AUTOCOM v STARCOM

Kremmen

Reaction score
Hi all
With the demise of Autocom the obvious next choice s a Starcom...now the question that will get all the village idiots quoting & posting..

I obviously now don't have much choice in what to buy, but when there was the option of both systems... which was the best??

Many thanks for the constructive replies

Hi all
With the demise of Autocom the obvious next choice s a Starcom...now the question that will get all the village idiots quoting & posting..

I obviously now don't have much choice in what to buy, but when there was the option of both systems... which was the best??

what about interride used them for years good help line if you have problems:blast

Hi all

I got Starcom and pleased with it. Lots of promises from Autocom but never delivered on the promises.

Never got any sense out of Autocom and one has to question the reports in the magazines because the reporter apparantly had a large stake in Autocom -so they were bound to win any comparisons.

because the reporter apparantly had a large stake in Autocom -so they were bound to win any comparisons.

and this statement is based on what evidence? :nenau

Bob

read my statement again and I said APPARANTLY not definately - if you feel so desired than check the share ownership on companies house.

The poster fails to mention that the last two RiDE magazine test were won by Autocom without any Starcom products appearing in the comparison.
When the poster say "apparently", it is incumbent on him to also answer the question why Starcom "apparently" would not allow their products up against Autocom.

With the demise of Autocom the obvious next choice is a Starcom...

Not necessarily. There are still plenty of Autocom units in stock around the place, so don't discount them out of hand. I know loads of people who use Autocom, and have never heard of a unit breaking.

I have an Autocom system which is bluetooth paired to my iPhone (phone calls and music), and hardwired to a motorola bike to bike radio. Sound quality is excellent, and people often don't realise I'm riding the bike when I'm talking to them on the phone.

And as alluded to in an earlier post, I've always been suspicious of companies who won't allow their products to be directly tested against the competition.

The poster fails to mention that the last two RiDE magazine test were won by Autocom without any Starcom products appearing in the comparison.
When the poster say "apparently", it is incumbent on him to also answer the question why Starcom "apparently" would not allow their products up against Autocom.

I have to agree..... is there any idea why??

I returned my brand new range topping SPA Autocom yesterday. Despite 2 units and the better part of a month try to make it work, I found it terrible.
Breathing would set off the vox and listening to an iPod was a trial as the volume bounced up and down.
10 out of 10 to Tippets honda for their helpfulness and for giving me a full refund. I've no idea why I had so many problems, when so many don't, but it didn't work for me.

So I have the same quesion. Starcom or interride?

I have had both, 2 different Autocom units in recent years and now a starcom digital. Personally I was disappointed with the autocom and despite the best efforts of autocoms tech support & dealer I could never get the performance that one might expect given the price. Their vox system was awful and caused music to cut in and out, volume was all over the place, you could set it and get it just right and would work at town speed but not high speed or vice versa. No matter how much fiddling you did with the knobs you could never get it to work, it was so bad on long trips that sometimes my wife and I used to just unplug it and ride in silence! . we tried everything to get it to work too, we got new helmets (shoei) new screen (MRA) and even swapped bike in the end (tho this wasnt due to the autocom!) we went from a sprint st to the 1200 gsa and when it still didnt work we sold it on ebay and thought stuff this we wont have an intercom. After a couple of weeks riding round without one we realised how much we missed the mindless banter and looked at starcom. Wanting to avoid the previous expensive problems with autocom we went for the top of the range starcom digital and waited for it to arrive. A few days later and it was with us and fitted to the bike in no time at all, fitting was easier as the unit was smaller and best of all it worked out of the box. The default settings were fantastic, no fiddling about required (bar adjusting the volume as we have in ear monitors) seamless comms from 10mph upto 100+ , we have our iphone and zumo connected up and everything just works. The volume auto adjusts depending on the background noise so everything is just as loud and just as clear whatever the speed. A huge range of accessories to tailor to every situation and their customer support is second to none, personally I cant reccomend them highly enough and short of the GSA I would say the starcom was the best biking money we've spent :thumb2 just my 2 bobs worth tho. Cheers and sorry it's so long but I hope it helps. James

My wife suggested Starcom after a lot of research and who was I to disagree :confused: Anyway 5 years later on still no issues all with the communications side, criticisms if any would be the plugs are quite small and the foam over the microphone on my helmet fell apart. Not exactly show stoppers.

.......I could never get the performance that one might expect given the price. Their vox system was awful and caused music to cut in and out, volume was all over the place, you could set it and get it just right and would work at town speed but not high speed or vice versa. No matter how much fiddling you did with the knobs you could never get it to work, it was so bad on long trips that sometimes my wife and I used to just unplug it and ride in silence! ....

My experience exactly.

Does the starcom have enough volume be used with ear plugs?

If so, I'll be placing an order.

..star starcom

I bought Starcom kit at the bike show after selling my old bike with Autocom still in it.

Easy to fit, works out of the box, excellent VOX, expandable (ipod, Zumo, bike to bike radio and pillion. The cables are a bit weedy compared to the Autocom but the box looks and feels better made that the old Autocom plastic one.

Was a bit concerned about making the change, but its very happy. Also I live in Huntingdon and they are based in St Ives - just round the corner!!

My experience exactly.

Does the starcom have enough volume be used with ear plugs?

If so, I'll be placing an order.
Ours does. We did a lot of the French side of a thrash down to Andorra one year at 100+ mph plus on motorways one year on an 1150 Adventure and babbled to each other all the way.

We used to listen to an MP3 player as well and the Starcom fades it out nicely when you speak. Gave up on Mp3 in the end as we prefer to talk and our 250 top tracks soon drove us to distraction after they had looped for the fourth time :rolleyes:

CrashOverride - what all did you get with the Starcom1-Digital, where did you get it from and what was the cost please mate?

I realise that others have had issues with Autocom, but I fitted my Super Pro AVI nearly two years ago, the first bike comms system I've ever had, and it worked perfectly straight out of the box, no adjustments necessary. I can hear all inputs from GPS, mobile phone and UHF radio perfectly well (wearing earplugs) and others can hear me, all at speeds well in excess of the UK speed limit.

Since fitting mine I have helped several others that have had problems which were, generally, down to how they were installed.

I've heard good things about Starcom too and it is one of the companies I was considering when buying mine.

Regarding the demise of Autocom; I thought they were still trading although the receivers have been called in. Isn't one of the aims of an official receiver to try and sell the company on as a going concern? If so it may not yet be all over for them.

Bob

Ive had both starcom and autocom... I dont think there's alot in it to be honest. But i have just bought a new starcom unit and it works, as expected perfectly with everything ive connected it to.

You dont need to spend the extra 100 quid on the digital one though.... the advance is perfectly capable on it's own.

Another vote for Starcom, I've got the Advance not the digital, just does what it says on the tin!

Comment on small plugs I'd agree with BUT if you insist Starcom will fit DIN plugs instead BUT these are not water resistant like the 'proper' Starcom kits.

My only 'issue' is that I have a Zumo for Phone, Sat-Nav and music, so it's obviously plugged into the phone port (I could also use Bluetooth but want the audio quality for music). This is fine until we use the radios, then the Starcom gives the Zumo preference as it does not know (or care) if I'm listening to Music on the phone or getting GPS instructions. The radio is audible, but under the volume of music it can he hard to hear, but for our use it's not a mega problem.

With the assistance of a forum member I'm also hoping to try an Intaride Evo2, but having had terrible problems thus far I cannot recommend them yet, but that might change VERY soon!:thumb2

Think you've only got the Starcom to choose from now.
Autocom went into administration on 23rd December :(

But you already know that ...........sorry, I should have read a few posts further back !

Back
Top Bottom