HELP! Just Bought an XL 250 S Degree. Whatever that is....!

solidstate100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Just bought the above, 1995 model, Australian Import 2003, 10,000 kms.....Needs a little bit of cosmetic only TLC, but on the face of it, seems like a good 'un.
:)
HOWEVER - seems like this is quite rare in the UK and as such am having loads of fun (not!) trying to find spares etc etc - Does anyone know if this model is known as anything else, or shares the same engine/cycle parts with anything else? Its water cooled which I initaly thought was a good thing but trying to track down the engine in any other bike is currently foxing me!:eek

Doe anybody know anything abuot these bikev at all/point me in the right diection/have any info at all?

Cheers all!!:thumb2

Quick! Throw it over the neighbours wall before anybody realises you have it :comfort

I had a Honda XL500R a couple of years ago so you have my sympathies.

David Silver spares - program their number into your phone. You'll be using it a lot http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

SEP at Kegworth when the engine inevitably screws up http://www.sep-kegworth.co.uk/page1.htm

"How many miles has it done" I was asked by SEP
"25k" says I
"Thats good for a Honda. They don't normally last that long" came the reply.

So much for Honda reliability :mmmm

Ho Ho! Just looked on Silvers site. Model not listed

I'll repeat my advice - Throw it over the neighbours wall before anybody realises you have it.

Quick! Throw it over the neighbours wall before anybody realises you have it :comfort

Ah Jeez I had no idea thay are that bad.Surely there not THAT bad?:eek: I only wanted it for ultra mild green laning (im a pussy!) and the odd 9 mile dash to work. Hmmm

Thanks for the replies so far tho, please keep um coming! Anyone got anything positve to say so as I dont cry into my beer!!:(

The engine is out of a japanese/south east asia/australian model nx250 dominator.
TBM did a couple of articles on the model a few years ago (6 or 7) including one which had been quite highly tuned and modded.
Might be worth trying thier back issue department. The bike is more of a watercooled serrow than an xr but it did get a reasonable write up.

wemoto list all the service parts for the MD26 degree

Many thanks for the tips - whats TBM tho? Sorry about my numptyness, only been biking 30 years, might get the hang of it one day!:blast

I seem to recall ...

... that the front wheel was 23" which limited tyre choice a tad :augie

That's the old late 70's XL with the 23" front.

Also came with a chocolate cam :blast

Chocolate Cam ! only if oil changes are neglected :rob

I have owned this one for 27 years,admittedly it has only done 17,000 miles,
but a lot of that has been off road,its ridden daily, completed two Cambrian Rallies and toured Scotland 2 up with camping gear :eek:

The best £250 I have ever spent (2 year old in 1983).

It has never let me down

Trailriding250409026.jpg

Would you ...

... like a Haynes manual for the XL250 ? Can't pm you because you haven't coughed up the £12 to subscribe, which you'd have saved straight away 'cos the manual is free :augie

... like a Haynes manual for the XL250 ? Can't pm you because you haven't coughed up the £12 to subscribe, which you'd have saved straight away 'cos the manual is free :augie

Hey Oblertone that's a very kind offer:D - just to be clear is it for the xl 250 degree rather than just the xl 250? I have a personal e-mail addy if you prefer;- m dot riches at tiscali dot co dot uk

Ive got the wee beastie at home now, cleaned it up and bit and done a few minor mods. Its a cracking little bike actually, but I feel that might be its biggest problem for me - its little! im 6 foot and I just get the feeling that a few more inches (ahem!) wouldn't go amiss. Having said that for cutting thru the city congestion its the biz!:D Maybe if I do stump up the 12 quid ill post a piccie or two..

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom