Front tyre problem?

Gatesy

Reaction score
Having gotten used to strange wear patterns on front tyres, usually leading edge of each block wears more than trailing edge etc, I am puzzled by the current effect. The blebs are about the size of a pound coin and repeat every second tread block right round the tyre. The fine groove that can be seen also extends right round and appears to be connected in some way to the blebs.
Question is, is this a defect, is it safe to continue using, or am I unduly worried. Tyre is Annakee 2 with about 6-7K on it.

Hope the photos appear, this is my first attempt at an upload.

Attachments

• tyre3.jpg
    tyre3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286
  • tyre1.jpg
    tyre1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 286
  • tyre2.jpg
    tyre2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 279
Are the lumpy bits soft in the sense they can be pushed down with your fingers? They look a bit like raised blisters indicating the tread is delaminating from the carcass....

If they are as hard as the tread block next to them, well I've no idea. Bizarre.

i think id be getting in touch with the manufacturer bout that, looks like a manufacturing fault,
dont mess with tyres,,
the lines running round the tyres too. they look odd, like de lamination,like rickG says

Strange thing, my front tyre (Michelin Anakee TL, approx. 9.000miles) also shows those weird shapes, not as obvious as you but noticeable nonetheless...

:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN1481 small.jpg
    DSCN1481 small.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN1482 small.jpg
    DSCN1482 small.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 243
Are the lumpy bits soft in the sense they can be pushed down with your fingers? They look a bit like raised blisters indicating the tread is delaminating from the carcass....

If they are as hard as the tread block next to them, well I've no idea. Bizarre.

Just checked. Blebs are as hard as the rest of the tyre. I thought that it could be due to uneven braking but have had no problems in that area since discs replaced at 6K by dealer, no pulsing at handlebar at any speed.

I did think it could be due to ABS kicking in as we have a lot of gravelly roads around here and it is not unusual for ABS to activate.

Strange thing, my front tyre (Michelin Anakee TL, approx. 9.000miles) also shows those weird shapes, not as obvious as you but noticeable nonetheless...

Thanks for the photos. My blebs are on the left side only, when viewed from the saddle, which could indicate an effect by the camber (here in France) which is usually steeper that uk on country lanes.
Your blebs seem to cover adjecent blocks left to right. Do they repeat around the tyre like mine?

Are your tyre pressures OK? If they were too low on the front, the combination of tyre deformation and the block pattern may give rise to something odd like you are seeing. Check your own gauge against another as they can be quite inaccuarte. Check the tyre manufacturers recommendation for pressure as this may be different from that in the BM handbook.

If you don't need dual purpose tyres try a road only option next time, they are loads better in my opinion and don't suffer so badly from uneven block wear.

Problem with the tyre, take it to your fitter they should sort you out. Although after 6000mls and the wear on it you should be entittled to a small pecentage back.
Just going off the picture though.
Dave

Thanks for the photos. My blebs are on the left side only, when viewed from the saddle, which could indicate an effect by the camber (here in France) which is usually steeper that uk on country lanes.
Your blebs seem to cover adjecent blocks left to right. Do they repeat around the tyre like mine?

Yes they are all around the tyre, even the few which are not raised a lot are visible as they show more tiny cuts than the rest of the tyre...

:eek

Having gotten used to strange wear patterns on front tyres, usually leading edge of each block wears more than trailing edge etc, I am puzzled by the current effect. The blebs are about the size of a pound coin and repeat every second tread block right round the tyre. The fine groove that can be seen also extends right round and appears to be connected in some way to the blebs.
Question is, is this a defect, is it safe to continue using, or am I unduly worried. Tyre is Annakee 2 with about 6-7K on it.

Hope the photos appear, this is my first attempt at an upload.

Call Michelin.

Campbell Road Tel: 017 82401853
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 4EY

They are very helpful on the phone.

They will tell you, without a doubt.

Call Michelin.

Campbell Road Tel: 017 82401853
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 4EY

They are very helpful on the phone.

They will tell you, without a doubt.

Took your advice, the people at Michelin were only too pleased to try and help and after 2 days I received the following reply;

Please see comments below from our inspection dept.

"Looking at the photos we cannot say for sure if the damage is a wear problem or something else.

We would not advise from a photograph that the customer continues to use the tyre and would advise the tyre be returned to Q/TB so we can give a definite answer."

Sort of what I expected really as a visual inspection is the only valid method of deciding on what is after all a safety issue.

Many thanks to all who responded to my query, some with photos. Based on the response from GSers I think I will continue to use the tyre and monitor it closely for any signs of deterioration.

Took your advice, the people at Michelin were only too pleased to try and help and after 2 days I received the following reply;

"Looking at the photos we cannot say for sure if the damage is a wear problem or something else.

We would not advise from a photograph that the customer continues to use the tyre and would advise the tyre be returned to Q/TB so we can give a definite answer."

Sort of what I expected really as a visual inspection is the only valid method of deciding on what is after all a safety issue.

Many thanks to all who responded to my query, some with photos. Based on the response from GSers I think I will continue to use the tyre and monitor it closely for any signs of deterioration.

Excellent :clap

So you get a prompt reply from Michelin and advised not to use it / return it to them..... and then decide to follow the advice from UKGSer.... you could have decided that yourself without any third party input, surely?

Penny to a pound says Michelin will refund the cost of a new tyre while it is returned to them. But by all means monitor away......

No way would I still ride on that front tyre, i'll guess you've never had a front tyre puncture whilst riding? It's very scarey and all thoughts are very focussed on not dieing under the wheels of the next truck that comes along!

Dont be so tight:rolleyes:

You silly boy

Prob old age or arthritis........how on earth do you get 9000 mls out of a tyre and still have tread on it.:nenau

I must be getting old...

Prob old age or arthritis........how on earth do you get 9000 mls out of a tyre and still have tread on it.:nenau

You see, I don't know if it's me or the tyre, I can assure you I'm not riding like I'm carrying boxes of fresh eggs in each pannier!!!

I consider myself an average rider and as much as I used to ride like a complete twat when I had a Duc' SS and Monster, I think I have calmed down with age...

I brake really hard very often, and I wonder if that's in fact the reason why my front tyre starts showing its age... and my ABS indicates this fact via those "vibrations" in the rear brake pedal (either that or it's a reallly odd reaction!).

So to answer your question, it's a mystery for me as well...

I will get "wet-supermoto" tyres next and see how many hudreds of miles I can get from them!!!...

:augie :D :thumb

Excellent :clap

So you get a prompt reply from Michelin and advised not to use it / return it to them..... and then decide to follow the advice from UKGSer.... you could have decided that yourself without any third party input, surely?

Penny to a pound says Michelin will refund the cost of a new tyre while it is returned to them. But by all means monitor away......

Don't know what came over me. Must be a flashback from when I was a poorly paid wage slave. After 6K miles it is over half worn anyway. New one goes on tomorrow. I have asked Michelin if there is a depot over here where I can take it for inspection. Will post any developments for others info.

Thanks again for the help..........mea culpa!

Back
Top Bottom