Synology NAS and PS3 streaming media?

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
I hope theres a boffin here who can help me.

I have a DS109j NAS and want to stream downloaded content on it to my PS3 (and the big telly).

I can see the NAS on the PS3 and browse to the files, but they all say "unsupported file format" when I try to open them even though they are AVI files. (Could this be a problem with CODECs? Transcoding required ??)

I have mapped the NAS drive to my PC and can browse and watch the media files on the PC no problem under Explorer/Windows Media Player 12.

I am currently upgrading the firmware on the NAS to the latest version and Re-Indexing media files in the hope it will sort it. Can anyone help?

I used to have this issue streaming media from the PC to the PS3 and I found it was the streaming program that caused the issue, when I loaded a movie to a flash drive and played the movie from this it worked okay on the PS3 but tried streaming the exact same file and the PS3 wouldn't recognise it.

I changed to PS3streaming program for the PC and it transcodes the files and it's been fine since,

check your PS3 is running the latest issue, I know that sorted some streaming issues, put one of the AVI files on a flash disk and try it directly in the PS3 if it works that'll let you know the issue lie's with the NAS

PS3 doesn't recognize all the divx codec variations (sadly this includes most of my Family Guy collection).

What software does the NAS use?

I have little/no issues with a QNap+Twonkymedia+PS3,

AVI does not specify a file type, just a fine container. An AVI file can contain a xvid, divx, motion jpeg, mpeg-4, mpeg-2, mpeg-1, etc. video. AVI is just a house for other types of videos.

I think you will have to convert your videos to a .mpg format :( PB

I had a similar problem and found the firewall on my PC was blocking it. As a test try disabling your firewall and see if it works then.

If there isn't a configurable firewall on the NAS you could try adding the files to windows Media Player on a PC (assuming you have a PC on the same network) and streaming tothe PS3 from there.

I can wirelessly stream the video files to my laptop and run them, so the NAS is fine and it is the PS3 and its wanky dedication to perfect DivX standards that is causing the problem.

Thanks for all the advice.

I can wirelessly stream the video files to my laptop and run them, so the NAS is fine and it is the PS3 and its wanky dedication to perfect DivX standards that is causing the problem.

Thanks for all the advice.
Have you tried http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

I had some MKVs that I wanted to stream to Xbox which the above software transcodes very well.

No idea if I can run PS3Media Server Linux directly on my NAS bit it may be possible.

I normally download files direct to the Synology NAS hard drive using the Synology Download Manager software with the PC shut down, I just drop browse to the torrent and let it do the rest.

I want to then stream the same files to my TV direct from the NAS via my wireless router without needing to run any PCs.

The hardware is able to do this, but the PS3 doesn't like what it sees unlike all the other wireless peripheral devices. Sony really should sort this issue.

The Synology Disk Station is absolutely superb btw.

http://www.synology.com/enu/index.php

Your always going to get this to be honest. None of the windows operating systems support DIVX or XVID natively so why expect a games console to. Course its a lot easier to install codecs on windows than it is a PS3.

Back
Top Bottom