Why you should NEVER use the rear brake!

Ha, ha.... i have just spotted this thread.... The "don't use your rear brake" stuff is a bit crap... I taught for years and have ridden for a quite a few longer and both brakes are very important.

Not to repeat all of the points above, it is best not to get big assumptions stuck in your head especially if you haven't to many miles under your belt. Always best to understand why you do something as well.

Balanced braking, slow speed control, control entering corners, holding it on a hill, tight filtering etc, etc. Just some of the reasons you can use your rear brake.

Also best not to believe everything that the Police, the IAM, etc, etc preach about bikes. There's plenty of folk that "talk the talk"... Experience is what matters and a brain in your head to work things out:thumb

PS Decreasing radius bends are still in evidence on many older motorway slips, that is why they catch bikers out.
PPS Trials riding was a cracking way to learn about how many different ways to use your brakes:))

Could'nt agree more Mr wrigsby:D

Just when I thought this thread was getting tedious......

:popcorn

The UK doesn't have many, but they are out there.

And as you say, the uk has so few decreasing radius corners but if you listen to all the pimpley youths and their tales of tightening corners they've all managed to find it and ride it. :D

But then I understand the subtext of mutleys simple statement.

But then I understand the subtext of mutleys simple statement.

So do I.
The subtext may well be spot on, but if you mean "even on the few corners that tighten up it's still the rider misjudging them that causes crashes" dont say "Corners don't 'tighten up'". It simply isn't correct.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

North wales

Unfortunately for some, not you it seems, some corners do indeed "tighten up" on you.
It's called a decreasing radius corner.
The UK doesn't have many, but they are out there.

But yes, even on a DR corner the only time it will be an issue is if you have misread it.

Come to North Wales and I will show you a few thousand or more Decreasing radius corners..

The North Wales Police, believe it to be a major contributing factor to the excessive number of motorcycle related road deaths we have up here each year!

So do.
The subtext may well be spot on, but if you mean "even on the few corners that tighten up it's still the rider misjudging them that causes crashes" dont say "Corners don't 'tighten up'". It simply isn't correct.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

I'll remember that sage advice when i butt in on a group of riders having the same "tightening corners" discussion and point out the error of their ways. :thumb

Come to North Wales and I will show you a few thousand or more Decreasing radius corners..

The North Wales Police, believe it to be a major contributing factor to the excessive number of motorcycle related road deaths we have up here each year!

I bet you wont. There really arent that many about in the UK as a whole. I have ridden and driven over a million miles all over the UK and seen very few.
You often get two corners in quick succession, one tighter than the first, but that isnt a decreasing radius corner, even if the end result is the same if you misread them.

But anyhow, how many there are or aren't isn't really the point. The fact they exist is. :comfort

believe what you want..

Edit: Admitedly may not be thousands, just feels like it at times. But there are a lot. Just speak to Paul Cheshire at Bikesafe about them. One of his favourite topics.

Oh I do love a good pi**ing contest on a Monday morning :rolleyes:
What's up - everyone a bit cranky because it was to hot to sleep last night? :D

I'll remember that sage advice when i butt in on a group of riders having the same "tightening corners" discussion and point out the error of their ways. :thumb
Aye, tell em they are tossers that can't ride for shit. No point in beating around the bush. ;)
Edit: Admitedly may not be thousands, just feels like it at times. But there are a lot. Just speak to Paul Cheshire at Bikesafe about them. One of his favourite topics.
There aren't a lot. It might be his favourite topic, it doesnt stop him being wrong. His is simply getting confused with:
You often get two corners in quick succession, one tighter than the first, but that isnt a decreasing radius corner, even if the end result is the same if you misread them.

Oh I do love a good pi**ing contest on a Monday morning :rolleyes:
What's up - everyone a bit cranky because it was to hot to sleep last night? :D
Who is cranky?:nenau
It's called a discussion fella. You know, as in a discussion forum?:comfort

Oh I do love a good holier than thou poster on a monday morning....

rear brake

do your self a favour and ignore your friends bad advice. applying the rear brake prior to the front sucks the back wheel down and gives you greater braking on the front. in the days before abs and riding old gs 100 z 1000 750 fours this would result in immediate crash i the wet......

dangerous advice

Interesting thread:D

I think I'll junk the rear brake on all my bikes;)

The weight saving, will make the bike go faster:augie

:confused:

I like my back brake...........I like scrubbing off speed with it if I have to when I realise the corner I am about to enter is a bit tight ...........it doesent make the bike sit up as much..........and yes I do transfer my weight and countersteer too

I like stopping in traffic without lifting the front suspension and leaving me less able to get my feet flat.(yes its a GS)

I like using it in combination with my front brake to scrub speed off in a hurry coz me and my bike probrably outweigh a small car.

Can I keep using mine please.........

Interesting thread:D

I think I'll junk the rear brake on all my bikes;)

The weight saving, will make the bike go faster:augie

Junk the rider (nothing personal - general advice) and with that weight saving the bike has to go better doesn't it ? :blagblah

:p

Back
Top Bottom