My DIY conversion to fit a Mitsubishi alternator to my 650 Ural

Tarka

Reaction score
I`ve got two Ural combos...a yr2000 650 'Roustabout' and a yr2004 750 'Dalesman'.

The 750 has the Nippon Denso alternator,which is an ND alternator in a factory made custom casing fitted with a cushdrive acting as an adaptor to mate with the Ural timing gear train.

The 650 has the infamous Russian 'Hand Grenade' alternator.
I`ve had three of these alternators fail in the last four years and am sick of it...when they fail they either are short term repairable only to pack up again within a month or so,or not repairable at all.
They`re cheaper than the ND but still not pocket money...and there`s no warranty on them,not here in UK at least.

In any case,over here,the ND and the 'Hand Grenade' are currently 'Unobtanium'.

So,when the 'Hand Grenade' failed yet again on my 650,I put my 'thinking cap' on and also consulted my friend and very capable work colleague Jamie.

If the ND alternator is a proprietry alternator fitted with an adapted cush drive linking up into a custom front case (have a close look at yours if you don`t believe me)...then why not do similar for my bike???

We checked out the Internet and looked on eBay....and found a dinky little Mitsubishi alternator.
It was cheap enough to use as a 'try it and see' so I bought one.
In fact,it was less than a quarter of the cost of an ND one and about half that of a 'Hand Grenade'.

Lo and behold,it just about fitted inside the front half of the now gutted 'Hand Grenade' casing!!
The through studs even virtually lined up with the stud holes in the casing!
Jamie milled out the area around the 'hand grenade stud' holes and I chamfered the inner face of the casing.

090618092254Medium.jpg

We cut some stainless steel threaded rod to length,and welded a nut at one end of each to make some new custom length through studs.
Then we measured up and made some hollow spacers to allow the Mitsubishi alternator to be fixed to the front casing of the 'Hand Grenade' shell.
Pic below shows the prepared casing and the spacers.

090618092244Medium.jpg

Then came the sheer genius of Jamie.
He spent a fair bit of time looking,thinking,measuring and note taking.
Then he got the lathe in action......and worked his magic.
Not very long later,a shiny object was placed in my sweaty palm.
A stainless steel stub shaft....
Looking from the left of the pic below,this masterpiece in metal had a female thread to accept the male thread on the Mitsubishi shaft (where the locknut goes to retain the original,and now not used,beltdrive pulley)..then a 'land' to accept a double row bearing that fits the bearing housing in the 'hand grenade' front case...then a turned down area to accept the original Ural alternator drive gear (with a keyway cut in to accept the original Woodruffe key)....then a male thread to accept the original Ural alternator lock nut,along with a through hole to accept a split pin,as per original.

090618092330Medium.jpg

Absolute...total...sheer genius!!!!

We`ve effectively designed and created a conversion kit.
Here`s the fruits of our labour in dismantled form.....

090618092424Medium.jpg

Here`s the bits with the Mitsubishi alternator...

090618092450Medium.jpg

Of course,the proof of any pudding is in the eating...

Did it fit my 650 ?

It went straight on,using the original fixings,but needed a wiring mod...just wanted a 'switched positive' so I spliced into the 650 ignition coil feed.
Then the airbox was about 10mm rearwards of its mounting,so I just dished the front of the airbox casing and then all the original brackets and intake hoses were useable.

Did it work ??

The charge lamp went out the moment the engine cranked over.
It doesn`t light at all when the engine is running.
With the 'hand grenade',the charge lamp would be on until about 20mph and occasionally flicker when running.

Does it charge ??

At tickover it`s producing 13.2 volts.
Once revved,from tickover onwards it produces 14.7 volts.

Result !!!

TOTAL SUCCESS !!!

THANK YOU,JAMIE !!!!

Here`s the masterpiece all assembled.....

090618091838Medium.jpg

now thats what i call engineering

What a splendid job, looks like a proper ural conversion,perhaps you need to tell the other ural owners, well done.
What was the alternator from?paul

Brilliant bit of engineering that, you do right to be proud of it!

Excellant workmanship:thumb2...now get a few kits made for the masses and make some extra dosh as well as helping other owners get over this problem!!:thumb2

And get to work on an airhead conversion !!;)

What a splendid job, looks like a proper ural conversion,perhaps you need to tell the other ural owners, well done.
What was the alternator from?paul

Thanks Paul...and the other guys. :thumb2

The Mitsubishi alternator is off a forklift truck. :D

Lovely job lads. :clap:clap

Did the mounting lugs on the Mitsubishi alternator line up alright on the bike, or did you have to make adjustments there too?

Lovely job lads. :clap:clap

Did the mounting lugs on the Mitsubishi alternator line up alright on the bike, or did you have to make adjustments there too?

Thanks Aidan. :beerjug:

The Mitsubishi mounting lugs aren`t required on the Ural as all the fixing and backlash is achieved via the front face of the front half of the 'Hand Grenade' casing.
It bolts directly to the top of the crankcase timing gear chest casting you see.
The drive is off the timing gears.

I was going to remove the Mitsubishi lugs,but by keeping them,it`s an unbutchered stock alternator which could go for straight exchange repairs if ever need be. :thumb2

That is a brilliant bit of design and engineerun, Steve. :thumb2

When I first had my '03 Ural, I called into F2 at Banbury on the way home with it from Nottingham. David, who had originally supplied the bike, adjusted the alternator to reduce the gear whine for me - and pointed out the bad reputation of the "hand grenade" one that was fitted.

Needless to say - I left there some £330 lighter, IIRC, with a brand new ND alternator in the backpack!!

My '05 Classic, which as I told you, is presently SORNed - still has the "grenade" one fitted to it, so I would deffo be up for a conversion kit for that one, if you both decided to produce a few kits !! :thumb

I guess that obtaining the identical model Mitsu alternator would ensure the conversion kit would fit "out of the box" - after any necessary machining had been done to the original face plate?

Dunno if you are on Soviet Steeds - but I'm sure your report would go down well there.

Hats off to you both - and thanks for sharing it with us other Ural nuts !!

Mike

My '05 Classic, which as I told you, is presently SORNed - still has the "grenade" one fitted to it, so I would deffo be up for a conversion kit for that one, if you both decided to produce a few kits !! :thumb

I guess that obtaining the identical model Mitsu alternator would ensure the conversion kit would fit "out of the box" - after any necessary machining had been done to the original face plate?

Cheers Mike. :thumb2

We are actually pondering making up a batch of stubshafts,spacers and studs...:augie
All that`s needed for the conversion is the front half of the 'Hand Grenade' and the drive gear.
Once the front half case is machined,the Mitsubishi alternator needs its pulley removing and its through studs removing,ready to use our longer studs to join the two components..

On a Ural fitted with a 'Hand Grenade' there`s the small wiring mod to do as well.
If replacing an ND alternator with the 'TarkaTech' :)blast ;) ) one,even the wiring plug is interchangeable.

Dunno if you are on Soviet Steeds - but I'm sure your report would go down well there.

Hats off to you both - and thanks for sharing it with us other Ural nuts !!

Nope,I don`t go on that site.....maybe I should post on there to freak them out,heh heh. :D

Thanks again mate!

The Mitsubishi alternator is off a forklift truck. :D

There's probably a chocolate factory fork lift driver looking at his broken down truck rubbing his head and wondering why his batteries gone flat :D

help save my ural

hi tarka we have thesame problem with the handgrenade as you have had wewant to try your conversion could tell us the model number of the alternator and where you got it also dimensions of parts youmade if u can help it would be great thanx alot

hi tarka we have thesame problem with the handgrenade as you have had wewant to try your conversion could tell us the model number of the alternator and where you got it also dimensions of parts youmade if u can help it would be great thanx alot

Unfortunately Tarka is having a break from this site - nearly a year now, so don't expect a response from him too soon:(

Cheers Mike. :thumb2

We are actually pondering making up a batch of stubshafts,spacers and studs...:augie
All that`s needed for the conversion is the front half of the 'Hand Grenade' and the drive gear.
Once the front half case is machined,the Mitsubishi alternator needs its pulley removing and its through studs removing,ready to use our longer studs to join the two components..

On a Ural fitted with a 'Hand Grenade' there`s the small wiring mod to do as well.
If replacing an ND alternator with the 'TarkaTech' :)blast ;) ) one,even the wiring plug is interchangeable.

Nope,I don`t go on that site.....maybe I should post on there to freak them out,heh heh. :D

Thanks again mate!

I guess this never happened, shame as mine has the Hand grenade fitted!:tears

I guess this never happened, shame as mine has the Hand grenade fitted!:tears

Nope,we didn't go into series production because there was a problem with the powerful Mitsubishi alternator field magnets causing chattering,Woodruff key failure and unwinding of the locknut.

I ended up fitting the earlier L424 alternator and separate solid state regulator from F2 Motorcycles....no probs after a couple of years regular use.

I strongly recommend binning your hand grenade while your casings are ok and doing likewise.

Back
Top Bottom