shiloh

budah

I will be doing this one. Its in western Tennessee. Camping on the banks of the Tennessee river. It's about a mile from the civil war battlefield. Except for monuments the battlefield is largely untouched due to it's remote location. This quite a haul from the UK but if anyone happens to be in the southeastern USA this one is well worth attending. Oct. 4,5,and6 sponsoring club is the bmw riders of Missisippi. more info on the Bmw RA website.

Budah:
Not sure from your posting whether you've been to Shiloh Landing before or not. I am/was a huge Civil War buff and have toured round nearly all the sites (some on a motorbike). Shiloh is extremely evocative. I was there in November 1998 on a crisp, fresh, fall morning with nobody else around and a thick chest deep mist clinging to the wet ground. You could smell the cordite, feel the buckshot whistle past your ears, hear the bugles rallying Beauregard's men, and picture General Johnstone falling in battle. Over 23,000 men killed in two days fighting . . . hardly imaginable.
Well worth a visit.
Have a nice day :D
Simon

I have been several times. Bloody pond and the sunken lane are still there. It has the largest collection of civil war cannon inthe country. 12 pound napoleon mostly. One memory that stands out is a southern gun made of iron that had begun to split. repairs were done by wrapping iron bands around it. We have a bad habbit over here of ruining our historical sites. I am somewhat of a history buff so of course I hope to visit the UK one day. Oh yeah, it was black powder and mine' balls rather than cordite(smokeless) and buckshot . The place was known at the tima as Pittsburg landing. Shiloh refers to the small church on the battlefield, used by both sides as a field hospital. Shiloh is, Iam told an ancient Hebrew word meaning place of peace. One young confederate private (Owen Stanly) went on to greater fame in Africa with a certian Dr. Livingston! I reside within sight of Kennesaw mountain and it is heart rending to see the way it has been developed.(bulldozed) Still a good place to take the kids for a picnic though. If you ever come to Atlanta let me know, I can show you old shell damage from that time. ride well , budah

Back
Top Bottom