Trans America Trail

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
OK, who fancies this little beauty of a trip?? I did half of it to Salida, Colorado back in 08 on the trusty 1100 but hanker after another go on something a little more manageable on the great roads on the trail.

For those of you who don't know, the TAT is 90% dirt and winds it's way across the US and takes you into some very remote places. It won't be there for ever as the old places and roads are being modernised. The variety of roads, views, old towns and adventures make this a must if you like a variety of dirt riding on all types of dirt roads. Have a look at www.transamtrail.com for details.

Here are some brief details which I'm happy to work on if I can get enough interest:

Trip length: 3 weeks
Bikes: Take your own bike and I'll arrange shipping to and from Baltimore
Bike type: I would take a 650 Dakar, XT660, KTM540 or similar although anything from a DRZ to an HP2 to work well. I wouldn't advise a GS or equivalent big traillie.
Route: TAT from Kentucky to Colorado and back via some very scenic roads
Maps: I have them all so will supply them
Time: I could do this in August/September this year or work on it for next year depending on take up
Luggage: We will stay in motels so will travel very light. Small panniers or soft luggage will be good or even a big roll bag will do.
Equipment: Off road gear is the order of the day. It gets very hot so light is good!
Skill level: You don't have to be an off road god but must be confident on dirt and have mechanical knowledge of your bike. If it breaks, we have to fix it because we will be miles from anywhere.
Cost: If I can get 8 bikes, I'm guessing it will be around £3000 including shipping, flights etc etc
Fun level: Very high because it is a real blast to ride and you will see things that you thought had long gone and a couple of cold ones after a day on the trail are the best ever tasted:beer:.

Come on then, who is up for it before Starbucks and McShite take over the world????:thumb

I'd so love to find the time to do this trip.

Just in case there is some small miracle in the works, when are you thinking of going?

I'd so love to find the time to do this trip.

Just in case there is some small miracle in the works, when are you thinking of going?

What, on your new shiney S1000RR??:augie Knowing you, you would give it a go:D

Sometime in August September of this year or next year. These are good time to go, very hot but at least things stay dry:thumb

Mav, this has got your name written all over it.......

Very very tempting indeed.........

Depending on what happens with a couple of other things - and assuming it's next year rather than this - I'd be up for it... :thumb

Chris

Day length mileage wise ? and are you doing the whole thing start to finish ?

I'm considering it with my Denver mate. He's on CRF 450 and I'm on KTM 400 EXC...

Or are you doing a "sanitised" version ?

Simon

This year - no chance.
Next year - strong possibility.

I've had a hankerin' to visit the states, but no interest in doing the big cities.

Simon

I'll check the mileages but I recall them being around 200 to 250 per day which is tough enough as I distictly remember.:eek:

2 weeks would take us from the start in Kentucky through to Salida, Colorado. This 1st half is really good riding and is a mix of reasonably technical stuff to fast open sections. It would take at least another couple of weeks to get right across to the Oregon coast and that 2nd section is pretty tough in places.

Chris

Day length mileage wise ? and are you doing the whole thing start to finish ?

I'm considering it with my Denver mate. He's on CRF 450 and I'm on KTM 400 EXC...

Or are you doing a "sanitised" version ?

Simon

Simon

I'll check the mileages but I recall them being around 200 to 250 per day which is tough enough as I distictly remember.:eek:

2 weeks would take us from the start in Kentucky through to Salida, Colorado. This 1st half is really good riding and is a mix of reasonably technical stuff to fast open sections. It would take at least another couple of weeks to get right across to the Oregon coast and that 2nd section is pretty tough in places.

Chris

That coffee re Moab and other bits could be a good idea... Dave and I want to do the whole thing. Particularly Colorado to the West given what we have just done !!

The Kentucky to Colorado bit interests, but given he's Denver based we also want to go west from there...

he's done Mex2Can on dirt so a start with you guys might be ok but we'd not turn round in CO - we'd go all the way...

Fancy a coffee or pint to discuss that and Moab ?

Simon

You have a pm:thumb

Chris

That coffee re Moab and other bits could be a good idea... Dave and I want to do the whole thing. Particularly Colorado to the West given what we have just done !!

The Kentucky to Colorado bit interests, but given he's Denver based we also want to go west from there...

he's done Mex2Can on dirt so a start with you guys might be ok but we'd not turn round in CO - we'd go all the way...

Fancy a coffee or pint to discuss that and Moab ?

Simon

Here are few pics as a taster:thumb

Attachments

• TAT.JPG
    TAT.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,729
  • TAT1.JPG
    TAT1.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,735
  • TAT2.JPG
    TAT2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • TAT3.JPG
    TAT3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • TAT4.JPG
    TAT4.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,718
And some vids...no sound but you get the drift:D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lH3p3k8qNV8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lH3p3k8qNV8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/74_6bcJMO8k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/74_6bcJMO8k&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1I2kkyTlnJw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1I2kkyTlnJw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This will definately be running next year in August so please pm me if you are interested.

Nasty1, you have a pm and could Aberdeen Angus, Buellzebub and Earthmover(and anyone else interested) provisionally just confirm you are up for this and I can start really working on the trip:thumb

Back
Top Bottom