Opinion on Triumph Rocket 111 please

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got a hankering for one of these, ( I know, =:ymca)
There's one at a dealership not far from me.

Anyone here got any experience of the big Triumphs they would like to share with me?:nenau

rocket 3

mate of mines got one 05 plate 17000 miles no major folts is going rusty cromes crap lights crap even with 60/80 lamps in 160 tank range but he loves it and hes getting a new single headlight one it eats rear tyres and there not cheap

Rocket 3 was not bad, but the Hurricane was a better looker

triumph_x-75_hurricane.jpg

Rocket 3 was not bad, but the Hurricane was a better looker

triumph_x-75_hurricane.jpg

....IIRC, that was technically a re styled BSA (by Craig Vetter).....Something to do with the cylinder angle.....I think.......:nenau

Anyway....Modern Triumphs....Very nice engines, but poor on detail and finish. The dealers (that I have dealt with) are poor, but you can pick the phone up and ring the factory.....My 2p..:)

Anyone here got any experience of the big Triumphs they would like to share with me?:nenau

I had a Speed Triple when they first came out, fantastic bike...Rocket....it's a truck on wheels, but if you like it.... "Who T F Cares"! :ymca

Had a go on one and found it nice and full of torque but to be honest a bit bland ,huge as well ,thiugh doesn't feel it on the move. Have a good long test before buying.:thumb2

Did 480 miles on charity ride round Wales on one with 1 mile on the clock on pickup, had hail/rain/snow/sleet and gale force winds :blast
Fuel range 160 is feckin brilliant for a 2.3 ltr i onlt get 100 if i am lucky on the RC8 and i am running it in.
Finish is as good as any jap cruiser and miles better than Hardley, unlike some other Triumph models they do not seem to use as much stainless for some reason:nenau
Gearbox is the same as most shaft bikes inc GS's its rough and tractor like :augie
Avoid the big rear tyre, yes they are mega bucks but it also makes cornering interesting :augie as in it feckin won't :D
Took me 200 + miles to figure out how to ride it :blast was doing pressups for the 1st 200 mls pulling myself forward, you just lean back strechout the arms and relax, it all comes together then :thumb awesome bike, did you know the pistons are the same as the Dodge Vipers ?

I had one when they first came out and ended up rejecting it due to a persistant oil leak that neither the dealer or the factory could cure which resulted in the bike needing new crankcases due to the staining/contamination :blast

Apart from that it was fooking fantastic and I will one day buy another :thumb

a mates got one:cool:

in short its fuckin amazing:beerjug:

I'd have one but my license wouldn't last a week :(
I've rode several as bikes and then when they were converted to trikes..
Love them to bits
30 mph in top, roll the throttle on and Whoosh 100 mph almost instantaneously so bloody quick !!

Better than any Jap Cruiser I've ridden, miles better than any HD I've ridden..
Seriously on a par with a BMW 1200 cruiser :thumb2

FYI I got over 125 mph on a triked one without realising it :eek on the A30 near Whiddon down :eek......
wasn't me really Occifer it was my doppleganger:augie

PICT1861.jpg

PICT1860.jpg

Attachments

• R3.JPG
    R3.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 891
I thought the black one was :drool

then I saw the plastic top box :blast

As for being better than a Harley .... isn't everything :nenau

but then what is 'better'? :confused:

At the end of the day it's not for the same thing as a Harley (except for perhaps the VRod). It's a power cruiser and in competition with the VMax and the big Japanese rocketships. :cool:

I don't understand them as all that power and speed with no fairing and wide bars looks quite painfull to me :nenau

I've never ridden one, but I would love to get one, for just one thing.

The general managers son had a BM when I had mine, so I occasionally talked bikes with the boss. A while back he told me he now has a huge cruiser that he's customising gradually with bits he has to import specially. It's round about 1700cc and huge...

He was very proud to point out that it's massive... at which point I thought I need to show him a 2300cc Triumph :augie

I thought the black one was :drool

then I saw the plastic top box :blast

As for being better than a Harley .... isn't everything :nenau

but then what is 'better'? :confused:

At the end of the day it's not for the same thing as a Harley (except for perhaps the VRod). It's a power cruiser and in competition with the VMax and the big Japanese rocketships. :cool:

I don't understand them as all that power and speed with no fairing and wide bars looks quite painfull to me :nenau

Try and get a test ride on one Mutters...
At least a couple of hours, they really are THAT good :drool
I'm lucky enough to be able to ride almost any Cruiser style bike [usually before and after it's triked]
from 535 Virago to Rocket3 via Vmax, Dragstar, Valkyrie, Aspencade, Volusia, HD's, VN1500 etc etc
The Rocket 3 is the best by far..
Only ones IMHO that come close to the R3 as a perfect cruiser are BMW R1200C or Valkyrie...

I'd have one but my license wouldn't last a week :(
I've rode several as bikes and then when they were converted to trikes..
Love them to bits
30 mph in top, roll the throttle on and Whoosh 100 mph almost instantaneously so bloody quick !!

Better than any Jap Cruiser I've ridden, miles better than any HD I've ridden..
Seriously on a par with a BMW 1200 cruiser :thumb2

FYI I got over 125 mph on a triked one without realising it :eek on the A30 near Whiddon down :eek......
wasn't me really Occifer it was my doppleganger:augie

PICT1861.jpg

PICT1860.jpg

Bloody gorgeous, thanks for the pics Proff:clap

What would be a ballpark figure on triking one of these (on top of the cost of the bike)?

I have an 05 Rocket, after a few simple mods it's kicking out about 160+ bhp at the rear and 160 wotsits of torque... 0-60 sub 3secs...she's a beast and I want rid...:toungincheek

I've had one for 2 years. It's an awsome bike but I agree it doesn't like twisties. I've been to Sweden & Poland on it but have put a Corbin seat on it

Back
Top Bottom