Bike powered Kenwood TK359 bike to bike setup.

Just a quickie (the way the missus insists on it these days :toungincheek )

I've finally managed to track down an old laptop with a version of DOS that will run the Kenwood programming software for my TK359s - it cost me a whole tenner and I collected it from Dorchester haha!

Ok - the problem.

I can't get my radio to 'talk' to my other PMR kit. I've selected ch1 and sub 10 - the 359's receive light comes on, but no transmission is heard, likewise transmitting from the 359 will light the other radio's receive light, but no audio. As far as I can see the frequencies are all ok - at least according to the list I have anyway.

Has anyone got the actual numbers their radio is using? Is the standard setting channel 1, subchannel 10 ?

Hmmmmmmmmm ... is there any chance you could fire up your 286 and check what frequencies you have for ch1 and its subchannel...?

Muchos amigos!

Greg

this is what I had programmed into mine, which I believe are standard kenwood frequencies. I've not tested them with anyone else's radios yet, so can't confrim.

Channel PMR Chan PMR Freq(MHz) CTCSS Chan CTCSS Freq

1 1 446.00625 10 94.8 Hz
2 8 446.09375 08 88.5 Hz
3 3 446.03125 13 103.5 Hz
4 6 446.06875 05 79.7 Hz
5 4 446.04375 17 118.8 Hz
6 2 446.01875 18 123.0 Hz
7 7 446.08125 19 127.3 Hz
8 5 446.05625 07 85.4 Hz
9 1 446.00625 14 107.2 Hz
10 8 446.09375 15 110.9 Hz
11 3 446.03125 16 114.8 Hz
12 6 446.06875 06 82.5 Hz
13 4 446.04375 27 D132N
14 2 446.01875 28 D155N
15 5 446.05625 29 D134N
16 7 446.08125 30 D243N

I believe that the frequencies for the last 4 CTCSS channels are

27 167.9Hz
28 173.8Hz
29 179.9Hz
30 186.2Hz

the problem.

I can't get my radio to 'talk' to my other PMR kit. I've selected ch1 and sub 10 - the 359's receive light comes on, but no transmission is heard, likewise transmitting from the 359 will light the other radio's receive light, but no audio. As far as I can see the frequencies are all ok - at least according to the list I have anyway.

Sounds very much like the CTCSS tones (sub channels) are incorrect. For the Kenwood TK3201 the default settings are as shown in the 2nd post on this page (download the PDF). Not sure if these will be the same as the 359 but channel 1 concurs with what you've said.

Edit: MrMF beat me to it, if those are the default 359 frequencies and tones then they're the same as the TK3201. Makes sense that Kenwood continue to use the same table.

Do you set the sub channels by frequency or number on the 359 software? Frequency is better but more involved and you need to know the number <> frequency table of the other radio, they do sometimes differ though there is a sort of standard.

motorola pmr (T5522)
as follows
channel 1 446.00625
channel 2 446.01875
channel 3 446.03125
channel 4 446.04375
channel 5 446.05625
channel 6 446.06875
channel 7 446.08125
channel 7 446.09375
plus 38 "interference elimination codes" from 1=67, up to 38=250.3 dont seem to have any pattern to "steps" betwen them.

:)

Just got back from a trip using this set-up... worked great even in the mountains,tunnels etc from about 2-3 miles apart. As far as communicating with other radios... all I know is that when using channel 11, whenever we spoke in spain we had some spanish guy shouting back at us... no idea what he was on about but it did start after we passed a fire station at coll du nagro. :D So they communicate with something !

when using channel 11, whenever we spoke in spain we had some spanish guy shouting back at us... no idea what he was on about but it did start after we passed a fire station at coll du nagro. :D So they communicate with something !

Assuming by channel 11 you were using the Kenwood PMR default of 446.03125Mhz with a CTCSS tone of 114.8Hz.

:nenau PMR frequencies were formalised across the EU in 1998, if the Spanish Fire Brigade are using PMR then interference from other PMR users is their problem. Maybe the polite thing to do would be to choose another channel if it was the Fire Brigade but surely they should have comms outside of public frequencies.

There are some countries where exceptions apply but Spain isn't one of them. 'Rescue operations/fire' is listed as one of the possible uses but that doesn't exclude you from using any of the PMR 8 channels.

Do you set the sub channels by frequency or number on the 359 software? Frequency is better but more involved and you need to know the number <> frequency table of the other radio, they do sometimes differ though there is a sort of standard.

hOLA ...

AFAICS .... it's set by frequency - the software lets me change the Rx and Tx frequencies (for Ch 1 it's 446.00625 for both) and the QT/DQT (decode/encode) frequencies which for Ch 1 Subch (tone?) 10 is 94.8Hz

oK . It's time to 'fess up.

I am a complete and utter cock. A knob of the highest order, with a 3rd class degree in Twattishness...

I went through the whole kaboosh again, input all the numbers etc, pressed the Tx on both radios, got the same lights and Tx/Rx confirm lights, but still no sound.

Then I unplugged the programming lead .... :blast what a f*ckwit! Of course, the programming lead was muting the loudspeaker and disabling the internal microphone, hence no audio.

I could of course have hidden all of this c*ntishness and pretended to have been a radio ham whizz and 'fixed it up', but that won't help anyone not to to the same twatty thing that I did :toungincheek.

So, when you've finished programming your radio, be sure to unplug the programming lead.

Over and out...

Greg

I am a complete and utter cock. A knob of the highest order, with a 3rd class degree in Twattishness...

I went through the whole kaboosh again, input all the numbers etc, pressed the Tx on both radios, got the same lights and Tx/Rx confirm lights, but still no sound.

Then I unplugged the programming lead .... :blast what a f*ckwit! Of course, the programming lead was muting the loudspeaker and disabling the internal microphone, hence no audio.

I could of course have hidden all of this c*ntishness and pretended to have been a radio ham whizz and 'fixed it up', but that won't help anyone not to to the same twatty thing that I did :toungincheek.

:homer :yelrotflm

That's hilarious!

hOLA ...

AFAICS .... it's set by frequency - the software lets me change the Rx and Tx frequencies (for Ch 1 it's 446.00625 for both) and the QT/DQT (decode/encode) frequencies which for Ch 1 Subch (tone?) 10 is 94.8Hz

oK . It's time to 'fess up.

So, when you've finished programming your radio, be sure to unplug the programming lead.

Over and out...

Greg

brave .....and very funny!
good one:D:D:D:D:D

Antenna Adapters ?

Hello

Where do you source you antenna adapters from. I have a Wintec as a spare radio and want to use an external antenna. I do not want to spent £10.00 buying from Intraride. Can you help

Regards

Nigel

Looking for some advise on interference, i have A TK359 powered from a adapted battery illimanator that is powered from the same point as my Autocom unit (12v plug under the seat) i fitted those metal thingys (cant remember what they are called) one on the - wire and one on the + wire on the 12v side of the battery illimanator, Radio and illimanator all mounted under the seat. I have fitted one of the screen mounted arials to the right side of my screen with the lead running down the nearside of the bike, radio is at the moment programmed to the Motorola PMR channels.

I went out Wednesday night for a test ride after installing this set up on my bike and all was fine although i couldnt test the range. Thursday went out with the Garmin 660 fitted and i was getting some intererence although not to bad, but today went out with a mate and the interference was very bad when either of us spoke over the radio, and then to make things worse i started getting a bleeping noise :confused:

Anyone got any ideas as to what ive done wrong or what i need to do to rectify these problems

Ian

Make sure the aerial is not fixed to a bracket that is on the same earth as the equipment or the mighty ground loop will get you.

Even if on one bike it sound terrible on both .

Sourcing an external antenna tuned for PMR is pretty difficult. Especially as for bike use a GPI (Ground Plane Independent) antenna is really the only way to go. Bikes don't have area's of metal like a car body-shell to act as the ground plane. The Bikers Oracle antenna is a PMR tuned GPI job and it works very well. Have a read of the thread from the start to get an idea of the effort that's gone into putting the kit together.

In this case the antenna is a dipole so the issue of loading a whip or providing a ground plane does not arise. They are 22cms long and have an adhesive coating so can be stuck to the inside of a windscreen (mine was made by Panorama and came from CPC in Preston .. about £16)

Sorry should have said this is the antenna im using :thumb2 it is stuck inside my GSA screen verticaly on the right hand side. Would looping the excess arial cable make any difference?? at the moment i think i have 2 loops on the left hand side of the tank under the removable side panel.

Easier said than done............I fink I have a laptop problem

Mr majic

did you use kpg 32d v1
or
kpg32d v 1.21?

Anyone done this with Kenwood TK-3301s (put on an external aerial)? Just got them and we haven't tested them yet fully and have an external aerial setup from Troggy. Had some "other" radios that we returned which were crap while running on bike power. Given that the Kenwoods have a 20 hour battery life wasn't going to bother with bike power.

Just searching for the aerial info on bikersoracle web site but the links not working and google cant find the forum. Anu idea if the web site is still up and running. am very interested in the antenna kit from the website thread. Ta

Back
Top Bottom