ground loop eliminators, are autocom ones better than others?

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm using my iphone as a satnav running tomtom software. It's hooked to my autocom and also powered off the bike electrics via a centach fuse panel.

I bought a cheap ground loop eliminator from ebay rather than buy the autocom one which seemed very expensive for what it was.

I find with the GLE I bought that it cuts the volume and the sound quality quite a lot and just wondered if anyone had found the same thing with the autocom version.

Also, does the autocom version plug in to the autocom or between the device and the autocom cable. The plug going into the autocom is 4 pin and the headphone end is 3 pin. Does it matter whether the GLI is plugged into the 3 pin end of the autocom cable or the 4 pin?

I bought THIS one and found no problems with it. I plug it between the zumo and the autocom to hear my mp3s. I noticed no difference in sound quality and level when using this compared to when I plugged my ipod directly into the autocom. BUt then again I'm only listening for music/noise versus something the hifi would produce... so maybe I'm not fussy enough!

I bought THIS one and found no problems with it. I plug it between the zumo and the autocom to hear my mp3s. I noticed no difference in sound quality and level when using this compared to when I plugged my ipod directly into the autocom. BUt then again I'm only listening for music/noise versus something the hifi would produce... so maybe I'm not fussy enough!

Yep, that's the one that I have too. Good to know yours works properly. Might try plugging it in at the other end and see if that makes any difference, though can't see that it should.

I have it plugged directly into the zumo..then plug the lead fron the autocom in the other side. It is a bit unsightly to be honest but hidden whilst the muffs are on. I had wanted to plug it into the autocom but I have that sitting inside the fuse box so there isn't enough space for anything else as this isolator would need the 90deg jack and not the straight one as it come with. I'll have a fiddle with it inthe spring when it's light outside as my garage has no lights as its not attached to the house.

Let me know if you notice any difference with the isolator plugged in at the other end.

Yep, that's the one that I have too. Good to know yours works properly. Might try plugging it in at the other end and see if that makes any difference, though can't see that it should.

Got one also, I have mine plugged directly into my Autocom (then it's hidden). I have no interference at all using it with my iPhone which is normally charging.

Casper

Back
Top Bottom