URGENT WARNING

BamBam

Reaction score
Today I was having a good clean ready to ACF50 took the tank off, and found this:tears
HP2E BAD WIRE.jpg

HP2e BAD WIRE 2.jpg

HP2E BAD WIRE1.JPG

The Fuel tank has worn the wiring loom around the ECU (on the RHS as you sit on the bike).
COPPER WIRE IS SHOWING :eek:
All fuel tank rubbers in place and not worn (stock size tank).Wiring harness in stock position :blast

Now BMW have armoured the harness in this position but not enough:mad:

I will have my camara back tomorrow so will take some better Pictures.

Yep, that's serious.

It appears that your tank has rubbed your wiring loom completely out of focus :D

I'll check mine tomorrow ;)

BTW, what mileage are you on now?

I'll be taking mine appart on sunday for it's annual random pocking about... will have a look and see what mine looks like.

Ta for the heads up.

:thumb2

Thanks for the warning.
I'll be stripping mine this weekend so will have a good look.
what is the possible solution by the way, can the loom be moved?. obviously asking before i get mine in bits, so the answer may be forthcoming tomor.

Better pictures

Took some more pictures to day:comfort
DSC_0004web.jpg
From outside with the RHS grey cover off, no sign what so ever of a damaged wiring loom

DSC_0003web.jpg
With the tank removed, all rubber bushes intact

DSC_0002web.jpg
Damaged wires, there are rub marks on the flat side of the tank:blast

Attachments

• DSC_0011web.jpg
    DSC_0011web.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • DSC_00111web.jpg
    DSC_00111web.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,113
I took all the sidecovers off last night and there are a few spots to check basically and the would be all the points where the loom is strapped with cable ties to the frame. I basically cut them all loose and wound some extra insulation around the loom at these points. The backlight on my speedo is still shining though and can't figure out why :blast

:comfort
yep same problem used some self amalgimating tape to do a botch repair.Hey lets be realistic remember back in 70's jap bike electrics used to literally dissolve in road salt.
I think we should go down the aeirospace route regular thorough maintainace.
Our bikes need to go through a regular maintainance schedule just do it and enjoy it.:comfort:augie:D
like keeping your other half happy:aidan
:jager

Well after 10 years and 75,000 miles I've fallen foul of this issue.

Commuting into work last week my HP stopped a couple of times on the motorway, and I had to be rescued.

Managed to get the bike dropped off at my local dealership but they couldn't look at it for a few days. When they did wheel it into the workshop the wiring started shorting and a little fire ensued.

Now awaiting delivery of a new wiring loom :blast

Well after 10 years and 75,000 miles I've fallen foul of this issue.

Commuting into work last week my HP stopped a couple of times on the motorway, and I had to be rescued.

Managed to get the bike dropped off at my local dealership but they couldn't look at it for a few days. When they did wheel it into the workshop the wiring started shorting and a little fire ensued.

Now awaiting delivery of a new wiring loom :blast

Wow! Lucky it was there not on the motorway that the fire started!

Back
Top Bottom