AUTOCOM v STARCOM

I visited the Starcom stand at the NEC on Saturday.

Starcom have just released an upgraded bluetooth dongle that they claim forces the iPhone to auto answer. I also streams music from the iPhone so getting rid of the hard wiring. Needless to say I purchased one of the two units they had left and will report on it's ability.

I have used an Autocom for years now and it works perfectly, only the 200 unit, but music beyond 100mph, clear speech at around 150, you have to speak very loudly, but you can still communicate.

I bought my kit from Chainspeed and if you call them Sam knows these things inside out.

A mate has a Starcom and reckons beyond 80 it is useless, I think with these things you will always find happy and unhappy customers.

Headset fit is critical, I realised I would not do a decent job on mine and back then Autocom were quite close so I got them to fit headsets, I know Chainspeed also offer this service.

In the past I have seen several comparisons and all the ones I saw with both Autocom and Starcom had Autocom on top - must have been the shares that swung it though.

Anyway if you want something call Sam at Chainspeed, sometimes the dealer is as important as the kit itself, I am sure he will make sure you get the right kit and it works.

Stay with autocom. They are apparently still up and running after a few tweeks . They had a stand at the NEC last week and appeared to be business as usual. I asked at my local infinity store in Southampton and they say there is no problem with the company or getting parts.:aidan:aidan

Starcom-1 Digital.................. :thumb2

After using it for bike comms as well as Bike-2-bike with radio, I'm pleased as anything with it!

One thing I have against the Autocom is the massive lead plugs they use... why?

My new little invention............. :augie

No cutting my panels on the bike for the 12v socket, and unfortunately the Starcom Bulkhead mounts really suck...... so this jobbie does nicely. Have one on the other side of the bike that allows the music and phone leads to be connected when needed!

Attachments

• New 12v GSA panel2.JPG
    New 12v GSA panel2.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 262
Starcom-1 Digital.................. :thumb2

After using it for bike comms as well as Bike-2-bike with radio, I'm pleased as anything with it!

One thing I have against the Autocom is the massive lead plugs they use... why?

My new little invention............. :augie

No cutting my panels on the bike for the 12v socket, and unfortunately the Starcom Bulkhead mounts really suck...... so this jobbie does nicely. Have one on the other side of the bike that allows the music and phone leads to be connected when needed!

Love that panel, much better than having leads sticking out from under the seat:thumb

I've had a Starcom for 4 years and it's been superb. Had 2 problems with it and it has been fixed with no quible even when well out of warranty:thumb

My Starcom is 6 years old, now on it's third bike which are always parked outside. No problems so far and it works at above 80MPH!

I've had both; Auto com for many years on a previous bike and starcom on my current. To be honest, I don't think there's much in them. The male / female plugs and sockets started playing up on the autocom but I'm sure the leads would have been easily changed. Starcom has been faultless so far. :thumb

Personal experience.
Bought an autocom. fitted it and was totally useless, basically beathing/traffic/passing moth would trigger the Vox. Spent hours adjusting and couldn't fix it. Talked to Tippets Honda (who sold it me), they were very helpful. they agreed I'd done all the right things. got support from Autocom - no joy still vox triggered all the time.
Tippets exchanged it for another unit, but it was ust the same. talked to autocom support. no joy.
Tippets gave me money back.
Bought starcom. fitted it and still happily using it.

Can't understand why I had such problems as clearly most people don't, but I tried hard over several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom