BMW Corrosion problem refused under warranty

Try an Italian Bike...

...and then you'll know what problems arise through the winter.

I've killed two RSV's by riding them in salty conditions and now have a GSA, for the simplicty but, I still look after it every two weeks.

I've just accepted that it has to be done to keep the shine: Japanese and European bikes.

Also, learn to ignore it.:tears

I'm off over to Spain on the 8-30 Portsmouth-Le Havre on Friday and when I get back I'm going looking for a Honda Pan 1300.

Other thing is that BM have shot themselves with both barrels as we were looking to change cars and get a 320d.

Well they can go f*ck themselves as we've decided to get a Lexus is220d instead.

I can advise against an ST1300. My last one had a fault that Honda UK couldn't fix. Also, if you break down abroad (France), Honda (UK) are not interested in the "PAN EUROPEAN" warranty.

The grass is not always greener.

Rusty disc carriers

I had a look at a Demonstrator bike (GSA ) the other day at a dealer in the SE and for a bike that is only a month old I was surprised to see that both front disc carriers had a lot of surface corrosion. Not deep set but badly stained and clearly visible. Again not what you would expect to see on a new bike - is this a regular occurrence?.:nenau

Keep telling you guys why you noooo listen...KTM:rolleyes:

Because KTM are SH 1 T to, you want to see my spokes after 3yrs 14000 mile with regular washing and ACF40.

Just nearing the end of a 3yr legal battle with my 990 Adventure, biggest load of C*** I have ever ridden.

I can advise against an ST1300. My last one had a fault that Honda UK couldn't fix. Also, if you break down abroad (France), Honda (UK) are not interested in the "PAN EUROPEAN" warranty.

The grass is not always greener.

Previously owned a ST1300 for 2 years and 28,000 miles before making the mistake of switching to a "Premium" brand.
Plenty of EU cover available thrown in as a "perk" with insurance.

If you wanted reliability, which would you choose? Honda or BMW?

I'm off over to Spain on the 8-30 Portsmouth-Le Havre on Friday and when I get back I'm going looking for a Honda Pan 1300.

Other thing is that BM have shot themselves with both barrels as we were looking to change cars and get a 320d.

Well they can go f*ck themselves as we've decided to get a Lexus is220d instead.

Replaced all 4 wheels under warranty ( LX400h) because of corrosion:blast.

If you wanted reliability, which would you choose? Honda or BMW?

I have both - lucky me. Africa Twin as well as a R1200GSA - never had a problem with a 1200 (had four and do about 20,000 miles a year)

My point about the warranty, that I may not have explained well enough, is that Honda (UK) did not want to know about my problem - the bike (ST1300) was broken down in France and two months old. The bike had a two year warranty and I was left to invoke my AA recovery service.

I've heard that washing in warm water after a ride through salt actually starts off the corrosion process more so than if you just left it in the cold.

I ACF50'd my 800 before the winter but it still didn't stop these same kinds of bolts from Corroding. It's shitty but I am resigned to it. I clean them up the best I can and when they are beyond repair I'll swap them out.

Because the 'environment' demands safer products doesn't mean quality of those products should suffer.
When a product fails (through ordinary use) it is down to the manufacturers not doing their job properly.
Paint and metal coatings are applied primarily to protect parts from the effects of environment oxidation etc. secondary to that is the aesthetic appeal of a pretty finish.

Zinc plating is used on fasteners as protection it has reasonable properties 'self-healing' being one. Perhaps the manufacturers select the cheapest fasteners with the thinnest zinc coating so any injury to this coating is not as easy to 'heal'.

Manufacturer's responsibility to customers:

Some manufacturers are responsible and some aren't.
BMW are in the 'Not responsible bracket' or the 'Like nailing Jelly to a wall category'.
From my own experience.

The shame is, I like the machine I ride but hate that I am not confident BMW will help me keep it on the road.

Servo Assisted ABS anyone????

corrosion

I have had the same problem as yourself Red 1 I use my bike and wash it when needed, and not just for the show.
.The corrosion started to show about eight months after I had bought it new from Williams in Manchester, (July 2008) and after it had had a trip around your muddy roads, after which I did need to wash it!!
I took it to Williams and their action was to take some photos and send them off to BMW. The response from BMW was like so many 'the bike had been neglected'. The attitude at Williams (from whom I have bought a number of bikes over the years) was basically 'tough we are not going to do anything about it' which suggested that they were not going to attempt to support the claim. I expect that there will be the usual crop of comments about this report from other GSers but the bike is/was for riding and is the worst bike that I have ever owned, with regard to condition. It goes to say, agreeing with another previous post that Williams have lost a customer, it seems that they only wish to sell bikes and not fight a corner.

Lets wait and see what response I get for this corrosion on a bike that isn't yet 5-months old!

IMG_0806.jpg

Its the swingarm on my F800GS, where the coating has flaked off, leaving corroded metal visible. The bike has been cleaned properly on a regular basis, and regularly treated with ACF-50. The cleaning has included a full valet and ACF treatment from the dealership too, just before Christmas.

I've only spotted it today so haven't yet written to the dealership. Watch this space...

You obviously don't look after it!

What do you expect?

Quality? Longevity? :comfort

Wirebrush and a bit of Smoothrite satin black on there and you would never know. Just ride the thing and stop fussing.

caliper bolt corrosion

:thumb2:blastBeen down this road before and got told by dealer that bmw wont change as they only issue complete calipers as theyr classed as a unit and dont supply just bolts and bmw wont replace a caliper due to a rusty bolt head,which dosnt inspire confidence if the quality aint there and cost cutting getting worse on everything ,there cutting there own throats longterm :thumb2

You could always write a letter of complaint to BMW and see where that gets you. They may offer you a good will gesture.

BMW Customer Services
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 8TB

Contacted BMW Customer Services and explained my problems. Said they would contact dealer (Astles) and see if there was anything they could do.

Fine I thought.

Response from BMW after talking to Astles was " Sorry, we've spoken to Astles and they confirm the bike hasn't been looked after as well as it should, so we can't help I'm afraid."

Well thanks BMW, and my sincere thanks go to Astles for telling BMW that I don't look after my bike.
I shall be certain to pop down to Astles and order a new bike off them forthwith - AFTER I'VE BURNED IN HELL !!!!!!

For a few quids worth of bolts they've lost all future servicing, parts, accessories, clothing, and bike sales. That makes sense to me. Well done Astles!

half the problem there is going to astles, should have gone to rainbows instead.

I bought the bike from astles, it's been back there twice in 4 years, and it'll never go back there again.

Rusty bits

Just had the NO!! from dealer.

All down to salt on roads and that's not their problem.
Pissed off as bike only 18 months old with 14K.

I was in the same position as yourself. My 08 GS had bubbles around the FD tube bit thingy:)
Both front and rear wheels were showing the same as you have on your wheel piccy.
I was told that BMW probably would not change the wheels but changed the final drive unit.
I was told that i might be best to buy a rear wheel and when the other one was sent away to be checked by BM i may be lucky and bet my hard earned dosh back. WELL I LAUGHED!!!!!!!! (not as long as my arse points south)

Happy ending both wheels being fitted next week. I dont understand why we had all the dragging of heels.

Give them sihit mate just in the same way as you gave them your hard earned cash!

Good luck.:beerjug:

Sue the local council for putting 'corrosion inducing' products on the road. :mmmm

All your cars are rotting out, your bikes are corroding and theres snow and frost about 6 mths of the year.

You're all mad.

:thumb2:blastBeen down this road before and got told by dealer that bmw wont change as they only issue complete calipers as theyr classed as a unit and dont supply just bolts and bmw wont replace a caliper due to a rusty bolt head,which dosnt inspire confidence if the quality aint there and cost cutting getting worse on everything ,there cutting there own throats longterm :thumb2

Well, I can't blaim BMW for not wanting to replace the caliper because the bolts are rusty:augie

Why don't you just go and buy a set of stainless bolts which won't rust? I know it's not the answer you want but it would sure save all that worry of your bike falling to bits because the bolts have gone rusty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom