill lane with some stoney steps from the village of Hungerford, if anyone has done this lane on a big bike then let us know and we can include it in the run, i must admit it was one of the nicer lanes to ride.

Well let me know what you think, if anyone has any ideas to change any of the above ime open to suggestions, so whose up for it.

If you can add your names to the list below with what bike you will be riding it will give me an idea of numbers. :thumb2

FERRET X challenge

Right then, i did a recce today for an off road ride at the bash, ill be happy to lead, but remember i aint led a ride before so you will have to bear with me. (having said that i didnt get lost today !)

Okay i set off from Broseley and headed towards Craven Arms, distance of about 40 miles, taking in 12 totaly legal byways (BOATS), there is a good cafe at Craven Arms for a sandwich and tea stop , and then did the same route in reverse, total 80 miles, now ime open to suggestions if people dont fancy doing the same lanes in reverse, there are more lanes south of Craven Arms heading towards Leintwardine but i think this would add a fair few miles on to the day to take these in, which would probably mean that we would have to do a quick blast back via A roads on the way back, so as to not get caught out on the trails in the dark.

I did the recce on an X Challenge and all lanes were easily doable, there was only one which i thought may be tricky on an 1100 / 1150 / 1200 size bike and that was an uphill lane with some stoney steps from the village of Hungerford, if anyone has done this lane on a big bike then let us know and we can include it in the run, i must admit it was one of the nicer lanes to ride.

Well let me know what you think, if anyone has any ideas to change any of the above ime open to suggestions, so whose up for it.

If you can add your names to the list below with what bike you will be riding it will give me an idea of numbers. :thumb2

FERRET X challenge

Yo Ferret...that's dedication of the highest order :clap

I'm up for doing the lanes with ya. I don't mind tail ending. Regarding the route, I guess if it's your ride and you're leading, it's your call which lanes to do....Personally, I don't mind doing the harder stuff on a 12GSA....

Thank goodness for that, i thought everyone had decided not to venture out on the off road ride, ime fine with the harder stuff , i was more concerned with different skills levels, if your happy to do the one i thought might be trickie ime happy, i think its best to see who is up for the ride and go with what everyone is happy with, great to have you on board , see you end of January, ime hoping to get ot again before the bash to recce the route again , hopefully it will have thawed a bit:thumb

Come on everyone get your name down

Ferret X challenge
Stevie 12 GSA

Good idea mate, thats my plan so far subject to work cocking me about.
:thumb

i thought everyone had decided not to venture out on the off road ride, ime fine with the harder stuff , i was more concerned with different skills levels, if your happy to do the one i thought might be trickie ime happy, i think its best to see who is up for the ride and go with what everyone is happy with, great to have you on board , see you end of January, ime hoping to get ot again before the bash to recce the route again , hopefully it will have thawed a bit:thumb

Come on everyone get your name down

I may need to get my camping gear driven down for me or talk my buddy into coming along in his van but I'm up for a bit of a roost.

Ferret X challenge
Stevie 12 GSA
TBH DRZ400E

Malcolm on 650GS twin + TKC80s.

I managed Gaz's off-road Peak ride out at the Rippon meet last year but I'm definitely a novice. Happy to give anything a go as long as others are happy to help straighten me and the bike out afterwards.

I won't know if I can get down until the Friday so if I'm not there don't hang around. But...don't leave early like the Friday night group at Rippon did. Two of us turned up 15mins early only to find the group had already gone. :mad:

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom