BMW Corrosion problem refused under warranty

My 2009 12GSA is in for its 6k service and they are horrified at the overall corrosion levels. The bike is garaged, cleaned regularly, and, for once, not ridden in salty conditions (apart from when I moved house - 3 miles and hosed down before being put away) and often doused in that scottoiler stuff

So far there is corrosion on:

both cylinder heads
both cylinder sleeves
timing cover
engine case
shaft drive
final drive
foot pegs
crash bars
frame at the welds

I am off to Norway in a fortnight for 4 weeks and await, with interest, BMW's response. Photos later.

stop bleating like a load of sheep, just follow each other down to the dealer and order anew one.:rolleyes:

Vote with your feet if your unhappy. If your not willing to do that just shut the fuck up and let BMW ram you up the arse again

stop bleating like a load of sheep, just follow each other down to the dealer and order anew one.:rolleyes:

Vote with your feet if your unhappy. If your not willing to do that just shut the fuck up and let BMW ram you up the arse again

Spoken like a man with a big fat wallet!

Its too late now to vote with my feet, I have already bought a GS. I sure as hell won't be buying another BMW unless they improve their build quality. Ironically one of the reasons I bought a BMW was because I thought they were supposed to be durable and would survive the winter without rusting away. How wrong I was! If I had paid half the price for the bike it might be more acceptable but for the price of a fully loaded GS it should be bulllet proof build quality.

So Mr. Facile, I suppose you are quite happy buying what you thought was a quality product only to find it has issues and NOT complaining. Your comments are unhelpful and merely demonstrate you are a wanker (whilst we are all Tossers)

So Mr. Facile, I suppose you are quite happy buying what you thought was a quality product only to find it has issues and NOT complaining. Your comments are unhelpful and merely demonstrate you are a wanker (whilst we are all Tossers)

I bought an expensive product. Since when did 'expensive' and 'quality' last go hand in hand?

:thumb+1

your other option is to go to your dealership an tell them that you will start in one corner working your way round the showroom telling all potenial buyers that the back up service is crap,That worked at vw for me, obviously you have to have a genuine claim tho,got to say rode my 09 all winter no such problems:confused: but good luck anyway.

What a load of whinging .... :eek:

Just since 1994 I've run the four valve boxers, and now the F800GS for two years and 44,000 miles. They've all been used through the winters ... and I mean used :)

A quick tot up show's I've done about 300,000 miles since 1994 :rob

Not one complaint I'm afraid :pullface
:beerjug:

Let me tell you this who are saying they are not happy with BMW.

May 2009 I bought a brand new Buell XB12ss. Within 5000 miles (1 year) the rear mudguard (cheesegrator as they are known) is bubbling and corroding underneath with largish flakes of paint broken away exposing the metal. The metal is starting to corrode and if untreated spreads itself around to the top of the cheesegrator where it is very visible. I complained to my local Harley dealer and to Buell Customer services. They do no cover this under warranty and told me to fix it myself! This (crap) attitude is not limited to BMW!

You should know that I've only ridden my bikes for joy rides and not through winter commutes. I expect my warranty to cover such things like tis but they walked away! I feel the same about Harley now!

I will not buy another BMW, good bikes but quality sucks!!!!!

Another rather unconstructive post!

I am mid battle with the BMW dealer here in Glasgow and had an hours conversation with Mr Buck Stopper who repaeated BMW's criticism that I had not maintained the bike properly. Apart from being very insulted (many times!) we eventually got past the bullshit (on both sides) and I said the following:

"This bike is the best bike I've ever had. It does everything I want and more and proven to be totally reliable and fit for purpose and KTM, Yamaha, Ducati et al will have to perform a miracle to get me away from BMW. That said I am disgusted that BMW are not willing to even discuss the obvious and clear issues I have with this bike. I am not looking for betterment but for the bike to be repaired by BMW to a level one would expect of an 18 month old, 10k mile bike and anything beyond that I am prepared to fund"

This got an immediate sea change in attitude and I am very hopeful of getting a positive outcome with out needing to battle much more.

Yes, I ride all year round and I wash the bike/use protection sprays but I am not anal about it. I cannot blame BMW for stone chips or the scrape caused when I dropped the bike on holiday but these are in the same place as the corrosion. I am prepared to pay something towards that if it means I get an acceptance from BMW that the corrosion is NOT my fault.

Okay, we hear the whingers saying they'll never own another BMW and that is their choice but simply popping up here and telling us with a full explanation of why smacks of bullshit and bluster IMO

The original post shows a brake caliper with 18 months and 14K on its back :eek:

Here's mine with 27 months and 44,000 miles :thumb

AND the bike sleeps outside :pullface

Spot the difference ...

Attachments

• Caliper.jpg
    Caliper.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 600
  • BMW R1200RT Corrosion02.jpg
    BMW R1200RT Corrosion02.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 629
The pic on the right looks like its been cleaned with chemicals for too long? Much Off? I've been told if you leave much off on longer than 2 min it corrodes metal. I wonder if this chap has left much off or the like on for too long, therefore corroding the metal cause that caliper looks milky!

The original post shows a brake caliper with 18 months and 14K on its back :eek:

Here's mine with 27 months and 44,000 miles :thumb

AND the bike sleeps outside :pullface

Spot the difference ...

Photo on the right looks like the owner has used too much much off or similar and left it on too long wearing off the protective enamel on the bolts. I say this because of the white marks on the caliper.

Typical we winge and moan about corrosion on our GS's BUT quite happily accept breakdowns due to exploding final drives, gearbox failures at low mileages and fuel pumps etc.

We cann't be arsed to strip parts and put in stainless fasteners or get them repainted/powder coated but loads of people on here will happily pay their local dealer larrge amounts of money to replace major componenets that have gone tits up after low mileages.

You wouldn't do it if it was a car

Did the dealers or BM ask if you had used a power washer?

The chemicals in some of them along with the pressure can be a bit too much :nenau

Did the dealers or BM ask if you had used a power washer?

The chemicals in some of them along with the pressure can be a bit too much :nenau

They first said I hadn't cleaned it enough, then when I told them that the muck they had seen was 1,000 miles/1 week's riding they changed to "you should have used a cleaning chemical". When I said that I had, they countered with "it must have been the wrong one" which was bolloxed by me reminding them that I had bought the cleaning fluid from them along with the bike as "BMW's recommended cleaner".

I have not used a pressure washer on a bike for years for fear of damaging bearings.

Just a footnote: I have a 4 years old, 80k mile Landrover 110 which has had a few warranty issues. Landrover have resisted a little but the dealer has pushed them all the way each time up to and including reminding LR that their warranty backup underpins customer loyalty. I just got shite from BMW here in Glasgow - maybe I should have traded for another GS elsewhere.

I am happy with my FJR1300 but life changes and I've only done 750 miles in 6 months rather than in 2 weeks! Too busy at work, got a dog, bad winter No2 .... Still get a tug at the bike strings every time I see a GS rattling through Perthshire!

They first said I hadn't cleaned it enough, then when I told them that the muck they had seen was 1,000 miles/1 week's riding they changed to "you should have used a cleaning chemical". When I said that I had, they countered with "it must have been the wrong one" which was bolloxed by me reminding them that I had bought the cleaning fluid from them along with the bike as "BMW's recommended cleaner".

I have not used a pressure washer on a bike for years for fear of damaging bearings.

Just a footnote: I have a 4 years old, 80k mile Landrover 110 which has had a few warranty issues. Landrover have resisted a little but the dealer has pushed them all the way each time up to and including reminding LR that their warranty backup underpins customer loyalty. I just got shite from BMW here in Glasgow - maybe I should have traded for another GS elsewhere.

I am happy with my FJR1300 but life changes and I've only done 750 miles in 6 months rather than in 2 weeks! Too busy at work, got a dog, bad winter No2 .... Still get a tug at the bike strings every time I see a GS rattling through Perthshire!

Harley did same riggling with me as I had a few issues. Nearly always my fault for things going wrong. It really does put you off any dealer like that. My BMW dealer have not been perfect, but weighing up my dealer experiences they certainly have come out better, although when they say they will chase things up and get back to you they seldom do - this annoys me!

Back
Top Bottom