And It's Home Boys, Home!!! (+ Happier Pics)

petcul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day as I headed down to Dublin on the Sunday after a fantastic weekend on the MMMMT 2010. The sun was shining and I was looking forward to two days with my sister and brother in law. The weather in Dublin did not disappoint and after a gentle walk on a balmy evening, a great meal and a few pints I went to bed a happy man.

Monday wasn't great. It rained all day and the weather forecast for the Tuesday, my return day to the UK was not bright. But with more great food and a few drinks inside me the world didn't look too bad.

Tuesday morning and I'm off to Belfast to catch the ferry. It's raining and the further north I go the more it rains. Thank goodness for Goretex and heated grips. I arrive at the Belfast Docks right on time.

“I'm afraid sir your ferry has been cancelled, you'll have to go to the Travel Centre” I'm told at the security check in.

I give the reference number for my booking at the Travel Centre.

“I'm afraid all ferries are cancelled today and we don't know if there'll be any tomorrow due to the weather. We can give you a refund”. The polite young man tells me.

“As much use as a fart in a space suit” I think as I remember Billy Connolly. “Not good enough” I say.

“We sent you an SMS this morning to tell you of the cancellation”.

“No you didn't”.

“Yes we did”. (Repeat 3 times)

“We sent it to a number ending 295”.

“That's my land line in England”.

“Oh!” Well, what else can we do?”

“You can book me on a ferry, and, by the way, I'm not riding all the way back to Dublin, or into a hotel until your ferries start operating”. I smile.

“Is Larne - Cairnryan operating?” I'm trying to be helpful.

After a delay I'm booked on to the Larne – Cairnryan 20.00 ferry.

“Oh well, only eight hours to wait”. As I look outside to a grey, wet Belfast day. “I'm sure it'll soon pass!”

Coffee and biscuits are provided and endless texts to wife and friend checking on weather and overnight possibilities, a book finished as well as the Belfast Telegraph, and constant anxious glances at the rain outside which shows no sign of easing soon pass the day! At 18.00 I can wait no longer for the rain to ease and set off to Larne. The roads are flooded and the rain has turned to sleet. A not so happy 19 mile ride. I get to Larne where the security people offer me shelter and tea until it's time to board. The ride to Larne and the weather reports from wife and friend convince me that riding home after we arrive at 22/23.00 is not a good idea. A stroke of luck! My friend Robin is working in Ballintrae and can offer me a bed. Gratefully accepted.

The ride home the following morning was cold, snowy and wet and TWO police speed camera vans. An email to Nutt Travel gets me a full refund. Click on to UKGSERs to find I'm not the only one with an interesting trip home. Well done Ash.

Despite the longest trip I've ever had from Ireland the weekend was memorable. It was great to ride through fabulous country with/without others, making up my own route and meeting others at checkpoints or in the evening. Thanks to

Mandy, Aidan, Jochen, Ken, Jo, Orla, Eoin, Brian, Geraldine, Kevin and Mide.

A brilliant piece of planning, well executed.

Loved meeting old and new friends and I hope to see some of you over here either on BWTI in May or the Reivers Boreen in June.

Some more pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9096451@N05/sets/72157623624787401/

It was a beautiful day as I headed down to Dublin on the Sunday after a fantastic weekend on the MMMMT 2010. The sun was shining and I was looking forward to two days with my sister and brother in law. The weather in Dublin did not disappoint and after a gentle walk on a balmy evening, a great meal and a few pints I went to bed a happy man.

Monday wasn't great. It rained all day and the weather forecast for the Tuesday, my return day to the UK was not bright. But with more great food and a few drinks inside me the world didn't look too bad.

Tuesday morning and I'm off to Belfast to catch the ferry. It's raining and the further north I go the more it rains. Thank goodness for Goretex and heated grips. I arrive at the Belfast Docks right on time.

“I'm afraid sir your ferry has been cancelled, you'll have to go to the Travel Centre” I'm told at the security check in.

I give the reference number for my booking at the Travel Centre.

“I'm afraid all ferries are cancelled today and we don't know if there'll be any tomorrow due to the weather. We can give you a refund”. The polite young man tells me.

“As much use as a fart in a space suit” I think as I remember Billy Connolly. “Not good enough” I say.

“We sent you an SMS this morning to tell you of the cancellation”.

“No you didn't”.

“Yes we did”. (Repeat 3 times)

“We sent it to a number ending 295”.

“That's my land line in England”.

“Oh!” Well, what else can we do?”

“You can book me on a ferry, and, by the way, I'm not riding all the way back to Dublin, or into a hotel until your ferries start operating”. I smile.

“Is Larne - Cairnryan operating?” I'm trying to be helpful.

After a delay I'm booked on to the Larne – Cairnryan 20.00 ferry.

“Oh well, only eight hours to wait”. As I look outside to a grey, wet Belfast day. “I'm sure it'll soon pass!”

Coffee and biscuits are provided and endless texts to wife and friend checking on weather and overnight possibilities, a book finished as well as the Belfast Telegraph, and constant anxious glances at the rain outside which shows no sign of easing soon pass the day! At 18.00 I can wait no longer for the rain to ease and set off to Larne. The roads are flooded and the rain has turned to sleet. A not so happy 19 mile ride. I get to Larne where the security people offer me shelter and tea until it's time to board. The ride to Larne and the weather reports from wife and friend convince me that riding home after we arrive at 22/23.00 is not a good idea. A stroke of luck! My friend Robin is working in Ballintrae and can offer me a bed. Gratefully accepted.

The ride home the following morning was cold, snowy and wet and TWO police speed camera vans. An email to Nutt Travel gets me a full refund. Click on to UKGSERs to find I'm not the only one with an interesting trip home. Well done Ash.

Despite the longest trip I've ever had from Ireland the weekend was memorable. It was great to ride through fabulous country with/without others, making up my own route and meeting others at checkpoints or in the evening. Thanks to

Mandy, Aidan, Jochen, Ken, Jo, Orla, Eoin, Brian, Geraldine, Kevin and Mide.

A brilliant piece of planning, well executed.

Loved meeting old and new friends and I hope to see some of you over here either on BWTI in May or the Reivers Boreen in June.

Some more pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9096451@N05/sets/72157623624787401/

Glad you got sorted in the end Peter..........:thumb

liked the pictures:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom