Hydration packs

Vendome 41

Reaction score
Has any one used one of them on long distance rathe than off road ?
Would appriciate any comments

Yep, got a Camelback 2litre. Thought it was abit much at first. If your thirsty stop and have a drink. Started using it regular and wouldn't be without it now. I think dehydration sort of creeps up on you. Downside, pee more.

4166931-M.jpg

Got a Camelbak for offroad and a Halfords jobby within a small rucksack for GS'ing (mixed road/offroad) they are invaluable.

Dehydration creeps up on you and often the first you know about it is when you collapse in a heap, if you wait until your thirsty it's too late.

At a British Championship Enduro that I help run, on the hottest weekend of last summer, we had a large number of very fit young riders suffering very badly - kept the St John crews busy (and thus happy) for quite some time.

I have the Cameback H.A.W.G. ...wait for it..Holds A lot of Water & Gear...ged it?

Thats not interpertation BTW but Camelbacks!!

3 litre liquid and shit loads of expanding space plus nets and bungy straps everywhere. OK it costs a lot of money, but you can pull all the straps in so that it is quite small compact.

Better to have to much than to little I say?

BTBR

My 2 pennorth:

Why do you need one for long distance touring? Unlike off roading or competitions you are not using water rapidly.

On long journeys you need to take a break every couple of hours. 20 mins is enough. If you don't then you will start to get that tunnel vision thing regardless of your moisture levels.

On my last bike, a CBR600, the fuel tank dictated the stops. On the GS it's my arse that does it. 150-200 miles is enough before a walk around is advisable. I've tried to ride beyond this threshold but it is self defeating as you end up taking much longer breaks.

Oh yes

Don't agree Wessie! Me and my mate did Calais-Portugal last August... the hottest weather I'd ever experienced, and across central Spain it was in the 40's every day. No way could you go two hours without a drink... you'd have been dead! We were filling up with petrol and water every two hours. It was a life saver to be able to have a cool drink of water every 10 mins or so... and completely safe and with no hinderance to progress.

Maybe not so necessary in cooler conditions, but for hot weather touring they're invaluable!

As others have said... the great think is that you don't leave it too long between drinks (and end up with headache and fatigue) You can just have a drink whenever you like.

Personally I wouldn't tour without one now!

Will

The "Nathan" is easier for summer weather riding..

...than the full CamelBak.

Lower C of G too ...... worn lower down around the waist .

<iframe frameborder="1" height="700" scrolling="auto" src="http://www.nathansports.com/h2o1.html" width="700"></iframe>

Camelbak/water system gets my vote, big-time.

Got hit by dehydration 5 years ago off-roading in Andorra; not funny at all. :eek:

As others have said, it creeps up on you & then (like diving narcosis) you can convince yourself that 'nothings wrong' - thus worsening the situation. Luckily, mine was halted by my mates stopping the ride & literally forcing me to drink water, but the subsequent shakes, vomiting & headache was BAD, BAD, BAD.
It really shook me afterwards that I could get into such a situation; I had been fooled by the lack of sweat - which was due to the lack of hydration.

A good tip is to monitor your pee:
any shade of yellow - drink more
any smell to it - drink more
not peed with the last hour - drink more
and remember, you also need to replace your loss of salt too; so add a rehydration sachet to your Camelbak every time you refill.

Just Bought One !

Browsing in Millets at lunchtime..as you do and saw a Peter Storm Camelback thingy for £14.99.Worth a try i thought especially as i do some mountain biking and fell walking.Going to Slovenia on the GS soon so i`ll let you know how it fares.

HEY FITZEY i'll be in slovenia mid july on the gs, when you goin ?

Camelbacks (or similar) essential

I bought a Carebee (a 2 litre Camelback lookalike) while riding around Australia a couple of years ago. the purchase was instigated by the onset of dehydration in 40 degree + temps. after nearly going straight on at a bend. After that, every time I re-fueled I had a drink then comsumed 2 litres of water between every fuel stop. This fixed the dehydration and I felt much more alert; managed 1200kms. one day and felt fine at the end of it.
These items are a must for any long trip and could probably save your life.
:Catrun

P.S.

'forgot to mention; as long as you are pee-ing regularly you are not dehydrated, it's when you stop that it's time to worry.

when the time comes to replace your bladder(in your hydration pack) the PLATYPUS bladders are a lot better than camelback ones.You dont get that taste of plastic that you do with the camelback bladders,stronger too

I just used my Camelback 2l jobby across Europe and it was good to have it...I just filled it up each mornng from a bottle bought from the hotel or at the first fuel stop and had nice cool water to sip at at 100+ on the motorway......very pleasant.

In Slovakia though, i made a bit of a booboo......I didn't know what the Slovak for non-carbonated water was and ended up with a very blown up camelback......I had to keep squirting it for a good few hours to stop it from exploding.....but that was quite amusing in itself:D

I won't do any longer trips without it and even for shorter trips in the UK this summer i'm looking forwards to taking icy water out with me.

Thoroughly recommended

Does anybody use a hydration pack inside the Rallye II jacket?

If so, which one will fit?

The "Trinkbak" is sold by bmw for it, but I suppose that's simply a Camelbak or similar for a higher price...

Cheers,
Michel

jon b said:
when the time comes to replace your bladder(in your hydration pack) the PLATYPUS bladders are a lot better than camelback ones.You dont get that taste of plastic that you do with the camelback bladders,stronger too

I'd have said the other way around, Camelbak bladders are stronger than the Platypus ones. Certainly when I did the Caledonian Challenge we were recommended to buy Cambak for their strength.

Hydration Pack

Trans -Sahara 2002 used 3 litre 'Platypus' from local camping store @£15.00 tied inside normal back pack. Used 'Nutricia' additive (any good sports shop) 3 litres am, 3 litres pm @ 50 degrees C!

'Old Berber' tale - First sign of dehydration is bad temper - always works.

Re: Hydration Pack

Burgman said:

'Old Berber' tale - First sign of dehydration is bad temper - always works.

Good call - I found myself getting irritable in the desert in Utah on a couple of occasions and couldn't work out why - started drinking more (I use a CamelBack 2l, BTW) and the problem disappeared...

Mike:)

Re: Re: Hydration Pack

Mike O said:
Good call - I found myself getting irritable in the desert in Utah on a couple of occasions and couldn't work out why - started drinking more (I use a CamelBack 2l, BTW) and the problem disappeared...

Mike:)

No Mike, that's just you being a naturally stroppy bastige ;)

:D

jefformston said:
I'd have said the other way around, Camelbak bladders are stronger than the Platypus ones. Certainly when I did the Caledonian Challenge we were recommended to buy Cambak for their strength.

I would agree with jefformston, without having tested the Platys I can vouch that the Camelbaks are a lot stronger than they actually look. We've used them on extended scuba dives (sometimes out of their protective bags) & with rough handling and they've lasted well.

That sounds a good tip too for biking (First sign of dehydration is bad temper), but unlikely u/water - where the problem is the opposite i.e. euphoria (depth narcosis-induced)!

Back
Top Bottom