BMW K1200GT Problems

kabousie

Reaction score
I have a problem with my BMW K1200GT, when it get hot i.e after about 40 minutes of riding the bike randomly stalls.

It then fails to start until it cools down, usually this takes 15 - 20 minutes. BMW argue that they cannot find the fault. They have replaced the starter motor however this has made no difference.

I'm attaching a video of the bike failing to start, as you can hear on the 3rd try it sounds like the battery is dying, I have tested the battery and charging with a multimeter and this tests ok.

Video on Youtube

Hope you can help with some advice.

Thanks

Could it be a ring antenna problem? Not sure what the full symptoms are but I know the bike turns over with the starter motor but won't start. All BMW's have suffered with this recently I think.

1. Battery sounds knacked!

2. Stalling. Have you had the modded airbox fitted with the woggle valve (not sure of correct name) under warranty? Also causes engine to randomly race up and down revs with no rider input.

After 27000 miles on a K1200GT the faults have been:
High idle: 1st fix new airbox by BMW.
2nd fix: Deburr the inside of the throttle solenoid thingy PM me for the how to. easy job i take out the plunger clean and apply silicone grease once a year (the little tub you get with a new helmet and never use).

Squeaky clutch: Replaced twice by the good people at BMW the K1300 clutch sorted it.
Cam chain tensioner: its just had its second, the bike sounds like a bag of nails when this goes.

Clunky gearchange: fixed by, roller bearing fitted to the gear change lever, reducing the span of the clutch lever and lots of miles.
High speed weave: sorted by an aftermarket screen, I cut mine to suit my height ( 2” lopped off).
Otherwise the bike has been perfect.

I have not experienced your problem but it seems the bike is not getting a chance to start due to battery or starter.
You could try jumping it from a car battery to see if it spins up OK.

Getting 2 mates to give you a push to see if it fires up easily with a bump start.
Good luck with sorting your problem and never mind the “don’t post here comment”
Your post is more relevant than most of the content

Thank you very much for the advice, I will mention this to BMW when I speak to them today.

** I'm also a 1150GS owner :beerjug:

After 27000 miles on a K1200GT the faults have been:
High idle: 1st fix new airbox by BMW.
2nd fix: Deburr the inside of the throttle solenoid thingy PM me for the how to. easy job i take out the plunger clean and apply silicone grease once a year (the little tub you get with a new helmet and never use).

Squeaky clutch: Replaced twice by the good people at BMW the K1300 clutch sorted it.
Cam chain tensioner: its just had its second, the bike sounds like a bag of nails when this goes.

Clunky gearchange: fixed by, roller bearing fitted to the gear change lever, reducing the span of the clutch lever and lots of miles.
High speed weave: sorted by an aftermarket screen, I cut mine to suit my height ( 2” lopped off).
Otherwise the bike has been perfect.

I have not experienced your problem but it seems the bike is not getting a chance to start due to battery or starter.
You could try jumping it from a car battery to see if it spins up OK.

Getting 2 mates to give you a push to see if it fires up easily with a bump start.
Good luck with sorting your problem and never mind the “don’t post here comment”
Your post is more relevant than most of the content

Almost a mirror image of mine. Mileage, issues, etc. Sold it after 18 months for a GSA12.
My clutch noise sorted with revised clutch push-rod.
Never had the high-sped weave.

Hi there! My k1200gt (2007) does not react to the key. When I turn the key nothing happens. When I connect the battery the dash-board lights up for a few seconds and then the light goes off.
What kind of problem can it be? I need to sort it out myself, as there are no BMW service centers anywhere around.
Thanx!

Thanks for posting. I like reading about issues that others have. I may learn something now and again. In fact, I rode a k12 yesterday and would need the gearbox mod. That was clunkier than my GS!

Back
Top Bottom