A Bit Of Fun/Investment/A Bevvy

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date
You could always have a bigger syndicate, put less money in per person but do casks on a regular basis.

If you get 300 bottles at cask strength, i.e. 25 dozen then using your original figures 25 of you could each put in £64 and get a case each. (Plus all the tax, bottling etc. already mentioned.)

That way you could have variety in your dramming society:)

The all new UKGreatSpiriters society:mmmm

Well worth considering for future but I'm inclined to go with the Dirty Dozen for a start off and see how we get on :beerjug:

That said, I'll see what the others think. I'm not really a Dictator :ronno

That said, I'll see what the others think. I'm not really a Dictator :ronno

Just following orders ?

:D

You could always have a bigger syndicate, put less money in per person but do casks on a regular basis.

If you get 300 bottles at cask strength, i.e. 25 dozen then using your original figures 25 of you could each put in £64 and get a case each. (Plus all the tax, bottling etc. already mentioned.)

That way you could have variety in your dramming society:)

The all new UKGreatSpiriters society:mmmm

I would maybe go with that :augie

My thoughts at present are to go with the original 12 investors and buy a cask aged 5 years as suggested by Packer. That way, we only have 5 years to wait on all that lovely whisky.

I'll liase wi' Wully tomorrow and then with Packer again so's we can decide which distilleries we can consider and then who we'll go with. If it goes well, there's nothing to stop further buys and increasing the "society" but in all honesty, I think 12 is a manageable amount of folk to work with.

There's a bit better selection noo :jager

I dont think I could wait 5 years....... but will be watching and hoping someone goes for one in the not too distant future......

Mmmm.. I'll be 50 in 5 years time :augie

My thoughts at present are to go with the original 12 investors and buy a cask aged 5 years as suggested by Packer. That way, we only have 5 years to wait on all that lovely whisky.

I'll liase wi' Wully tomorrow and then with Packer again so's we can decide which distilleries we can consider and then who we'll go with. If it goes well, there's nothing to stop further buys and increasing the "society" but in all honesty, I think 12 is a manageable amount of folk to work with.

There's a bit better selection noo :jager

sounds good to me. :thumb2

One of the distillery websites that I visited yesterday had a photograph of three casks maturing. This was to illustrate how you get your (the buyer) name stencilled on the front of the cask prior to it being stored in the bonded warehouse.

One cask had Ewan Macgregor/Trainspotting stencilled on it and the other two had HRH Prince William and HRH Prince Harry on them.

King Ewan and the twa(t) Princes? FFS that's enough to put any sane person aff buying a cask there!

Cannae find the distillery or pic noo :blast

Haven't read the whole post but the Arran you had at the christmas bash was a cask layed down in 2006 bottled 2008.
It cost £15.50 per bottle after tax, duty, bottling, label, insurance and delivery. I think there was 14 in the consortium each paying £100 intially after taxes each member getting 48 bottles total cost £744.

hope this helps Ronno and I can pass you onto the guy that sorted it

Haven't read the whole post but the Arran you had at the christmas bash was a cask layed down in 2006 bottled 2008.
It cost £15.50 per bottle after tax, duty, bottling, label and delivery. I think there was 14 in the consortium each paying £100 then the taxes.

hope this helps

What Arran? What Christmas bash?

:D

Thanks Dave :beerjug:

Wee Change Of Plan

Instead of waiting for 10 years on your return, how does this sound?

We can buy a cask of 1999 Cragganmore single malt whisky which should be ready to bottle as a 12 year old in about 2 years time. This would cost us to buy the cask now circa £1500. .

Two years from now (if we wanted it bottled as a 12 year old), we would have to pay a further (roughly) £4k which would be for all bottling, Duty and VAT.

In total, roughly this venture would cost about £5.5k. Divided between 12 of us, that would amount to about £450 each. Please note that the initial outlay is only around £150 each, being the cost of actually buying the Hogshead cask. You'd then have about two years to save up for the balance (about £300)

Our cask would (again roughly) yield between 25 and 26 cases of cask strength whisky. 12 x 70cl bottles per case. Therefore each syndicate member would get about 25 bottles of cask strength whisky for his/her money.

It works out about £18 per bottle of cask strength Cragganmore :D :D :D

Cragganmore is a Diageo single malt that they usually bottle at 12 years. It sells for about £30 at 43%. Our bottles would be around 58%. You might get an independent bottling at that strength but I'd guess that you'd pay between 40 and 50 quid for it. It's a top rated single malt.

I've spoken to Wully about this and we've agree to aim at buying a cask about the end of February/beginning of March so that gives syndicate members a chance to get Crimbo oot the way before parting with a hundred and fifty quid.

If anyone on the list doesn't fancy this now, please feel free to back out. I reckon it's a great deal but some might not fancy this particular whisky. The cask fill (make of whisky) isn't open to discussion now. Me and Whusky Wull have decided :beerjug:

It's still a definite 12 person syndicate. It's easier to control with that amount.

:ronno

2nd reserve in case any o' the auld yins dies

or back oot...:thumb

On a serious note:

the interested parties fae ootwith easy travelling distance of the bottling plant (west of Scotland)...have they thought aboot how they're going to collect or have delivered? 25 bottles of top quality malt whisky rattlin aboot in the back of Postman Pat's van disnae appeal to me...:eek:

Have they thought aboot how they're going to collect or have delivered? 25 bottles of top quality malt whisky rattlin aboot in the back of Postman Pat's van disnae appeal to me...:eek:

Sounds like a fine excuse to go and see my sisters. If anyone drops out and there's a space, count me in. :thumb

Instead of waiting for 10 years on your return, how does this sound?

We can buy a cask of 1999 Cragganmore single malt whisky which should be ready to bottle as a 12 year old in about 2 years time. This would cost us to buy the cask now circa £1500. .

Two years from now (if we wanted it bottled as a 12 year old), we would have to pay a further (roughly) £4k which would be for all bottling, Duty and VAT.

In total, roughly this venture would cost about £5.5k. Divided between 12 of us, that would amount to about £450 each. Please note that the initial outlay is only around £150 each, being the cost of actually buying the Hogshead cask. You'd then have about two years to save up for the balance (about £300)

Our cask would (again roughly) yield between 25 and 26 cases of cask strength whisky. 12 x 70cl bottles per case. Therefore each syndicate member would get about 25 bottles of cask strength whisky for his/her money.

It works out about £18 per bottle of cask strength Cragganmore :D :D :D

Cragganmore is a Diageo single malt that they usually bottle at 12 years. It sells for about £30 at 43%. Our bottles would be around 58%. You might get an independent bottling at that strength but I'd guess that you'd pay between 40 and 50 quid for it. It's a top rated single malt.

I've spoken to Wully about this and we've agree to aim at buying a cask about the end of February/beginning of March so that gives syndicate members a chance to get Crimbo oot the way before parting with a hundred and fifty quid.

If anyone on the list doesn't fancy this now, please feel free to back out. I reckon it's a great deal but some might not fancy this particular whisky. The cask fill (make of whisky) isn't open to discussion now. Me and Whusky Wull have decided :beerjug:

It's still a definite 12 person syndicate. It's easier to control with that amount.

:ronno

Definites for the new plan (as above) are in bold below

1. Ronno
2. Wully
3. Neil 23
4. Bhud
5. Nakambale
6. Gwigglesworth
7. Hebby
8. Northern Jock
9. Klanky
10. Fruitcake
11. AndyT
12. Proff

Reserve List

Melanie Cheeks
Cunning Fox
MMC

Can I get definite names asap? I'll get my boss to draw up a legal doc before we purchase so that each member knows what his commitment is (within reason) and what his or her obligation/rights are.

My thinking at this stage is that deposits are non refundable and if anyone wants to back out thereafter, it will be up to him to sell his share and recoup his deposit from the new member.

Back
Top Bottom