BMW Road Training worth the travel and expense?

Hey all

I'm currently riding an F800S, but the only thing stopping me switching to a 1200GS is the thoughts of having trouble with low speed handing (30" inside leg!). So, I thought I'd book 2 or 3 days training, 1 just to build up low speed confidence and then do a little road training.

World of BMW looks great, and I could also hire a GS for one of the days to get some experience, but I'm 5 hours from Wales. To do 3 days of training I'd need 3 or 4 nights of accommodation on top. It's got to the point now that the wife has turned it into a holiday in Wales, with the kid, the dog and the kitchen sink! Also, the whole family going means it has to be in half-term, and then the accommodation costs more...

So I was just wondering, is the BMW training worth it, or am I going to be better off doing a few days more locally (Herts/Beds) and just leaving Wales for the inevitable off-roading days further down the line? It's turning into quite a faff for 3 days training, but I'll go through it if the training is the best in the country.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

As a couple have others have mentioned - why not try the off-road skills course? On the Level 1 it is very much focused on low speed control - being on the dirt, it doesn't hurt so much when you fall and you get more oppotunities to experience the bike sliding which massively increases your confidence should the bike ever slide on the road.

Also as others have said - I really couldn't imagine doing two days of practicing slow bike control, but I would happily go back and do another 2 days of off-road skills.

Finally - in terms of general teaching ability for road skills, I did my Direct Access with BMW and I thought they were extremely professional and take you on some of the best roads.

There's 3 levels to RoSPA. If it was a 100% RoSPA Gold pass rate it would be impressive...

Hi Slowdown,

As GlobeBusters and BMW Rider Training is run out of the same office I can answer that for you. No its not 100% gold!

In 4 years of RoSPA tests only 1 fail and we are running at 50% Gold pass rate. :clap

Rich

In 4 years of RoSPA tests only 1 fail and we are running at 50% Gold pass rate. :clap
Rich
having trained many for the RoSPA test, i can appreciate the work that goes into the test prep.
that is impressive. :clap :thumb2

Hey all

I'm currently riding an F800S, but the only thing stopping me switching to a 1200GS is the thoughts of having trouble with low speed handing (30" inside leg!). So, I thought I'd book 2 or 3 days training, 1 just to build up low speed confidence and then do a little road training.

World of BMW looks great, and I could also hire a GS for one of the days to get some experience, but I'm 5 hours from Wales. To do 3 days of training I'd need 3 or 4 nights of accommodation on top. It's got to the point now that the wife has turned it into a holiday in Wales, with the kid, the dog and the kitchen sink! Also, the whole family going means it has to be in half-term, and then the accommodation costs more...

So I was just wondering, is the BMW training worth it, or am I going to be better off doing a few days more locally (Herts/Beds) and just leaving Wales for the inevitable off-roading days further down the line? It's turning into quite a faff for 3 days training, but I'll go through it if the training is the best in the country.

FYI - BMW Rider Training are running an early season 25% discount for IPT training booked and taken before the end of March and have a brand new fleet of 10 plate bikes including an updated R1200GS. Oh and the Chief Instructor has got a 29 inside leg so can definitely help you get to grips with a 1200! Hope that helps?

I would recommend i2i training here in Yorkshire

People say that they are......................very,very good

Prices offer VFM too:thumb

i2i Training are excellent, not just very good, enrol on the first level course called MC1 and you'll be glad you did. At £75 it is a steal really.

john1215

I would recommend i2i training here in Yorkshire

People say that they are......................very,very good

Prices offer VFM too:thumb

From everything I read on here about them I have booked my girlfriend and I onto their MC2 off-road day next month. I've not ridden offroad but have 25 years of road riding behind me. My girlfriend is a brand new, just passed cbt rider with a 125cc. Tom's advice was great in deciding which course to start on and the fact that he not only welcomed but highly encouraged a new rider to take their courses shows that they're into training people properly from the very start.

I can't wait for the course and will probably end up doing all the ones they offer despite them being at the other end of the country. Will have a proper report once we've been.

FYI - BMW Rider Training are running an early season 25% discount for IPT training booked and taken before the end of March and have a brand new fleet of 10 plate bikes including an updated R1200GS. Oh and the Chief Instructor has got a 29 inside leg so can definitely help you get to grips with a 1200! Hope that helps?

I've seen him use the step ladder!!!!!!!:JB

Just done an IPT day

I've just done an IPT day with their chief instructor (who while taller than me certainly wasn't a giant and he had no trouble with the F800 he was riding). I had a brilliant time despite the snowy, rainy, windy and icy cold weather. We started with a 45-50 minute assessment ride and then a debrief and agreement on what we would work on. The training included both theory and practical training delivered in a very patient and constructive manner as well as being totally focused on getting me to be the best I could be. I started off going in and out of bends quite gently - by the time I got to the end of my second ride I was going in and out with a gentle reminder in my ear that they do have speed limits in Wales and the national speed limit was still 70!

We also worked on techniques to push the bike around - being a very small lady I find my F650 a bit on the challenging side. The instructor found me a great position and I can now wheel my bike around no problem - though I nearly had heart failiure when he got me to walk round the bike holding it up as I did with just my hands gently on it.

He was also brave enough (or as he put it daft enough) to sit on the back and let me feel what having a full size pillion feels like on my bike (and what happens when they misbehave!)

It was a long slog down to Wales and the weather was dreadful but I had a fun time and I learned loads, so yes I would say it is well worth the money and the trip. If you are taking the family see if you can get in at the mole Inn to stay - lovely rooms and friendly team there (and it's very reasonable)

I have only had my bike license for four years which means that I had to be able to do a feet up U-turn for the test. This meant the instructor teaching my wife and I CBT and all the skills needed to do the test in three and a half days - 2 days on a 125 and a day and a half on the 500. I had some experience on 125s when I was younger, 15 years prior, wife was a complete novice. We both mastered the skills needed to U-turn a Suzuki GS500 in that time and I can comfortably U-turn my R1100GS with both feet up in a very narrow road, it is just technique.

It seems a simple skill to master but needs to be taught in the right way - starting with how to ride slowly, under control, in a straight line.

I did my test here in Wiltshire, if anyone needs the name of the riding school just let me know.

Chris

U-Turns no problem

I did my test 18 months ago so like you had to be able to do the u-turn with feet up. I was convinced I couldn't do it before I had tried so my instructor put an elipse of cones on the car park and we played chase going round and round it. After a cuppa she told me to do a u-turn. "can't" says I. She points to the elipse which was the size of half a road and said well what do you reckon you were doing there then? I can turn my bike round in half of a normal size road. As you say it's all about clutch control and keeping your revs up (just like the mini - roundabouts when you are turning right!)

Getting better at anything demands:
1. Instruction
2. Practise
3. Feedback
4. Return to 1.

Tips for sucessful u-turns?
1. Get your balance and forward speed (throttle/clutch/back brake) under control before considering turning.
2. Look where you want to go/end up. Looking where you're going takes you there and looking down in front of the bike is just as bad.

BTW I have a 28" inside leg and ride a standard 1200 GS

Good luck

I've met most of the BMW On Road school guys, they are just over the road from me. I also qualified as a M/cycle instructor in the USA where some of the new regs over here were in use.

From what I've seen and heard from the riders that come into our shop after the courses, these are top notch instructors. The facilities are good, there's space, there are good roads to go out on and hone your skills.

Accommodation rates are reasonable in the area and there's certainly enough to keep your family happy while you are doing your thing.

I suppose it's a bit like an insurance policy...you can try and teach yourself and probably get away with it, right up until the moment you wish you'd had training from pros.

Alan & Carrie

Dear Thread

And anyone else thinking of doing the BMW Training.

The wife and I have just completed the Level 3 including RoSPA, and yes it's worth every penny.

The instructors are great guy's and the course is every informative, for both slow riding and advanced road riding.

If you phone the World of BMW, they can help out with the accommodation.

:bounce1

The Mole Inn is excellent - and about 5 mins from the road and off road centre. Food is great (though the portions are bit massive so be careful what you order). Rooms are comfy, clean and well decorated. Thick egyptian cotton sheets, big fluffy bath towels and the showers are big double showers - plenty of room to move around and stuff:)augie)

it's really good value for money too. It's on trip advisor

I did Level One off road at BMW in Wales a couple of weeks ago on a 1200GS and can say its the best investment I've made. When I hopped on my own GSA after the first day I felt like someone had recalibrated me, such was the sense of total balance.

This is because the exercises they get you to do really focus on your balance and control, and when you go back to tarmac things are so much easier,you feel much more in tune.

The second day was spent putting everything we'd learnt on day one into practise with lots of offroading.

Enjoyed it so much I'm going back for Level two in June

I really recommend offroad training as it makes me a better rider on road.

Stayed at the New Tredegar Arms, people were nice, but accommodation pretty basic. Had dinner in the Abercrave Inn which was brilliant. May try that or as everyone is recommending the Mole Inn maybe there!

Hey all

I am on my second 1200GS both with standard seat and I have very short legs, I also ride a 1200RT at work also on a standard seat. My advice is simple, before spending any money, go to a local car park with your current bike and practise. Set some cones or stones out, and don't look down, look at where you want to go. (harder to do than it sounds) If it helps have friend keeping an eye on the objects reassurring you that you won't hit them.
Gradually move the objects closer together until you can do full lock to lock turns.

Once you have mastered this your bike you will be amazed at how it translates. The GS has wider bars and it very easy to control at low speed, So after you have mastered your own bike, go to your nearest dealership and take a test ride and try the same thing with a friend on standby to make sure the worst does not happen. I think you will shock yourself on how easy you find it on the GS.

U Turns.. forget the front brake keep a little power on feather the clutch a little and hold it back when needed with the rear brake & thats it round you go and of course look where you want to go not down there.

i2i Training

Highly recommend i2i: thumb2. I did MCA 1 and 3 over a weekend. Fantastic stuff and Tom is a great teacher.

Tom is the one one the far right of the group with no helmet.
IMG_0277.jpg

Second on the left in front of me. I'm 5' 11" so i'd say Tom is about 5' 6" maybe.
31493_389286686758_547441758_447005.jpg

Standing with Paul one of the other instructors who rides a GSA. Tom had no probs doing the slow speed u turns with Paul on the back :bow.
Oh and it lashed it down in the afternoon so we were able to see how well the bikes stopped in the wet :eek:. Just the same as they had done in the morning when it was dry :JB.

28508_1420436720562_1522008041_3104.jpg

BMW Training

Both my wife and I did the level 2 road training with BMW in April 2010. The training, accommodation and general attitude of everyone involved was superb. Yes, it's costly, but the instructors were superb, the time taken to iron out individual issues was excellent.

My wife has booked for another 2 days of individual training and I have booked the 2 day level 1 off road.

So we both think it was worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom