USB Power Socket Weatherproof

Thanks Burnszilla+Paul,

I only ask as i have found my iPhone can be 'fussy' where it is charged from.
I will get one on order:thumb2

Andy

I have fitted mine just under the front seat, left hand side, on my 1200GSA. There is a welded strengther seam at the point where two chassis rails meet and this has two small holes in it. They match the holes on the supplied bracket so it was a simple matter of using tie wraps to secure the holder to the frame. I then wired the USB socket up to an unswitched output on my fusebox which is mounted in the tool tray and voila, I can charge my G4 etc whenever I'm travelling away with engine off. Nice, easy, elegant solution and better than using seperate charging sockets IMHO.

I have fitted mine just under the front seat, left hand side, on my 1200GSA. There is a welded strengther seam at the point where two chassis rails meet and this has two small holes in it. They match the holes on the supplied bracket so it was a simple matter of using tie wraps to secure the holder to the frame. I then wired the USB socket up to an unswitched output on my fusebox which is mounted in the tool tray and voila, I can charge my G4 etc whenever I'm travelling away with engine off. Nice, easy, elegant solution and better than using seperate charging sockets IMHO.

I would like to see a photo of that set up.:thumb2

Thanx Burnszilla:thumb

prompt delivery, and I'm very impressed. I've only tried it with my iphone3gs and Scala G4 so far. But it charges them both perfectly.:clap
:thumb2

Hi, has anyone tried charging an iPhone with this USB product?
Thanks,

Andy

It charges the iphone no problem unless you want to listen to music via autocom (serious noise), I used a spare autocom zumo suppresor lead which works well.

How do we get it for 19.95... I'll pm you my order. I'm after two of them :beerjug:
Sorry, there is no discount. Paypal has no shopping cart discount/promo mechanisms. I had to raise my price because the supplier overcharged me considerably on shipping of my last order. This forum does not allow you to edit your posts like others do, and I could not change the price on first post. :(

I don't know about iphones but from experience HTC phones & IPAQs need 2A when charging and working (i.e GPS/Music).

I have a much cheaper and fully waterproof solution that I'll take a picture off later. :thumb

Great bit of kit, have one fitted to the side of the instrument cluster, out of the weather and charging lead runs up to the tank bag, works on my iphone/ipod/ipaq in fact anything with usb charging havent found anything it wont charge yet.

Ordered mine @ 23:16 on 2 July, Posted @ 23:31 on 2 July, arrived north-east England on 8 July.

Tested on my FJR with an iPod Touch, no problems, works a treat.

Excellent product and excellent service, many thanks Burnszilla

Update: In response to Snoopy's earlier comment, I can't speak for all HTC phones, but this unit charges my HTC 'Desire' no problem.

Glenn

Yeah but charging and running it at the same time is different. Depends if you want to use it to listen to music or have gps nav. :thumb

I forgot to mention my method is crude but works. Find an IPAQ charger on ebay for a couple quid but ensure it is 2A. These are switch mode very efficient. Then glue gun the entire circuitry.

An alternative which works well and costs less than a quid is to buy a 12v 3pin TO220 voltage regulator at maplin, anchor to a block of metal (heatsink) and then solder to a usb cable that you've cut. The only issue being it's not so efficient and will waste some precious watts.

Yeah but charging and running it at the same time is different. Depends if you want to use it to listen to music or have gps nav. :thumb

I forgot to mention my method is crude but works. Find an IPAQ charger on ebay for a couple quid but ensure it is 2A. These are switch mode very efficient. Then glue gun the entire circuitry.

An alternative which works well and costs less than a quid is to buy a 12v 3pin TO220 voltage regulator at maplin, anchor to a block of metal (heatsink) and then solder to a usb cable that you've cut. The only issue being it's not so efficient and will waste some precious watts.

I've used the second method for years now no problem at all.

Hi Snoopy,

Yea, I should have been more specific in my reply. I was messing in the garage for around an hour. About half an hour was with the Desire charging while playing music videos from Youtube over my wifi, so the phone was working while charging, and the charge status was greater at the end than when I started (according to the Android battery status).

But yes, I also agree about the alternatives. Indeed, I use your first option to power my TomTom 'One' while on the bike. I've used this canabalised car charger (which I striped and placed contents into a small box with relevant cable connections to bike & TomTom) for over 5 years now on various bikes, and it works a treat.

The unit from Burnszilla is a nice neat USB unit though, yes it's more expensive, but it's solid, compact and rugged and is an alternative for people who are not as handy with soldering irons :)

Regards,

Glenn

Another one ordered for the better half (Emma)
She saw mine and I got told off for not getting one for her gs

so she ordered her own...

Back
Top Bottom