"Coded" music CDs

snodog

Reaction score
I've been asked to convert some CDds onto MP3 format for a friends new Creative Zen (Ipod competitor)

All going well, except I have a couple of CDs that are video enhanced and I can't get them to play on the PC so that I can get the blasted tracks off it.
All I get is the video option. Now as much as I am enjoying seeing Dr Dre and some lovely hunnies bouncing in his car - it's not helping me.

any hints?

quite a few of those enhanced cd's use a form of copy protection involving a screwed up "table of contents" on the disc to fool pc cd-roms. for instance, they add several files under 4 seconds which are supposedly not capable of being read by a cd-rom, but will be ignored by a domestic player.

i find it's mostly down to what particular cd-rom drive you have installed. i have a samsung that will read anything & 2 others that don't to varying degrees.

also, some enhanced cd's ask you to install a piece of software so they will play on your pc. i have always been highly suspicious of such things & never installed any.

in short, no real answer to your probs, but hopefully some explanation :D

Even though you can get the disc to play does it still say what it is on your cd drive, if so have you tried making a direct copy to you hard drive, then try playing it from the hard drive don't use any music programs to copy it. Just copy and paste to a folder you made up for it.
Failing that make an iso and mount the image of the cd with a program like daemon tools.

I’m not an expert in this so I stand to be corrected but it's worth a go...

Failing all that, for about 1.99 you'll get a 3.5 mil stereo cable from Maplins....plug one end into a cd walkman output or any other cd playing source, then plug the other into the 'in' or 'mic' socket of your sound card.

You might even be lucky enough to have an optical outpput on something and an optical input on your soundcard....then it'll be perfect.

AFAIK you can't cut & paste music cd tracks in windows explorer. icons you see are just links to the tracks themselves, only a few bytes in size.

there may be a way to do it but i don't know what it is.

Not sure if this will work but.....

Exact Audio Copy should get to the tracks and copy them to MP3. If you hold down the Shift (or it may be CTRL) key when you put the CD in then it won't autorun and EAC should do the job.

cheers guys - I knew you lot would come up with something worth a try.

EAC is the way to go.
Will show all tracks, even on protected cd's. It Takes time to convert to MP3's but the quality is second to none.
go here

bob

Beemer Bob is da man !!!!

EAC - what a tool - sound is awesome - does take a while to do its thing but worth it.
Dr Dre is kicking. :smokeboun

thanks all

Back
Top Bottom