Thunder's Road - Calum's Road 2010

19-1-10

Morocco - Rabat

785310446_aEKkP-L.jpg

An early start (took Mikey a week to get over getting up in the dark:D) found us battling the confusion and insanity of a bustling ferry port packed with wobbly boxes, over laden cars, lorries and some serious 4 wheel drive stuff. Still it was a gentle lead up to what was to come on the other side, but more of that later....................

786745315_HLAuM-L.jpg

786747074_rZxiR-L.jpg

786746030_6Njkv-L.jpg

Dawn came up, she was a nice girl, that's her in the middle of the picture! :D

786746277_cgKFC-L.jpg

We admired the ingenuity of the passenger who had a van packed on a lorry on the back of a bigger lorry, way to save on fares or what? :thumb

786747455_vhFnc-L.jpg

Once on board the bikes were eventually secured where space permitted.

786749981_33rs7-L.jpg

With the number of wobbly boxes on board space was limited

786749474_Y9Kho-L.jpg

and Gert had his bike squeezed in beside a lorry. Luckily his extra tyres provided some protection. :augie

786748469_ChggQ-L.jpg

Upstairs we started on the paperwork for immigration

786746508_S4n4h-L.jpg

786746708_jEmTf-L.jpg

786746900_FJDg4-L.jpg

before staring out at Africa

786748655_Eb8v3-L.jpg

posing for pictures at the back of the ferry,

786748805_pL8fV-L.jpg

786748966_8vBiE-L.jpg

786749153_M4y4k-L.jpg

while one of us tried to work out which way to hold their camera :blast

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg3MjE1NzUyJms9RXZtN0wmYT0xMTIxOTE4NF9QcFdmbyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg3MjE1NzUyJms9RXZtN0wmYT0xMTIxOTE4NF9QcFdmbyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Soon we could see Tangiers and headed down to disembark

786748233_Asdf6-L.jpg

Soon many of us would have our first experience of Moroccan immigration procedures first hand rather than just reading about it on here. Well it could'nt be that complicated could it?

TBC :thumb

Tangiers - Immigration

Well we had read it was chaos but nothing could prepare you for the experience of entering Morocco for the first time with your own vehicle, there must be a system but to this day I can't work out what it is. :nenau It was also our first experience of Africa time, adjust your attitude, relax and go with the flow.

Almost 5 hours later we had cleared the police checks, immigration (even though we had done it already on the ferry :blast), changed money and purchased insurance ready for the ride to Rabat. :bounce1

Not a lot of pictures of the event as the local authorities get pretty annoyed if they catch you snapping away in what they consider a secure area, but here's a few we managed.

786751152_932mW-L.jpg

We stood and waited for the recorded announcement "Cashier Number 1 please! " queuing like good UK residents do before it hit us things did'nt work that way anymore. :blast

787299882_Mwb5u-L.jpg

Sid's infatuation with Dave had taken a down turn, I personally think the pink lippy heart Dave insisted on retaining was the final straw.

786750912_nfuTo-L.jpg

2 hours later we were through the immigration terminal, unfortunately our passports and documentation were still inside, the officials had moved us as we were getting in the way and the locals were complaining about the smell of Mikey's kecks

786750689_GEhip-L.jpg

he was not amused!

Finally cleared we split into 2 groups to make the traffic easier to manage and headed off for Rabat. The brief was to meet at the Mauri Embassy to see if we could start the visa process that afternoon or if not all head off and find a hotel for the night and know where to go the following morning. Those with working GPS programmed in the co-ordinates for the embassy Sid had with him and off we went.

787300723_YfTJ8-L.jpg

787301557_sm4om-L.jpg

An hour down the road Gert, Dave, Mikey and myself called in to a petrol station with a little cafe attached for a bite to eat. We ordered the menu of the day and were treated to our first Moroccan salad starter followed by lamb and paprika sausages, chips, rice and more salad, all washed down with water and coke of your preference.

787301286_2Cp7D-L.jpg

787301079_ruy8m-L.jpg

787300927_4ztTP-L.jpg

20 minutes later we heard the familiar roar of a boxer engines and the others rod passed heading for Rabat. They'd stopped off for petrol and a coffee at a previous service station.

We finished out meal with coffees all round and headed off for Rabat and the Mauri Embassy, things were going well, we should have known our luck had to change. :blast

Heading into Rabat Dave took the lead following his GPS as beast he could owing to the crap base map heading teords the Embassy POI, next thing we knew Gert, Mike and I got boxed in at traffic lights going on to a roundabout, lost site of Dave and when we got clear of the lights found he had disappeared totally. :eek:

Gert took the lead (my GPS had fried with salt corrosion back in Spain hoping to pick up Daves trail as he had the same waypoint. Problem was the traffic was our first experience of driving in a built up area in Morroco and like the immigration area normal rules of conduct don't apply, basically he who gives an inch loses.

As we continued the hunt for the embassy it started to get dark making things even more confusing. Just when we thought we were nearly there we ran out of road, we kept circling for 30 minutes before deciding it was a waste of time and we should head back to the city centre and see if we could find the others.

Thus started one of the most mental rides we had ever experienced, pitch black, no idea where we were going and local scooters and mopeds cutting you up and waving. I stayed close to Mike with Gert playing tail gunner, Mike says all he could here at each junction was me swearing like a trooper. The next day we heard some kids yelling "f*ck away off" in a perfect Norn Iron accent, he may have been right. :rolleyes:

We pulled off on to a side street and finally got the phones to work. Got 2 messages, one from Dave saying he was OK and sending us his co-ordinates, the second form the other group saying they to had given up on the Embassy hunt but had managed to find a hotel. When we checked the co-ordinates we saw it was only a mile away so forwarded the details on to Dave and headed off.

787302110_sAk8c-L.jpg

Met up with Dave and the others at the hotel. Turned out the original waypoint we had been using was incorrect but he'd managed to find the embassy by charming the locals and found his way to it.

Turned out there was some sort of convention on in Rabat and this hotel was the third one that had been tried the others all being full.

We booked in and regrouped in the bar to discuss tactics. :jager

TBC

19-1-10 Rabat (continued)

787396808_3mqdK-L.jpg

We settled into the hotel, got the got the bikes parked up for the night and met up with 2 English bikers who both groups had met individually earlier also looking for a hotel. They were not looking for the Embassy as they did not intend traveling in Mauri but where experiencing the same insanity of Rabat traffic.

787395678_dTVVX-L.jpg

Feeling slightly intimidated by BMW's finest they elected to park in the scooter section of the hotel. :augie

Mike was approached by the hotel night porter who offered to keep an eye on the bikes overnight and ensure they were safe for 20 Dhirams (about £2) a bike. Given the fact we were on local 3rd party only insurance most of us thought this money well spent and I went out to sort things out. Initially I discussed half now, half in the morning but on reflection paid the entire "fee".

Security sorted, gear dumped Dave, Get Mikey and myself headed off to find an Irish Bar that Glen had seen close by. :beer:

Now personally I hate Irish Bars unless they are in Ireland but make a point of visiting them when abroad just to see what people view as being Irish and a bar, this one based in a 5 star hotel in the city centre was the worst ever, it's idea of Irishness were water colour pictures on the green walls and that was it! :(

We started a kitty deciding to have a drink before we left and placed an order for 3 beers and the usual Smirnoff and diet. Beers arrived first (bottled poured in glasses) and the Smurf last with the bill and the beers have finished. It worked out at £34 for the round!!! :eek:

At this point the rest of the group arrived, we mentioned the cost and suggested this we not the bar they were looking for, they headed off to find alternative refreshment and somewhere to eat, we stayed to finish our drinks and cried in the beer! :tears

Refreshment over we headed off to find somewhere to eat and after traipsing the streets came upon an eatery packed with locals (which is always a good sign).

787397380_um3Bz-L.jpg

When we saw the illuminated sign we knew it was for us!

787397883_fSZHS-L.jpg

"Coq Magic" just the job! :D

After a decent salad starter we elected to try the mutton cooled on a spit just inside the door, it was great and came with frites :bounce1

787303181_jyS5y-L.jpg

Appetite sated we returned to the hotel and hit our beds, this adventuring is tiring business ya know :D

20-1-10

Rabat -Visa time!

Waking early I headed down to check on the bikes and see if our investment in the night porter had paid dividends. It had, I found him wrapped in an over coat, sitting watching the bikes true to his word. :thumb

He'd even blocked them in with a couple of the hotel's cars for additional security. :bow

787425818_XhQkg-L.jpg

Even the 2 English guys bikes had been watched although they had refused payment until they inspected them in the morning.

787426367_Ye6CQ-L.jpg

Bikes checked, breakfast eaten we headed off in true adventure style for the Mauri embassy to apply for our visas

787424770_Zc4Ux-L.jpg

we took taxis! :D

Outside the embassy we found loads of people waiting and filling in application forms, all types, including an Asian couple who were walking through Africa with all their possessions on a Mac Laren buggy. No baby, but they did have a guitar on board! :eek:

787424999_iCp6W-L.jpg

At this point we regretted having the taxis drop us at the door! :toungincheek

Sid managed to track down some forms so we adjourned to a nearby flat bed pick up, used it as a desk,( Mikey thought it gave off an appropriate image of adventure :D) and headed back to be at the door of the visa section ready for the next time it opened to let applicants in.

787457392_uNHh2-L.jpg

787457948_xYBuW-L.jpg

Sid's infatuation for Dave was definitely over which did not seem to bother Dave

787458185_hf6pm-L.jpg

even if he was now infatuated with Gert :D

Once inside the door we had our first experience of African government officials and found out very quickly that they don't have a sense of humour and don't like to be kept waiting.

With the cancellation of the visa at the Mauri border they now no longer offered a 3 day visa, you got a 10 day one no matter what box you ticked on the form at a cost of 340 Dirham.

Luckily I had a photocopy of my passport with me as he wanted that with my 2 passport photos but most of my currency was in Euros which he would not accept. :blast

As we did a quick calculation of who needed Dirham ( I was a 100 short) the official began clicking his fingers and telling me to hurry up or he would tear up my paperwork. Luckily between us we had enough for everybody so money paid I eft the building and headed to an ATM with Sid discussing the situation as we went. Next thing we know the officials out the door telling us to stop loitering and get off the premises! Made me feel homesick that did! :D

Applications submitted we headed back to the hotel to meet Andres and head off to do some site seeing before returning to the Embassy at 3 to hopefully collect our visas.

With time on our hands and the hotel bar closed some of went off for a walk and ended up at the tomb of Mohammad the fifth which had ceremonial guards on horseback at the gates, a bit like the guards at Buckingham palace but with sand to catch the droppings.

787434682_KZZWC-L.jpg

787435627_ybsoR-L.jpg

Pretty impressive building but we didn't go inside as it meant taking your shoes off and we couldn't work out the protocol for a person with a false leg. :D

Instead we admired the site

787434888_aNujp-L.jpg

787431351_L6ZTx-L.jpg

787429346_4JZJb-L.jpg

787430527_3nYWN-L.jpg

and practiced our adventurers poses :augie

787429599_BnMP6-L.jpg

before heading back to the embassy to see if we had been issued with visas.

787487393_rC7PM-L.jpg

We had! :bounce1

So in true adventurer style, went back to the hotel to prepare to celbrate the event! :jager

20-1-10 - Rabat - evening

All of us who were intending to ride all the way to Gambia now had visas, unfortunately Sid had the same as the rest of us, a 10 day single entry visa rather than a longer multi entry one he needed for his return trip. :blast

We headed for the local market for a browse and to find somewhere to eat.

787431921_YQvWL-L.jpg

787431668_sV5Bb-L.jpg

787432165_6huKe-L.jpg

787436256_wfRDF-L.jpg

I bought some nougat which was magic! :D

787432422_S44UY-L.jpg

Glenn bought some dried fruit which was not :(

787436490_aR5YR-L.jpg

Glenn had already demonstrated a natural instinct for finding decent places to eat and as we walked through the markets his "spidey" senses started tingling in front of a dark stairway which you'd easily just walk past.

787433684_KVfT7-L.jpg

787432787_s6STS-L.jpg

787432569_9cAKV-L.jpg

Fantastic place, superb food, great atmosphere, attentive service and a fantastic view of the area from the rickety wooden balcony right beside our table.

787432971_Xschp-L.jpg

787433380_duvXQ-L.jpg

Some of us had a tajine

787434217_ibws7-L.jpg

which I renamed tangine in memory of Tangine Mc Queen, an old girlfriend with a pointy head, Sid did'nt understand and insisted on correcting us. :D

Mikey and myself went into giggle mode, spent the entire time giggling and laughing uncontrollably. I blamed the magic nougat combined with an allegedly purloined supply of Dave's up market malaria medication :drool

Glenn was looking flushed

787433973_fpodz-L.jpg

which was an indication of things to come..............

Meal over we returned to the hotel for a night cap, 5 minutes after we sat down Dave's phone rang. It was Andres ringing from his room. He'd broken his leg! :eek:

Now in this case it was his prosthetic leg but still an issue which would have to be dealt with the next day.

Superb Report......

I don't want to appear Ignorant of all things Airhead and I know I'll be derided for years to come for not knowing about Weird Dakar bling bits BUT.....

Isn't that an old FJ1100 fairing on the 80 Roger ?:hide

Superb Report......

I don't want to appear Ignorant of all things Airhead and I know I'll be derided for years to come for not knowing about Weird Dakar bling bits BUT.....

Isn't that an old FJ1100 fairing on the 80 Roger ?:hide

FJ1200 actually, but well spotted that man :thumb

You can read all about it over on the Gambia on an Airhead thread, was a very special bike built in the early 90's by an enthusiast now deceased, I retained the fairing for the trip as that's how he had designed it. :rob

471801467_JkYvD-L-1.jpg

21-1-2010

Marrakech

785310529_zcDtj-X3.jpg

The day started with some issues which had to be sorted. Andres had a broken prosthetic which needed fixed, Sid had the wrong visa for Mauritania and Glenn was suffering from the healthy dried fruit he'd purchased the night before and had spent a restless night between his bed and the bathroom sitting on the toilet. :eek:

Sid was going to return to the Mauri embassy to sort out his visa, John was going to go with Andres to find someone who could rivet the broken leg while Glenn would join Gert, Mikey Dave and myself to ride down to Marrakech and find accommodation for the night.

Plans in hand we set off on our respective journeys but not before Glenn threw up twice outside the hotel. What made things worse was he did not give us any warning so no one had a camera ready. :blast :D

The five of us set off for our first ride away from the dreaded but essential motorways we had been forced to use so far.

787976366_mSExm-L.jpg

787976585_D8NBB-L.jpg

787977181_fKJtG-L.jpg

Once clear of the city we started to enjoy ourselves

787977395_oZYRB-L.jpg

787977284_D3spM-L.jpg

787976953_tukEq-L.jpg

<object width="425" height="318" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg3OTcxNzYxJms9VGNTWTcmYT0xMTIzNTI0Ml9lcmZjWiZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg3OTcxNzYxJms9VGNTWTcmYT0xMTIzNTI0Ml9lcmZjWiZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

and of course there was the scenery..................

787970546_ovHNk-L.jpg

787973042_MAiR7-L.jpg

787972898_TaAhs-L.jpg

787970912_j4h9y-L.jpg

787970639_zh7p9-L.jpg

Glenn was still feeling the effects of the dried fruit but never let it show, what a trooper :thumb

787970299_a3qex-L.jpg

Heading down through the mountains we stopped to stretch our legs.

787972361_zUJDw-L.jpg

Dave had an idea

787973168_nx53k-L.jpg

and headed off to try his new tyres

787972454_yZ8YH-L.jpg

787972529_w874W-L.jpg

We let him get on with it before heading on to the outskirts of our destination but had another stop for some drinks at a road side shop.

787972112_eshZp-L.jpg

787972038_TBJaW-L.jpg

before the final hop to Marrakech

787977855_WmkUG-L.jpg

where we found an Ibis hotel with secure parking, booked in and sent a text to the others telling them where we had ended up.

We adjourned to the bar to await their arrival. :jager

Tonight we'd explore the market place. :thumb

TBC

Roger you missed one of the classic moments!!!!

We took a wrong turning about 60km for Marrekesh.

Looking at the map there was a single track road. Gert and I decided it was a good idea.

Off we went.
To be honest it wasn't too bad - that is when there was no other traffic on the road.

At times passing became very interesting with the use of the verges and the tiny amount of dirt at the side of the road.

On one occassion many "fecks" were heard as Thunder skittered off the side of the road narrowly missing a ditch he was forced to take this action as a large truck was bearing down on him, they passed each other with the truck driver giving Roger a pleasant smiled and continued on, how polite the Moroc people are.

All good character building stuff for later in the trip :augie

We took a wrong turning about 60km for Marrekesh.

Looking at the map there was a single track road. Gert and I decided it was a good idea.

Off we went.
To be honest it wasn't too bad - that is when there was no other traffic on the road.

At times passing became very interesting with the use of the verges and the tiny amount of dirt at the side of the road.

On one occassion many "fecks" were heard as Thunder skittered off the side of the road narrowly missing a ditch he was forced to take this action as a large truck was bearing down on him, they passed each other with the truck driver giving Roger a pleasant smiled and continued on, how polite the Moroc people are.

All good character building stuff for later in the trip :augie

Feck I forgot about that. :blast Well blocked it out more likely. :D

Was actually one of those days that scared you shitless yet had you whooping like a lunatic after a while. :bounce1

Bike's were doing a fine job, back ends all over the place, sun in your eyes and dirt in your face. :D

Marrakech by night.

Andres and John arrived on four wheels and four legs. :bounce1 Thanks to a friendly hotel porter and a local saddle maker they got the repairs completed successfully. Sid also arrived with his correct visa so in true adventure spirit we headed off to the square in Marrakech by getting 2 taxis!

787991361_GFNNo-L.jpg

Even off season it was a tourist haven.

787991529_WZ6Mj-L.jpg

787991771_EQS94-L.jpg

787992128_FZVxN-L.jpg

787995257_iW9s6-L.jpg

We wandered around soaking up the atmosphere with the smell of adventure in our nostrils.

51ITwAuiMGL._SS500_.jpg

Bhud's bottle had broken in his saddle bag on the way down, it was not pleasant, even the locals were complaining! :D

We selected one of the out door restaurants in the square and perused the menu

787992557_ZN6bD-L.jpg

between the smell of Davidoff and excessive flatulence Dave was not having a good day

787992817_XdyH7-L.jpg

Food selected we tucked in to the evening meal

787993026_bkg8A-L.jpg

listened carefully while the owner explained the billing system

787996006_rCZMm-L.jpg

and posed for a picture while he realised he could finally afford that new Mercedes and his wife thought of how many pairs of shoes she could buy now we'd settled the bill!

787995623_vKYDE-L.jpg

We went for a dander and found her shoe supplier had heard we were coming :augie

787993961_b8Ner-L.jpg

exploring the stalls Glenn was heading for a purveyor of dried fruit, but we dragged him away explaining it was his for his own good and oranges were not the only fruit!

787996368_5fPzM-L.jpg

We decided to do something traditional so went to a local barbers :D

787993661_ZMQ99-L.jpg

Andres had a shave while we discussed the sad state of local football with the owners son.

787996670_yurwK-L.jpg

Sid had a trim while Andres fell asleep in the barbers chair.

787996999_6xUmk-L.jpg

Gert had a close shave

787994586_8KK7f-L.jpg

and Dave and I went for the full monty! :eek:

787994359_GXjwE-L.jpg

787997316_GoNpE-L.jpg

787994136_m8K8E-L.jpg

much to Mikey's amusement

787997852_Q9BLB-L.jpg

All sorted we split into 2 groups, those ready for the hotel and those in search of sticky buns, I'll leave you to guess who was in what group but to give you a clue I was with Dave. :augie

Another day, another doughnut :D

22-1-10

Tiznit

785310627_wG3Xq-X3.jpg

Another dawn, another day up and breakfasted we broke in to 2 groups to continue the journey south, Gert, Mikey Gert and myself headed off on the more direct yet supposedly boring route to see where we ended up.

788095477_QDitd-L.jpg

788113025_C5Rat-L.jpg

788113401_8rhAW-L.jpg

As usual we stopped off to admire the scenery

787501905_3s8Zc-XL.jpg

788114781_gw5vQ-L.jpg

788120109_xgUQe-L.jpg

Mike was relieved to find a sheltering bush

788226482_yhcxX-L.jpg

while another of the party was relieved to find Dave's sheltering bike, and even more relieved that Dave was elsewhere topping up his tan. :augie

788226007_JqgQD-L.jpg

which was essential after the head shaving the previous evening :D

788120527_JztmE-L.jpg

further up the road we stopped for our morning break,

788096250_MiA2m-L.jpg

coke and choccy biccies, the break of adventurers. :drool

788095999_JQZKg-L.jpg

The mountain roads beckoned

788100064_wK6HZ-L.jpg

788099485_Q6pN9-L.jpg

788100619_Z34jB-L.jpg

788105469_DEN6F-L.jpg

788107271_hLWEN-L.jpg

At the next petrol station we stopped to top up our tanks and grab a bite to eat. I forgot we were in an Islamic country and made the mistake of asking for a ham and cheese omelette :blast

What we got though was one of the best (and cheapest) meals of the trip so far, local omelette with onions and tomatoes in olive oil, 2 fried eggs on top with fresh crusty bread. Fantastic! :drool

788227298_sYkGB-L.jpg

788227682_gb7NE-L.jpg

As we approached did some research for potential accommodation. Talking to one of the locals in a shop he was told the Hotel Izou was good and worth staying at.

788121750_kJd4i-L.jpg

Dave spent the time perfecting his adventure pose.

788122025_S3CUc-L.jpg

The hotel was right in the middle of the town right on the main road, modern, clean and very reasonably priced.

788117441_LrbYu-L.jpg

Staff could'nt have been more helpful, taking our bags to our rooms, storing helmets in the porters office and clearing space in an underground storage are so we could park the bikes securely over night. :thumb

Only thing was it was another bloody four star!!! :D

788118652_Ywg5u-L.jpg

788116912_NXcGH-L.jpg

788115947_wYSxM-L.jpg

Dave was pleased with the extra soft quilted toilet roll in the rooms. :augie

788115739_AxzSP-L.jpg

788116411_h6fDh-L.jpg

We heard from the others that they had stopped in Agidir so adjourned to the bar for some pre-dinner drinks. 3 hours later we had dinner in a little cafe across the road from the hotel before heading for our rooms for a reasonably early night.

23-1-2010

Laayoune

785310680_giQTP-X3.jpg

We decided to make an early start after breakfast and a sound nights sleep so were on the road just as the sun came up.

788849662_CHx3U-L.jpg

788849791_2fN4s-L.jpg

As we left the town we started climbing again on some cracking roads

788849367_Sizac-L.jpg

788849580_UCV4u-L.jpg

788849863_As2ox-L.jpg

788849956_T5s6x-L.jpg

788853256_6noxM-L.jpg

and soon dropped down on to a plain where we stopped for our by now obligatory photo stop.

788852902_d4PdU-L.jpg

788850279_Cj8hf-XL.jpg

On the road again we settled down to a gentle bimble and rode on tarmac through fairly barren landscape with the odd town thrown in. It was pretty uninteresting as at no point did we stop for photographs.

788853376_kwL8j-L.jpg

Then just before 2 in the afternoon we crossed a causeway

788862851_AEt7L-L.jpg

and we were stopping all over the place! :D

788854358_fdfSw-XL.jpg

788864899_sg68t-L.jpg

788864538_mtwq5-L.jpg

788864733_eR8hz-L.jpg

788855270_8DgEm-L.jpg

788853659_2bESM-L.jpg

sometimes in the wrong place..............

788856096_LrLer-L.jpg

but soon sorted. :D

788856204_XAXjq-L.jpg

788855860_fH9v9-L.jpg

The scenery just got better

788857270_hBR8J-XL.jpg

with so many contrasts in the colour of the sand which Gert explained to us was down to oxidisation and age. As his fische said he was a mechanic his encyclopedic knowledge of geology just continued to amaze us! :augie

Yet another stop overlooking the sea found us enjoying yet another view,

788865315_farGQ-L.jpg

788865215_nqxDM-L.jpg

788856694_VLVFG-L.jpg

when out of nowhere a local fisherman appeared for a chat, he lived on the beach in a tent, had heard the bikes arriving and came up to see what was going on.

788856694_VLVFG-L.jpg

Gert chatted happily

788856880_CpWuz-L.jpg

Mike practiced his adventure pose

788856970_NmTbf-L.jpg

and Dave answered a call on his experimental sunglasses phone :augie

788857104_f8mFo-L.jpg

The future may be bright, but it ain't orange! :D

We continued on and soon arrived in Laayonne a town filled with members of the UN, accommodation was limited but on speaking to a local policeman were directed to a little 2 star hotel on the main road into the town.

788858333_Pbigm-L.jpg

We booked in and were joined later by the others who had seen the bikes parked outside, Andres had as planned headed back to play in Morocco before heading home. So now we were seven.

24-1-10

789136579_iWRTf-S.jpg

785310760_JD6J8-X3.jpg

After a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast in the cafe attached to the hotel we packed the bikes and headed off for what would potentially be our last night in Western Sahara.

789717094_L76yU-L.jpg

Shortly after leaving the town we pulled in for some pictures, Dave was determined to see a camel toe at close quarters.

789710813_gZZA6-L.jpg

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTM5NjMxJms9Q0V1dFEmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTM5NjMxJms9Q0V1dFEmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

789715447_GSkNQ-L.jpg

789116454_bX8Mp-L.jpg

while Gert got creative with his helmet

789116957_W87Zj-L.jpg

On the road again Gert, Mike , Dave and myself continued through the next town while the others called in for fuel and coffee. We didn't get that far though as we found yet another photo opportunity. :blast

789719454_HnUkk-XL.jpg

789117431_aWWBN-L.jpg

789124703_2aQtJ-L.jpg

789122396_bDDfn-L.jpg

789123013_jrEVV-L.jpg

Mikey topped up his tan

789122121_qYyMo-L.jpg

Glen and John stopped to admire the view

789120163_KXyfX-L.jpg

and show us how effective John's crash bars were :D

789143905_oHaxr-L.jpg

789705015_TMCUP-L.jpg

789144813_CmVmT-L.jpg

Life was indeed a beach!

789121378_Rt6fT-L.jpg

But the road beckoned

789128466_jgGPW-L.jpg

789119671_hvC9i-L.jpg

At our next fuel stop we got chatting to guy from Wales who lived in Dahkla and was a regular traveler in Mauritania. He gave us lots of up to date information on the situation.

789125018_MqS7k-L.jpg

The Dahkla peninsula approached

789147342_C46ZV-L.jpg

789146242_5Xi4M-L.jpg

we stopped again :augie

789150112_29Bcw-L.jpg

789148444_6fceU-L.jpg

<object width="425" height="318" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5NzA4NTE2Jms9MmNqVnkmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5NzA4NTE2Jms9MmNqVnkmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Dave went to check the condition of the sand on the left

789150550_PxRPj-L.jpg

Glen was on the right

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTUxOTY2Jms9dWNDTncmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTUxOTY2Jms9dWNDTncmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Dave headed off on his bike followed by Gert, Mike and John

789129160_nJ76C-L.jpg

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTU0MDY4Jms9NmlMVTUmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5MTU0MDY4Jms9NmlMVTUmYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

789149265_WgDwk-L.jpg

789155207_jSNDz-L.jpg

well for a while at least :augie

789154875_FxGkB-L.jpg

789155061_FfFpX-L.jpg

789137732_c5PtS-L.jpg

789138321_GAgMS-L.jpg

789131221_JpvRb-L.jpg

789137394_aESkq-L.jpg

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5NzQ4MTQ4Jms9N0Z1VTImYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5NzQ4MTQ4Jms9N0Z1VTImYT0xMTI1MDM3OF9hc3MzRyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Glen was also having problems and had dropped his bike in the sand. :blast

Cold beer and a shower was now the order of the day so we headed into Dahkla to find a hotel.

789155846_j5G9W-L.jpg

As the sun set tans were topped up

789156432_24PwJ-L.jpg

and we settled in for the night to discuss Mauri. Would we wouldn't we? Well you know the answer, but at that point we didn't!

Thunder,

Was the chap you bumped into in Dakla called Colin? If so I met him on my trip through. Had a lot of info on crossing into Mauritania.

Thunder,

Was the chap you bumped into in Dakla called Colin? If so I met him on my trip through. Had a lot of info on crossing into Mauritania.

Yes his name is Colin, he passed on a heap of useful information particularly on the crossing of the minefield

The sand is deep in the middle: for any future passage planners - stick to the edge!!!! You will find it alot easier!

25-1-10

Goodbye Western Sahara

785310839_iepNS-X3.jpg

Sun was up and so were we, breakfast over bikes being packed and Mikey was doing a bit of tidying up after those involved had taken the opportunity to remove great chunks of the Sahara which had become lodged on the bikes after yesterday afternoons little excursion, :augie

789784842_BSTFP-L.jpg

789784979_rVbBg-L.jpg

789785115_TVTNq-L.jpg

On the way back to the main road south (well only road south actually) we admired the scenery and the wobbly box village out on the peninsula.

789785692_6pSrj-L.jpg

789785572_EYz6e-L.jpg

789987501_MAdq4-L.jpg

789987253_75xtu-L.jpg

We called in at a garage so those who needed to could top up their tanks, we'd learned to top up when we got the chance as some garages only stocked diesel and it was common to arrive and find that the petrol was sold out. :eek:

789785949_zSUxe-L.jpg

789786165_pFrea-L.jpg

It was still windy.

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5Nzg3Mjc5Jms9TXZ2TEYmYT0xMTI1ODYxNV8yamF6VyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" /><embed src="http://cdn.www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9Nzg5Nzg3Mjc5Jms9TXZ2TEYmYT0xMTI1ODYxNV8yamF6VyZ1PVRodW5kZXJnb2Q=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Gert continued to remove compacted and now solidified sahara from his bike

789787633_W2o7s-L.jpg

789787480_pJvXK-L.jpg

A land rover with a camel in the back arrived

789787963_LFjkq-L.jpg

Dave was well pleased, he got the picture he'd been looking for. :bounce1

789788049_THRxJ-L.jpg

Heading off on the final leg of the trip to the border the winds increased and we ended up riding through shifting sand which at times totally obscured the road. John managed to get some pictures holding his camera in his left hand as he rode. :clap

789788220_ig9Cj-L.jpg

789788517_Zx2wQ-L.jpg

789788432_sFadk-L.jpg

789788290_fdKwy-L.jpg

789788367_4DfhF-L.jpg

789788745_AEuTo-L.jpg

We arrived at the border in the early afternoon and began processing the paper work to exit the country. Soon we were sitting at the final checkpoint ready to enter no mans land. Photography was forbidden but we managed to sneak a picture just as we were about to leave. :augie

789788808_bcSM2-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom