Fair play by Hein Gericke

MasterDabber

Reaction score
Back in March I bought one of the new Maxwell Goretex 2 jackets (and trousers).
I bought the jacket via H-G's mail order operation. This arrived promptly and I gave it it's first ride when I went over to the 1200 launch at SPC. A distance of about 30 miles from home.
Whilst there speaking with Monsieur Gauloise, he pointed out that the seams on both arms had split near the elbow between the fabric and leather.
Contacted H-G and they were apologetic and shipped a relacement straight away.

All appeared to be OK until this week, but after returning from a ride to see the famed baker of Andover, I found that on one arm the same thing had started to happen again.
Contacted H-G, told them I had started to lose confidence in the jacket.... and was concerened what would happen to the seams if I went for a slide down the road.
To cut a long story short(er) they arranged for me to ride over to H-G at Slough and replaced the Maxwell Goretex 2 jacket with the Master IV which is £50 more expensive jacket.

Whilst I was a p*ssed off with having to muck about with replacements and all that... I have to be fair and say that H-G have been very responsive and seem to have done the right thing by me. The people I dealt with on the phone and in the store were all very helpful.

Word of warning though... they said the were planning to send to faulty jacket back to Germany for inspection, I got the impression they have run into a few problems with this jacket... but I never looked to see if they had taken them off the shelves.

It won't go to Germany.

It will end up on a rack in a marquee at the BMF show.
Probably about £30.

What size are you?:D

Did you change the pants as well, and did they do straight swap or charge you the difference?
I have just taken back a Tricky jacket which was only four weeks old as it leaked, swapped it for the Master, but had to pay the difference, staff were a bit arsey. (Manchester branch)

Les Wassall said:
Did you change the pants as well, and did they do straight swap or charge you the difference?
I have just taken back a Tricky jacket which was only four weeks old as it leaked, swapped it for the Master, but had to pay the difference, staff were a bit arsey. (Manchester branch)

No Les. I stuck with the Maxwell Goretex 2 pants.
There have been no quality problems with them so far and i like them.
They fit well, they are a bit different in their fitting to most of the other H-G range... Master, Voyager etc in that they come in different waist sizes as opposed to S, M L XXL etc
So the ones I had were quite slim (he says showing off) and about the right leg length. Trouble with some of them is the leg length being too long... I'm not so very short, about 5' 9" but my legs are quite short compared to my body.

From a fashion perspective the Master jacket looks fine with the Maxwell pants at least IMHO.

As far as the swap of the jacket goes... yes, straight swap.. they never asked me for the additional £50. And I wouldn't have paid anyway. The whole thing was very civilised and I was at all times very polite (and I think reasonable) to them. However, I was firm in setting out my expectations.

The reason I started this thread was:
1. to say they did alright by me.
2. warn others that the Maxwell Goretex 2 jacket may have a few problems.

Sounds good. I bought a Maxwell WP II (Shelltex) jacket last week and it seems quite good and better than the last two HG jackets I've had, although with heavy use they have lasted 4.5years..... in all.....

judge said:
Waddabout my ankles, do they look fat?

Only if you fart wearing tights - according to Billy Connollly, one of his many theories that I have yet to try myself.

Shug

Originally posted by Masterdabber

I have to be fair and say that H-G have been very responsive and seem to have done the right thing by me

Guess you were lucky, they didn't do the decent thing with me a few years back. Still, there are plnety of other suppliers out there who are more deserving of my custom.

Bob

I have a Maxwell Gortex 2 suite & have covered well over 2500 miles & touch wood it has been great very comfortable & bone dry in the last set of Monsoons we have been having .
I have just been down stairs & checked all the seems & zips on both the jacket & pants I'm pleased to say that they are sound as a pound. Maybe there was a bad batch. H& G have allways made good gear I have been using it for years" top stuff"

Geezer said:
I have a Maxwell Gortex 2 suite & have covered well over 2500 miles & touch wood it has been great very comfortable & bone dry in the last set of Monsoons we have been having .
I have just been down stairs & checked all the seems & zips on both the jacket & pants I'm pleased to say that they are sound as a pound. Maybe there was a bad batch. H& G have allways made good gear I have been using it for years" top stuff"

Where mine went was on the sleeves, near the elbow, where the leather and fabric met. This happened on the first jacket then again on the replacement Maxwell GT2.
The actual seam never opened, what happened was the fabric running alongside the leather started to split.
Also, on the first jacket the fabric began to bobble and wear (after 30 miles!!) up nearer the armpit (sorry, not a pretty decription). Not actually under the armpit but the front of the sleeve.

Hope yours lasts OK. It's a shame about the problem as I liked the jacket and, as you say, it was warm, dry and comfortable.

Must say.. first impressions of the Master IV jacket are good... but time will tell.

I experienced the same problem with the leather/fabric seams separating.
Unfortunately it happened to me whilst touring the Alps and Germany (small irony!).
Both sleeves have opened - the right is by far the worst.

For the same trip I also purchased a pair of HG waterproof gloves. After a very wet journey over Gross Glockner last Monday, I am still trying to dry them out.

Denis Milne said:
I experienced the same problem with the leather/fabric seams separating.
Unfortunately it happened to me whilst touring the Alps and Germany (small irony!).
Both sleeves have opened - the right is by far the worst.

For the same trip I also purchased a pair of HG waterproof gloves. After a very wet journey over Gross Glockner last Monday, I am still trying to dry them out.

Dennis. I'd push them hard for a good replacement... (at no additional cost to you)
I lost faith in the Maxwell GT2 and pushed for the Master lV.
So far this has given no problems and is really comfortable.

Took the jacket back last Tuesday and got a full refund - I didn't really fancy any of the other jackets.
Prior to that (on Saturday) I traded my ZZR 1200 for a 1200 GS and got a very good trade in price. So I am considering re-cycling some of that back into a Rallye jacket.

Now a fully fledged GSer - at least I think I am despite some of the posts here about the 1200...

Love the bike to bits; faster than the ZZR in every condition except motorways/dual-carriageways, and only there at irrelevant speeds. Bike is in today for 1st service, so after that it should start to loosen up a bit (with some encouragement).

P.S. courtesy bike is a K1200LT - quite surreal but enormous fun, especially the reverse gear and electric centre stand - some day all cars will be like this ;)

My Maxwell jacket has also started to come apart at the leather. It does seem (excuse the pun) that the thread that has to be used to hold the safety seam in the leather is stronger than the textile that the leather attaches to, hence the material splits at the join. I will be taking mine back this week, all being well and will post the results for those who are interested.

Incidentally, called the shop today and the manager knew exactly what I was going to say before I said it.

Thank goodness I read this before I trolled off to the HG shop in Southampton to buy one of these jackets.

Question now in my mind is whether I should buy a BMW Savanah 2 suit ... BMW do supply some very good branded items but the cost can be a bit sphincter clenching.

You could always try your luck and ask for a discount. I bought a Rallye 2 suit from Prestige last month. They knocked 15% off the price of the jacket. They had to order the trousers in from Germany, but still knocked 10% off the price of them. Total saving on the suit was £84.

Bob

Bob Southgate said:
You could always try your luck and ask for a discount. I bought a Rallye 2 suit from Prestige last month. They knocked 15% off the price of the jacket. They had to order the trousers in from Germany, but still knocked 10% off the price of them. Total saving on the suit was £84.

Bob

Hmmmmmmmmm .. the nearest dealers are SPC or CW. I wonder if either would offer a discount if I asked nicely ... Not that I'm cheap, you understand. It's just that HG have, in general, a good reputation and decent prices. Perhaps it's simply that I aspire to BMW clothing. Or I could be a 'label queen'.

I received excellent customer service from Dave the manager at HG Taunton who replaced the jacket with the Master jacket without any hassle, which in turn led to me buying some decent (and more expensive than I would usually go for) gloves.

:D

Droopy Dick said:
Hmmmmmmmmm .. the nearest dealers are SPC or CW. I wonder if either would offer a discount if I asked nicely ... Not that I'm cheap, you understand. It's just that HG have, in general, a good reputation and decent prices. Perhaps it's simply that I aspire to BMW clothing. Or I could be a 'label queen'.

The last lot of BWM clothing I had I found cold and it let some water in around the waist. Admittedly that was ten or eleven years ago now. Before the Maxell gave out I did find it warm and most defianately dry. I think that the HG stuff is good quality, they just made a mistake when choosing the strength of the nylon thread on the maxwell and possibly got the mixture of kevlar and polyester wrong. All companies make a mistake every now and then, look at the 1200GS ;)

Back
Top Bottom