Pumpy's Trail Ride

Pumpy

That's short for Pumpernickel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My route will lead us to the north of Llangollen via the Horseshoe Pass and Nant-y-Garth into the Clwydian Range and will include a variety of lanes which offer everything you could possibly ask for -

Gravel
793560563_8DBKN-M.jpg

Rocks
283357188_cfmoD-L.jpg

Ruts
824268156_t5Lfb-M.jpg

Leaves
793552417_hBguF-M.jpg

Mud :mmmm
282773383_4WuNb-M.jpg

Puddles
283372608_6ahcr-L.jpg

... and, of course, the occasional ford thrown in for good measure.
791871798_gq53G-M.jpg

However, all these trails are certified GS-able – because I have done them on my GS and will do so again on the 8th of May… :D

Still, it’s North Wales after all and can get a bit tricky, especially when it’s wet. So I would recommend suitable tyres such as TKCs or similar and the willingness to get down and dirty… :green gri

As Timpo already mentioned, we will follow the TRF Code of Conduct.

This loop leads through rather remote areas of outstanding natural beauty where fuel and cafés are scarce. So please turn up with enough petrol for 100 miles and something to snack on. There is a little shop en-route where we can buy sandwiches if needed but everything else will be done ‘al fresco’.

Start from the car park on Market Street – time to be confirmed.

829708922_B8BNb-M.jpg

I look forward to riding with you!
ricky.gif

Ela

Trail ride

As this is the easier for the novice like me can i add my name in.
not 100% sure what i will be riding yet as looking for suitable toy but will be tenere if nothing else comes along:thumb

Thanks, Phil... :blush

I hope you won't find it too easy on your DRZ. Mind you, you can always whizz up and down the lanes and help pushing the big bikes... :eyebrow

Ok, so far we have:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

Where are you, Bullockbeamer, Aidjay and Rsstler?
ear.gif

I hope you won't find it too easy on your DRZ. Mind you, you can always whizz up and down the lanes and help pushing the big bikes... :eyebrow

To be honest I've never been happy 'whizzing' around on the dirt & prefer taking in the scenery (& taking photos). :thumb2

The Beer Hunter, previously The Doctor. :)

Add Rowan

Hi pumpy,
Please add me on the list for this, Im getting some TKCs on Monday!
looking forward to it
Rowan

Nice pics, Phil, looks like I will do the loop the other way round. Why did you change personalities?

With Rowan we now have:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
4. Rowan, 990Adv
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

:thumb2

Riders update -

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
4. Rowan, 990Adv
5. Mark H-W, R100GS
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

Remember that we're each responsible for ensuring that we carry spare tubes & general puncture repair equipment.

Even if you're personally unable to carry out a repair on the trail, we should manage it between us as long as you have your own gear etc.

Thanks steve, I will get some spare tubes this week, Im getting new tyres anyway, any recommendations for a good source of tyre irons?
Rowan

Thanks steve, I will get some spare tubes this week, Im getting new tyres anyway, any recommendations for a good source of tyre irons?
Rowan

A front tube should normally do (it can be used in a rear tyre if needed). Don't forget some means of inflation too.
Your local bike dealer should stock tyre levers - 3 x 240mm items should be perfect.

If you've got the space, carry a pair of tubes, better than squeezing a 21" front in to an 18" rear tyre.

Tyre levers: I like the Ares / Buzzetti type with the cast lip that hopefully prevents you poking the lever in too far & pinching the tube.

Inflation: 12v pump to the battery or a can of elbow grease & a bicycle pump. :thumb

Welcome, Andy! :thumb2

With you we are now seven:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
4. Rowan, 990Adv
5. Mark H-W, R100GS
6. Andy, 1150GS
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

Ela can you tentatively put me in for the last slot please, as long as it is an easy route that I can manage on the 650, remember Im a girly girl and not very strong, weak and feable, and its been lowered!

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
4. Rowan, 990Adv
5. Mark H-W, R100GS
6. Andy, 1150GS
7. Emmsy Poo
8. Possu (TE) 950SE[/QUOTE]

Welcome, Andy! :thumb2

With you we are now seven:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Beer Hunter, DRZ
4. Rowan, 990Adv
5. Mark H-W, R100GS
6. Andy, 1150GS
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

It's filling up quite nicely now, I'll move into Greg's group to let another suitable bike join Pumpy's ride.

:thumb2

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Rowan, 990Adv
4. Mark H-W, R100GS
5. Andy, 1150GS
6. Emmsy Poo
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

Phil. :beerjug:

It's filling up quite nicely now, I'll move into Greg's group to let another suitable bike join Pumpy's ride.

That's very nice of you, Phil, thanks! :thumb2

And you, Emmsy, stop babbling, please - you are neither weak nor feable and perfectly capable of pushing and pulling a lardy GS (as proven last weekend... ;)). So you will be absolutely fine on the DR - you have done the route before and remember: we are all in this together and no one gets left behind; that's the beauty of riding in a group... :eyebrow

Looks like my team is now complete:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, Ténéré
3. Rowan, 990Adv
4. Mark H-W, R100GS
5. Andy, 1150GS
6. Emmsy Poo, DR650
7. Tinatrim, 1150GS
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

As soon as I know when the Hand Hotel is serving breakfast, I will post the starting time for our ride-out.

Toy update

Will be on Forry's old orange thingy not the tenere:augie

Will be on Forry's old orange thingy not the tenere:augie

What? That one? :eek:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afbuh4BVokI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afbuh4BVokI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Congratulations, Finn! :thumb2

Ok, updated list of the riders & their toys:

1. Pumpy (RL) 1150GS
2. Finn, 520EXC
3. Rowan, 990Adv
4. Mark H-W, R100GS
5. Andy, 1150GS
6. Emmsy Poo, DR650
7. Tinatrim, 1150GS
8. Possu (TE) 950SE

Btw, the one with the smallest bike will have special gate duties... :augie

Back