AUTOCOM v STARCOM

ive got starcom advance, had it for five years does the job spot on

cheers dave

Whops!

S***, i bought the Auotocom avi pro 300 just before Christmas and am begining to think that i have made a big mistake. I havent had time to use it yet due to the weather.:blast

Billski

"S***, i bought the Auotocom avi pro 300 just before Christmas and am begining to think that i have made a big mistake. I havent had time to use it yet due to the weather. "

Don't worry, just use it. I bought one of the first Autocoms back in 1993 and didn't change it till 2006 (for a Super Pro Avi) and am still a satisfied customer (who regrets their current predicament/demise).

It's a quality product.

tom

I've no experience of the Starcom system but I've been very pleased with my Autocom. I don't use it for anything other than chatting to Sandra but it's been a top bit of kit that I've had for about 5 years and close to 90,000 miles.

Dave

I obviously now don't have much choice in what to buy, but when there was the option of both systems... which was the best??

Well actually, you have plenty of choice, see the list of companies that Mike Werner of this Parish has compiled here.

I've had two Autocom systems and was quite happy with them but I wanted to go the wireless route so have now got one of these.

S***, i bought the Auotocom avi pro 300 just before Christmas and am begining to think that i have made a big mistake. I havent had time to use it yet due to the weather.:blast

As sanqhar say don't worry about it, that is the one I have and it is a great piece of kit, just fit it and enjoy it. If you have any problems with the install just ask on here and I'm sure you'll get some help (or PM me if no joy and I'll try and help). If your worried about warranty (should Autocom cease trading) I don't think there'll be a problem, I think I'm right in saying that it's the vendor that provides this (though I may be wrong :rolleyes: ).

Bob

My experience exactly.

Does the starcom have enough volume be used with ear plugs?

If so, I'll be placing an order.

with the factory settings it's actually too loud with ear plugs, we had to turn it down a bit and now it's perfect :)

CrashOverride - what all did you get with the Starcom1-Digital, where did you get it from and what was the cost please mate?
we got our starcom direct from tecstar and specified the full face headsets for use with in-ear headphones, as far as i can remember the only thing we added as an extras was the bulkhead fitting kit to allow us to fit the connectors as two sockets rather than as trailing leads, as far as price goes it was the full whack (not cheap) I did shop around but to be honest I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere and with hindsight it was money well spent. any other questions please feel free to ask

with the factory settings it's actually too loud with ear plugs, we had to turn it down a bit and now it's perfect :)

we got our starcom direct from tecstar and specified the full face headsets for use with in-ear headphones, as far as i can remember the only thing we added as an extras was the bulkhead fitting kit to allow us to fit the connectors as two sockets rather than as trailing leads, as far as price goes it was the full whack (not cheap) I did shop around but to be honest I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere and with hindsight it was money well spent. any other questions please feel free to ask

Thanks for the feedback!

Starcom is a whack - was quoted around 850 quid for the setup :blast including a small VHF radio for bike-2-bike comm.
Think I'll but the radio seperate & the starcom in UK :augie

Well actually, you have plenty of choice, see the list of companies that Mike Werner of this Parish has compiled here.

I've had two Autocom systems and was quite happy with them but I wanted to go the wireless route so have now got one of these.

How have you got on with BikerCom system? who you recommend it?

How have you got on with BikerCom system? who you recommend it?

So far, so good.

It takes a wee bit to set it all up depending on how many inputs you have, but once that's done, works a treat.

I've altered mine to accept in-ear custom moulded monitors.

They have a few links to various test done on the kit, worth reading.

just wonderd how everyone is doing now with thier systems , i am looking at the new 2010 Autocom PRO AUTO DUO or The Starcom 1 Digital ? Just wish i new which to use,
I want GPS Zumo 660 iPhone 4 Intercom and a two way radio bike to bike No fuss knobs turning tweaking all the time ! And a neat install. Will be using their headsets and just wish to jump on bike plug and go!!!

o YES bike new 2010 30th GSA 1200 twin Cam!!! Getting it Friday......++++++

What do you recomend anyone ????

Big D :)

just wonderd how everyone is doing now with thier systems , i am looking at the new 2010 Autocom PRO AUTO DUO or The Starcom 1 Digital ? Just wish i new which to use,
I want GPS Zumo 660 iPhone 4 Intercom and a two way radio bike to bike No fuss knobs turning tweaking all the time ! And a neat install. Will be using their headsets and just wish to jump on bike plug and go!!!

o YES bike new 2010 30th GSA 1200 twin Cam!!! Getting it Friday......++++++

What do you recomend anyone ????

Big D :)

I bought a Starcom 1 and have my iphone connected for phone and music via homemade hard wired lead.

Rode out with the wife and she said it was good quality audio and we had no problems communicating, the music cuts out while you speak which is great.

Installation was easy and all cables plenty long enough, made some additional straight through cables though so the curly leads could be used to go from headset to connector and not left on bike.

So far so good I guess.:aidan

Hi all
With the demise of Autocom the obvious next choice s a Starcom...now the question that will get all the village idiots quoting & posting..

I obviously now don't have much choice in what to buy, but when there was the option of both systems... which was the best??

Many thanks for the constructive replies

Autocom / Starcom Vs The World
Wow how many posts are there on intercom systems! Any new bikers to intercom systems could get very confused about what is best to buy! and to be fair want to spend their money wisely the first time round! Firstly their seems to be some confusion about Autocom and did they go bust? Well yes Autocom did go bust! It was subsequently purchased by TecStar Electronics ltd who are based in Cambridge and who also own Starcom! Tecstar are still supporting the older units and actively selling the 2009 onward units. I think people would agree that there have only ever been two serious choices for wired intercom systems and they have been Autocom and Starcom.
People have asked recently why Starcom and Autocom don’t try to compete head to head and I think the reason is that Tecstar would not gain much by trying to promote either one of its two IMHO excellent products in an attempt to say one is better than the other!
So the question is do I buy a Bluetooth unit or a wired unit? Starcom or Autocom?

Regards

Mick

I personally chose wired due to the battery issue of bluetooth for the following reasons:
1. if you go on a trip and are camping might not be able to charge these up
2. hardwired is cheeper if you watch out for deals on ebay or here
3. sometimes ride with pillion
4. can connect iphone and use for music also, cant stream music via bluetooth
5. I work in electronics installation industry so install was easy, though bluetooth is easier...maybe thats not a good reason..DOH!

Battery life and cost where main reasons I guess!

have only ever used starcom, was really recommended to me cos the fact i have the little kids on the back , and it picks up their voices well on the vox.

used one unit on the vtec and my rt, which was a starcom advance, now use a starcom digital, excellent bit of kit,

only ever problem i have had is with the headset leads to the bike, they are not as robust as a autocom lead, but they have been upgraded.

have sat nav, phone, ipod, bike to bike, and pillon, would never be without it.

had to get to stacom in st Ives once and had great service,

top team

Are you sure Autocom are no longer? My understanding is that Starcom acquired the product rights and still supply it? May well be wrong, but worth asking the question if you either need technical support on an autocom system or want to buy a new system.

Are you sure Autocom are no longer? My understanding is that Starcom acquired the product rights and still supply it? May well be wrong, but worth asking the question if you either need technical support on an autocom system or want to buy a new system.

Autocom are operating as normal :blast Techstar own Autocom now and Autocom continue to support the older products and still making the 2009 onwards systems! :eek: I fit systems for Autocom so can say without a shadow they are operating fine under Tecstar! Of cousre Tecstar also own Starcom so you wont see them up against each other anymore!:thumb
Mick

"Lots of promises from Autocom but never delivered on the promises. Never got any sense out of Autocom..."

In what way because it never happens to me all their promises have done.

I bought a Starcom 1 and have my iphone connected for phone and music via homemade hard wired lead.

How do you answer calls on the move please (as the iPhone does not have an auto-answer feature, unlike every other mobile phone)?

I also have mine hard-wired in via the lead supplied by Starcom.

Back
Top Bottom